iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Northern White Cedar question

Started by Jackfish, February 03, 2016, 10:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackfish

Hi everyone! I just joined the forum today so I could ask you good folks a question.

I am looking for whole cedar logs for a canoe building project. Specifically, I plan to build a birch bark canoe and I need access to a couple of logs (about 16' long) for fashioning the inner framework. At first, this seemed pretty straight forward, but now that I am trying to go about acquiring the materials, I am at a loss. Some builders I know of obtain special collectors permits from the state DNR and go out into the bush to collect their own (which I'll eventually need to do for the bark). But this approach is not very feasible for me because I lack equipment like truck, trailer, saw, etc. Even knowing where to find it is a bit of a challenge. Both cedar and commercial timber harvest are common in my area (northern Minnesota) so I assume I could purchase logs through a logging operation or from a saw mill locally. But as someone who is not an Arborist or a Forestry professional, I am not sure what my options are or even how to begin. So, if anyone has any suggestions for how I can get my hands on some white cedar, I would very much appreciate hearing your input.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Jackfish.  Adding your location to your profile helps with questions.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Welcome to the Forum, and I'd suggest contacting a local sawmill, a local logger, local forester, county agent, etc. and ask around...
Other forestry forum members may have additional people to ask. 
This forum is a good source of information for what you are going to do. Sounds like a great project.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Jackfish!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jackfish

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.

I contacted my local DNR Forestry office today and they informed me that they seldom issue cedar sale permits. They said that cedar located in a lots slatted for harvest are "reserved", meaning it is left standing. I'll try the county Land Department tomorrow and see what that produces.

snowstorm

a lot of sawmill lumber yards in maine would have it. they even still built wooden boats here. the lobster boat builders use white oak frames with cedar planking. there still may be a few building wooden canoes. the one i had many yrs ago had an ash frame around the gunnels with cedar ribs and planking covered with canvas. the planking was very thin. it also had 1\2 ribs. if you google old town canoe you may find some of the history

Gearbox

Jackfishmost sales in Itasca county always reserve the cedar around Big falls there are a lot of cedar on sales . Trying to get knot free 16 long is going to be nearly imposible . Why don't you order what you need from your local lumber yard from the west where you can get knot free lumber
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Jackfish

Snowstorm: the wood-canvas canoe has a long and significant history up in Maine. I believe there is still a strong following and many people still making them.

Gearbox: I agree, finding a 16 foot piece knot-free would be near impossible. But I would only need about 1/3 of the circumference to be knot-free for its length. Ideally, more would be better, but beggars can't be chooser. Is it possible to order whole logs from a lumber yard??? I never would have thought about that and will have to look into that option.

I just discovered a a really handy resource for locating cedar. The county has digitized maps that are available online that depict some public lands by forest type and stand age.

Gearbox

Where are you at . You may call LITTLE LOGGING in Little fork if you want a few logs . Barbender may know of some around Deer River.
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Thank You Sponsors!