iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 460

Started by henry co., February 06, 2016, 09:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henry co.

I got a 460 that went through 3 pull ropes in tho days it burns them i change the first one lasted about one minute took it two stihl dealer they put a rope on it lasted about 30 seconds took it back said everything look all right

deerslayer

Well obviously something is wrong. Take it back to the dealer and have them compare what you have with another 460 (assuming they have one around)
Must be the release system is grabbing the sprocket somehow. Is this a sudden problem? ie, it was working fine and now isn't or has this been an ongoing issue?
A recoil rope should last a long time. Most of my saws I've never changed the rope.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

henry co.

Started thursday while it was running saw hasn't been used much didn't use last year bought two years and one month had a two year warranty when yo buy the oil with it

pine

Is the cord breaking on/during the pull to start or is it breaking after retraction while the engine is running?  Is it breaking near the handle or at the attach point on the reel?

henry co.

Its burning into while running about 10 inchs

deerslayer

Can you explain a little more clearly what is happening? I can't make out what you're trying to convey.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

henry co.

It doest break when starting  when running the rope just fall off about 10 inchs in it looks burn

sandsawmill14

sounds like the rope could be to long or the spring not wound tight enough to hold rope tight against recoil housing and that could let slack get loose inside and burn the end off ??? i had a similar problem one time and it turned out to be the end of spring that keeps  it from spinning was broken off. it would hold enough to let you rewind but after a couple of starts it would slip :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

joe_indi

This usually happens for two reasons.
Look at the picture. The rope goes from the handle through a sleeve(marked) into the starter cover. If this sleeve is missing or worn badly, the rope would get frayed rapidly from engine vibrations.
The rope rotor is fixed on an axle (marked) that is screwed onto the starter cover. This axle does not need removal to remove the rope rotor, instead the pawl spring should be eased off. But it could have happened that the axle was removed at sometime. The axle is screwed in with loctite. Once it is unscrewed it is prone to loosening from engine vibrations. When this happens the rope rotor could come in contact with the spinning flywheel. This would cause the rope rotor to spin thus loosening the starter rope, which would come into contact with the flywheel. The result? Burnt out starter ropes. Joe

henry co.

It almost a new saw only about 40 hours of use  stihl replace it factory rope and handle still done same thing

thecfarm

With 40 hours on it,THEY need to fix it.  ::)   You said it ate one up in about a minute??  I guess they need to run it for 2 minutes,the way I see it. Nothing upsets me more than to part with my hard earned money and buy something brand new and have it not work right. I can buy something used and have that problem.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Texas-Jim

Very odd, if its breaking ten inches in then that part should be on the spool, not exposed to a moving part. Is there any way can post a pic? Its a very simple rewind, nothing fancy at all.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

sandsawmill14

wonder if the rope is somehow getting out of the spool as it rewinding ???

pwheel

Strange. Need pix. Just rebuilt an ms460, and I can't imagine how the starter/rewind assembly could fail as described.
Stihl MS260 Pro, MS261, MS440 x2, MS460, FS90; 1982 Power King 1614

joe_indi

Quote from: Texas-Jim on February 07, 2016, 08:49:03 PM
Is there any way can post a pic?
Here are some pictures, and I have shown how a loose axle could cause a problem.
@henry co., How do you release the grip? Do you ease it back to position or do you just let go of it while the rope is fully extended?

henry co.

Its at stihl dealer a rep from stihl going to look at it

HolmenTree

Great pics and advice Joe. Too bad the OP couldn't acknowledge it.
I was waiting for him to answer your question how he released the starter handle when he started the saw.
I've  seen some guys drop start their saws in such a wild crazy fashion that the rope doesn't rewind back onto the pulley properly and burns off after wrapping around the flywheel hub when the saw is running.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

I have a question, how cold and how much snow is there in Indiana when this problem happens?
A iced up rewind or stiff iced up rope can cause it not to rewind back onto the starter pulley properly. Rope derails and rubs against rotating flywheel hub and burns off.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

pine

Quote from: HolmenTree on February 12, 2016, 04:28:27 PM

I guess I have been lucky none of my saws including my 460 have ever had any problems worth mentioning. 
A few lines and a few filters replaced but they work great.
I have however bookmarked @joe_indi pictures as they are outstanding.

Grandedog

Howdy,
   There should be some marks but, if the pulley rubs the flywheel, it can spit out some rope. The classic reason for them to spit out rope is making the knot to big, an it rubs on the flywheel.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

joe_indi

Quote from: Grandedog on February 12, 2016, 06:07:36 PM
......The classic reason for them to spit out rope is making the knot to big, an it rubs on the flywheel...........
Slim chance of that on a 460 Gregg.
If the knot at the rotor is too big, it would block the pawl spring, which in turn would prevent the pawls from engaging.
There would be no way for the saw to start if that were to happen. You get free movement on the starter.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: HolmenTree on February 12, 2016, 04:28:27 PM
I was waiting for him to answer your question how he released the starter handle when he started the saw.
I've  seen some guys drop start their saws in such a wild crazy fashion that the rope doesn't rewind back onto the pulley properly and burns off after wrapping around the flywheel hub when the saw is running.

whether caused by op or not this is what i suspect :)

henry co.

The rep told the dealer to give me a new saw they said they had couple other ones doing same thing that what rep said

joe_indi

Quote from: henry co. on February 16, 2016, 10:18:05 AM
The rep told the dealer to give me a new saw they said they had couple other ones doing same thing that what rep said
henry co.
If it was a new saw it should have 2015 or 2016 marked on the Brake handle.
And if that is a yes, the Starter cover will not Made in Germany on it. It would have Made in Brazil instead.
Am I right?

henry co.

It was made in Germany bought it 2014 it had to year warranty if you bought mixing oil same time

Thank You Sponsors!