iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Most unique foreign object.

Started by Clevelander, February 05, 2016, 04:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clevelander

Just curious: What is the most unique, unusual, or unexpected item you have ever found inside a tree you were milling?
Live your truth and your truth will find you

sawmilljoe

12 inch length of chain must have been put on a branch and in time it grew over . What a bang that was took every tooth off the band.

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

terrifictimbersllc

1/2" twist drill bit in a pine log, hit with chain slabber.  :o

http://www.sheltonherald.com/16885/16885/

Also a mouse.  ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

beenthere

A while back there was a thread on things found in logs when sawing.. maybe someone recalls and can find the right words for a search of the archives.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

All objects are a pain if you hit them with a blade.
The object I guess I hate the worse are Eye Hooks.  >:(

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Deese

When I was 5 or 6 (don't really know when), I stuck a truck remote control in the fork of a magnolia tree and couldn't get it out. The tree has grown around it and now you can still see the tip of the antenna sticking out. That was a good 25 years ago. Pretty cool.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Jeff

By doing a forum search, using tramp metal or the like, you will find a many numerous topics about the same thing.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Nomad

Lots of things are really bad to hit.  But the strangest thing I ever cut was a garden hose wrapped around the tree and grown in.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Jeff

Quote from: nomad on February 05, 2016, 06:28:18 PM
     Lots of things are really bad to hit.  But the strangest thing I ever cut was a garden hose wrapped around the tree and grown in.

Self Watering Tree

Nomad

Quote from: Jeff on February 05, 2016, 06:35:55 PM
Quote from: nomad on February 05, 2016, 06:28:18 PM

Self Watering Tree

Okay.  You got me beat! :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

fishfighter

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 05, 2016, 05:46:27 PM
All objects are a pain if you hit them with a blade.
The object I guess I hate the worse are Eye Hooks.  >:(

like this?

Add a couple nails don't help. >:(

fishfighter

Quote from: Deese on February 05, 2016, 05:50:52 PM
When I was 5 or 6 (don't really know when), I stuck a truck remote control in the fork of a magnolia tree and couldn't get it out. The tree has grown around it and now you can still see the tip of the antenna sticking out. That was a good 25 years ago. Pretty cool.

Lost a bottle of home brew in the fork of a cypress tree one night coon hunting. That was over 30 years ago. If only I could find it. Was with two cousins that night and both passed away. Been back many times and could never find it. :'(

Jeff

I suspect a cousin probably already had. :)

Joe Hillmann

A frozen raccoon.  But that was found with a chainsaw not the mill.

Magicman

Does snakes, frogs, and flying squirrels count?   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

Don't know if this counts, but a snake in the mill ?  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ncsawyer

The hardest thing I ever tried to cut was a porcelain fence insulator in the middle of a white oak tree.  Saw blade smoked like crazy when it hit the insulator and didn't even scratch the insulator.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Ron Wenrich

Ball peen hammer head and railroad spike used by hunters to climb trees are the ones I've had near misses with.  I've also seen horseshoes, and a bicycle wheel in trees (used for a wash line).  The most unusual I've heard about was an unexploded shell in a log from a military base.  It did explode when hit.  No one hurt.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ox

I've only found lead so far.  But a local guy told me years ago he found a cannon ball in a tree once.  It stopped the saw and broke the blade, of course.  It was an LT70 Super and he saws like crazy when he's in it.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Chuck White

Telephone company "J" hooks.

During the '98 Ice Storm the phone company apparently installed numerous J-Hooks on trees as a temporaty measure until the ice cleared.

Most that I've found would have been 15-16' above the ground as installed.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: ncsawyer on February 05, 2016, 09:56:51 PM
The hardest thing I ever tried to cut was a porcelain fence insulator in the middle of a white oak tree.  Saw blade smoked like crazy when it hit the insulator and didn't even scratch the insulator.
Yep, second time in 13 years, last week. This time I sawed in a half inch.   4 degree blade lives up to its reputation & maybe I got better at sharpening.

Magicman

A T fence post driven into the log sideways and broken off below the bark.  It was ~43' up the tree from the butt.

The customer gave it to me as a souvenir.

Thank You Sponsors!