iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grits with Fish

Started by Sixacresand, February 06, 2016, 09:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

Our Sunday School class recently went on an outing to a fish restaurant.  There were two huge crock pots:  one with regular grits and one with cheese grits, both were like appetizers, all you could eat.  On the table were huge baskets of hush puppies, all you could eat.  Even though I ordered and ate a twelve dollar fish dinner, but would have been just as happy (and full) with the grits, hush puppies and an iced tea. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

sawguy21

I would have picked the fish. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandsawmill14

i like both but have never had the together ??? :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

isawlogs

Only in the SOUTH.....  Fish & CHIPS boys.... Fish & CHIPS     ;D     :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

Quote from: isawlogs on February 06, 2016, 05:48:24 PMOnly in the SOUTH.....  Fish & CHIPS boys.... Fish & CHIPS     ;D     :)
Fish & Chips, only in the Frozen Glacial North.   ;D   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

You boys is crazy.  Of all the things to mix wit fish, disgusting I tell ya. :D

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Mooseherder on February 06, 2016, 07:35:23 PM
i know fish and chips  :o beats all i ever heard of :D :D :D
wait a minute whose side are you on ???  ???
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Mooseherder

(Mama said) I'm from Aroostook County, Potato Country. :)  ;D

WDH

Hushpuppies, cheese grits, and fried fish, a match made in heaven. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: WDH on February 06, 2016, 08:15:08 PM

X2.

And if you are from Central Florida south add swamp cabbage (Heart of palm) to the menu.

Although we have now moved much further north we have a couple of fish fries a year here at the house and we have cheese grits (the grits are smuggled in by visiting relatives as hard to find here) and our friends love the grits although most of them did not grow up eating them. They are a special treat for them and they expect them. Some eat 3-4 helpings of grits before they leave.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

I would leave 3-4 helpings too.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bark Beetle

Doesn't sound to bad either way... guess it is because I'm about as in the middle as it gets.
You don't work wood, you work with wood.

coxy

Quote from: Mooseherder on February 06, 2016, 07:35:23 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Logger RK

Some Wis string cheese with beer batter brook trout,and let's not forget a couple Old Milwaukee's. Mm mm Living The Dream 8)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 06, 2016, 08:15:08 PM

Yep......but some folks just don't get it.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

elk42

Not many grit eater's here in south Arkansas they must have drown trying to swim big muddy after eating grits.   :D :D :D   Fried fish, fried taters hushpuppies, baked beans, and coleslaw.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Magicman

I have eaten plenty of fish and plenty of Grits, but never together.  Matter of fact, this thread is the first time that I have ever heard of the two being served together.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Magicman on February 09, 2016, 01:45:45 PM
I have eaten plenty of fish and plenty of Grits, but never together.  Matter of fact, this thread is the first time that I have ever heard of the two being served together.

MM,

Now I am sorely wounded because I know in the past I have posted about having fish fries here at home with cheese grits and how popular the grits were with our guests. We even had some discussion about the cheese grits vs plain grits. The rest of our menu looks like what elk42 posted.

In fact, if we don't have distinguished guests to impress we may even have French fries or more often baked tater tots instead of grits.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

You gotta remember that I have 10 more years of forgetfulness on my side. 

Not on this thread, but here on the FF is the first time that I remember hearing about Cheese Grits.  Buttered Grits was the only way that they were served when I was growing up.  My first experience with Shrimp & Grits was at Lady & Sons in Savannah, Ga.  Now they were good.  Cracker Barrel is OK.

WV Sawmiller

MM,

They say the memory is the second thing to go and I can't remember what the first one was.

In all actuality I never heard of cheese in grits till I was grown either. I don't remember when I first had them but they are good.

I just recently found out Popeyes serves a Shrimp Po Boy sandwich. I need to try that the next time I am anywhere there is a Popeyes. I worked a 3 month project outside New Orleans and fell in love with Po Boys.
Howard Green

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

isawlogs

That is the way to serve fish & grits.....

I'll saye it again, just for the sake of being clear... Fish & Chips ( Chips here are also known as fries) ... Just for those not knowing.  :P    :) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

I noticed that the Grits container was very empty....eh??   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!