iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much for a tri axle load or wood?

Started by woodman1876, February 07, 2016, 06:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodman1876

How much is the average tri axle load of logs for firewood costing? Wondering how much you could make selling firewood if you had to buy the wood first.

jwilly3879

Here in the Adirondacks of NY it is going for $100/cord of mixed hardwood.

xalexjx

For trying to buy log length and process to sell as firewood there isnt a whole lot of room for profit. I sell firewood but only because it goes hand in hand with the logging operation.
Logging and Processed Firewood

red

Maybe for beer money . But you will have to buy very cheap beer.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Jhenderson

Around here cut and split is $200 a cord. I think doubling your money with a chainsaw, splitter and a one ton is a better deal than the the guy cutting and skidding gets.

Dave Shepard

$90-100 per cord delivered here seems to be what I'm hearing.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodman1876

I mostly see 150 a cord delivered. It would be nice to have a stack of logs to work on when you want to and for as long as you have time in the evenings. Not  worrying about have to get your truck full if you don't have the time. It would be a was of time and money in fuel etc to get half a load if you can work just a short while.

BargeMonkey

About 100-110 a cord off the truck. Dry split delivered is 225-275. Green just a touch less. I separate the ugly/crooked stuff out for the log length loads, try and run the best thru my processor, all my wood is generally slashed to less than 12' so I cut 1 step out at my sawmill.  Sell a few loads of real big ugly stuff for 500ish, but they really work for the savings.  :D

Mapleman

I've been paying 120 a cord delivered, this is a little high, but I'm getting straight, nice sized, processor quality wood, it'll be worth the extra because it'll save a lot of time processing this spring and summer.
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Mapleman on February 08, 2016, 08:22:45 AM
I've been paying 120 a cord delivered, this is a little high, but I'm getting straight, nice sized, processor quality wood, it'll be worth the extra because it'll save a lot of time processing this spring and summer.
The 10-20 extra for quality wood is worth it. I just bought 20+lds off another guy cutting local, all beautiful 12-18" X 20'+ pole wood, all on a forwarder, I supply a friend who is 79 with a processor and he can't handle the big stuff anymore, his eyes got big when he saw how nice it was.

Mapleman

Yeah, I found that out last summer when I got a couple of loads with a lot of small (3"-4") stuff in it.  Slowed production down by almost half, there's not much volume in those small pieces. 

brendonv

Do you think you end up with more split wood after processing a load of small logs, or a load of large 20" + logs?
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Mapleman

My feeling is that I get more wood out of a load of big logs, but I've never done any actual measurements.  The larger wood sure fills the truck faster though!

BargeMonkey

I run everything from 4"-22" thru my processor. The real big and real small is time and labor intensive. The real nice straight 1'-16" stuff that's still green, Ivery done a cord in 25 mins before. A load of larger diameter will gross more wood, I sell some loads of OWB stuff and had claims of 9-10 cords before jammed in as tight as I could put it. 6-6.5-7 cord is about average for a load. Ive got 25' between the loader and rack, and my processor is inside so I slash everything 12'.

OH logger

Quote from: BargeMonkey on February 08, 2016, 07:06:55 PM
I run everything from 4"-22" thru my processor. The real big and real small is time and labor intensive. The real nice straight 1'-16" stuff that's still green, Ivery done a cord in 25 mins before. A load of larger diameter will gross more wood, I sell some loads of OWB stuff and had claims of 9-10 cords before jammed in as tight as I could put it. 6-6.5-7 cord is about average for a load. Ive got 25' between the loader and rack, and my processor is inside so I slash everything 12'.
X2
john

BUGGUTZ

Last fall here (Northern Michigan) a load of 20 cord was selling for $1600-$1700. A friend of mine gets a load in early spring before the frost laws go on the roads. Then another in early fall. Splits by hand or sometimes on a splitter and easily triples his money. But thats all he does is split wood.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

shamusturbo

Quote from: OH logger on February 08, 2016, 07:45:25 PM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on February 08, 2016, 07:06:55 PM
X2

X3 minus my processor being inside  :(
Stihls 660,461,460,390,200T
Duramaxs 04 CCLB,15 CCFB DW
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

BargeMonkey

My competition down the road has a few pieces of tin on some shoddy 2x4's, my heart breaks inside when I drive by and see them out in the cold.  :D
Problem is, once you build a building around the machine when the time comes to upgrade I'm faced with getting one kind of custom built. We installed a converted gutter cleaner in the floor yrs ago, takes 90% of the chips and bark away, and a sawdust system. 1 cord of firewood makes 1 large trash can of sawdust. We stretched our live deck and added a 3rd leg for shorts, but can only really hold 1 cord. Seen a few processors out MI-WI way that have a 30' + deck, a circle saw like that would keep someone in a machine feeding it constantly, figuring on something that could hold 2+ cord of 8'-16' wood.
I'm weighing out a kiln, we have the capability to put almost 3 cord in our lumber kiln but it's not quite right. I don't see the market for kiln dried regular wood, more for the bundled stuff, I've got someone trying to set me up sending wood down to  some stores in the Hamptons on LI, don't know if it's really worth it.

blackbruin

I get 700 a triaxle load, mainly oak son ash blackbirch maple and an occasional red maple or hickory log or two, roughly 7-8 cord depending on how crooked

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum, blackbruin! Where are you located?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ken

The average around here for a bunk of hardwood delivered in roughly 16' lengths is $850-900.  It is normally called a 6 cord load.  If the same bunk of wood is delivered to a mill and weighed it will consistently be more than 6 and usually over 7 cord using 5000 pounds for a cord.  This of course varies greatly depending on wood species.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Thank You Sponsors!