iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my first mill

Started by loghomeguy, February 06, 2016, 08:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loghomeguy

Hell everyone!This is my first post just stumbled across this forum while researching ideas for my mill. Wow is there a lot of information on here! I traded on an old home made mill a few months ago. Its right at 30' long it had a 4 post tube in a tube design but the tubes have been bent. I basically cut it all apart and started over. I have been researching linear bearings for square tube with not much luck. I have saw a lot of people use the tube inside a tube method but though there might be a better more accurate way to build it maybe i'm just overthinking it! I plan on using this thing a lot to cut all the wood for my house. I'm building a log cabin using the full round logs for the shell, but i need to cut my roof and floor timbers, flooring etc. Any suggestions on bearings bushings or tube in tube would be greatly appreciated!

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, loghomeguy.  Adding your location to your profile helps with answering questions.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

I use the tube inside a tube  on my mill. Seems to work really good for me...

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,82853.0.html

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

MikeZ

Loghomeguy- I made my mill using the tube in tube style and used 1/2 UHMW at top and bottom of outer tubes. If you look at my gallery the one top view you can see the UHMW held by button head cap screws. Drilled & tapped a lot of holes. Good luck. There is many ways to consider when building machinery.
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

Ljohnsaw

My head rides inside a 4-post carriage.  I cut some 1/4" tube (2x4") into a capital C shape.  Then added UHMW pieces to wrap around 3 sides of each post.  I didn't want to have metal on metal contact.  These "bushings" are mounted on adjustable brackets on the head.  So far, so good.  Best picture I could find of them.  At the top of the picture:

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ga Mtn Man

Welcome to the forum loghomeguy.  You'll find a ton of good ideas for building mills here.  One of the best that I recall is from FF member roghair.  Here's a link to his FF photo gallery:

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/index.php?cat=31167
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

DMcCoy

I wanted replaceable wear blocks, the ability to adjust saw frame "tilt", and the ability to disassemble the saw frame from the carriage with out a cutting torch.  I can also tighten these up to remove any slop.
My experiences with UHMW led me toward building an encased wear block housing with NO bolts in the plastic at all. 
I can adjust the tilt of the saw frame by adding shims under the plastic wear blocks up to @1/8".

Kbeitz

I made a slack adajuster with a rolling bearing.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Solomon

Wow!   You definatly have your work cut out for you !!!!!
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

windyacres207

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 07, 2016, 09:35:38 AM
I made a slack adajuster with a rolling bearing.

Are you able to adjust the tilt of your head with this? Or is everything pretty close when the slack is taken up?

Kbeitz

My tubing is so long that any movement would be in the thousands of an inch at the blade.
If you thought it would be a problem on your mill you could put in two to counter each other.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

windyacres207

Thank You Sponsors!