iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Most unique foreign object.

Started by Clevelander, February 05, 2016, 04:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dboyt

Concrete.  Apparently, arborists used to reinforce hollow trees with it.  Beautiful walnut log without a hint of a problem.  Ruined the blade.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Stephen1

I was sawing a table top from a ash tree from the gentleman's from lawn. The tbar and the wire with the hose was all there. The tree had grown around the Tbar.That took a few blades to sort out.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

drobertson

lots of metal, tee posts do great damage to blades, had one much like MM's tornado had to have stuck in, broke off flush with the bark so I never saw it, but the neatest one was bullets, two 9mm butted one behind the other in the crotch of a walnut, way up the tree, third log, someone had to have been plinking at a squirrel.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Solomon

I had a cam shaft grown into the middle of a log,  looked like and old chevy v8 cam.   I didn't hit it with the mill,  I found it with the metel detector.  I cut the log on both ends of the shaft and still got two nice pieces to mill.  One 5 1/2 foot and the other just shy of 4 foot.   Walnut about 28 inches diameter🤗
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

kelLOGg

Quote from: dboyt on February 10, 2016, 09:31:30 AM
Concrete.  Apparently, arborists used to reinforce hollow trees with it.  Beautiful walnut log without a hint of a problem.  Ruined the blade.

I thought that was where "Hardiplank" came from. ;D
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

tomsteve

my total milling experience(to date and not including when i worked in a mill fresh out of high school) was some oak and maple logs from 2 trees from my neices back yard.
but i found waldo!! 8)

Magicman

Quote from: drobertson on February 10, 2016, 09:35:51 AMhad one much like MM's tornado had to have stuck in, broke off flush with the bark so I never saw it
In my instance the T post was driven into the log when the tree was felled across a fence.  No tornado.  The post was broken off during the skid.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

venice

@Kbeitz thanks for the link.

Memorial for all those unknown heros who gave all to serve their country. venice

Deese

Quote from: scleigh on February 09, 2016, 09:50:33 PM
two worst objects I've cut into were an insulator and a horseshoe , both in walnut logs.

you can see where the blade cut the tip of the shoe off. Never new what was in the log until a friend burned the slabs in his wood stove.

Now that is just too cool!
The fact that the identity of the object was only discovered after burning makes it that much better!  8) 8)
This is a great thread  O0
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Clevelander

Quote from: Deese on February 10, 2016, 03:46:22 PM
Quote from: scleigh on February 09, 2016, 09:50:33 PM
two worst objects I've cut into were an insulator and a horseshoe , both in walnut logs.

you can see where the blade cut the tip of the shoe off. Never new what was in the log until a friend burned the slabs in his wood stove.

Now that is just too cool!
The fact that the identity of the object was only discovered after burning makes it that much better!  8) 8)
This is a great thread  O0

I agree Deese ... this is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing guys.
Live your truth and your truth will find you

caveman

I did not saw this but I did see it and do not want to saw it. It probably was not foreign, it is old enough that it is most likely domestic (livestock panel).
Kyle
Caveman

scleigh

I liked the fact that the horseshoe was in the wood stove as well. You should have seen the look on my buddies face that monday morning when he came into work carrying that thing :D

this is my buddy, he's a funny guy, been with our company for 35 years and loves anything to do with wood. This is a pic of a white oak we removed last winter.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 06, 2016, 08:54:28 PM
Not mine but I would hate to saw into this...
COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT OF ANOTHER WEBSITE. IMAGES REMOVED YOU MAY ONLY POST PHOTOS YOU OWN OR HAVE PERMISSION TO POST. PLEASE READ RULES ON POSTING PHOTOS
I did have permission to use that picture.  I've had this picture for a few years.
I ask if I could post it on my tractor forum a few years ago.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

beenthere

Prolly need to attach that permission to the pic you use... otherwise the FF may get nailed for using it here. Make sense?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Clevelander

Quote from: caveman on February 12, 2016, 04:22:05 PM

I did not saw this but I did see it and do not want to saw it. It probably was not foreign, it is old enough that it is most likely domestic (livestock panel).
Kyle

And that is a nice black walnut too, isn't it Caveman?

Kbeitz

Quote from: beenthere on February 13, 2016, 12:48:14 PM
Prolly need to attach that permission to the pic you use... otherwise the FF may get nailed for using it here. Make sense?
Yep... Sorry...
No problem...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

tgalbraith

Quote from: Clevelander on February 05, 2016, 04:41:45 PM
Just curious: What is the most unique, unusual, or unexpected item you have ever found inside a tree you were milling?

I just thought  I would throw this in,  it was funny at the time.  When I started carving my wooden
chain (see posting "wooden chain) and had about 7-8 links carved,  I showed it to my sister in law.
I told her that when I was milling that old pine log, I found a logging chain inside it. She kept pushing
the links aside trying to see a real chain inside the board. That has always been my system on anything
I carved, imagine what you want and whittle off anything that don't fit.

M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

caveman

Clevlander, the tree with the livestock panel inside is a live oak not a walnut.
Caveman

Clevelander

Quote from: caveman on February 14, 2016, 09:37:16 PM
Clevlander, the tree with the livestock panel inside is a live oak not a walnut.

Ida lost that bet. I bet that thing has some beautiful figure around all that metal. Some great turning blocks after I checked it with a metal detector to make sure there's no other surprises suspended in it

ncsawyer

I wish I had a picture, but one of the neatest things I sawed into was a "target practice tree".  In one pass (maybe the second pass)  I cut 7 or 8 bullets almost exactly in two, long-ways. 

They were all the same caliber and all the same bullet.  They all entered the tree in a 8 inch group and traveled the exact same distance into the tree and turned up. Each bullet was facing toward the top of the tree.  So they must have entered the tree and then turned 90 degrees before stopping. 

I could not have cut all these bullets in half like that if I had tried, especially on the same pass.  The consistency in bullet orientation and depth was the most amazing part of it.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Magicman

Maybe he was just a good shot.   :D

hacknchop

I once cut into log full of lead with circular with stellite teeth did'nt hurt the teeth so decided to keep sawing was ok till I hit the nail they had nailed the target with. :)
Often wrong never indoubt

Thank You Sponsors!