iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red oak knot integrity through drying

Started by bkaimwood, February 05, 2016, 07:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkaimwood

So I sawed up a handful of very large red oak logs, main purpose to get wide 5/4 boards for farmhouse tables. The logs to me appeared to be near prime grade, although red oak by nature has seemed to yield surprises for me, some good, some bad....this case was no exception. I was afraid the boards would be too nice, too clear, and make for too nice of tops when the goal was essentially "rustic" grade or slightly above it. Well, that indeed was not the case...but I'm hoping I didn't end up with too rustic. My concern is no shortage of black knots, which can be trouble in red oak. I'm ok with losing a knot or two here and there, and stabilizing the rest with epoxy. My concern is that I'll end up with swiss cheese boards if a significant percentage of them fall out, and experience major losses. I expect these boards will be in the kiln 6 weeks. What might I expect? Second, and relatively minor...many boards have sapwood edge...nice contrast...I've read this darkens significantly in the kiln? Its good and sound, so I'm assuming its presence has no effect on glue edge tables? Thank you all in advance for your help, input, and advice!!
bk

WDH

I do not have trouble with the sapwood darkening in the kiln.  I like the contrast, which to me, gives the table character and uniqueness.  There are tight knots and dead knots.  I have had some trouble with the dead knots falling out, but not too much that I could not work around it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

That is some really good looking farm table wood.  Are the knots solid or are they a little crumbly?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bkaimwood

I've spot checked them when I was cleaning and stacking them...The largest percentage of them are hard/solid... I determined this with the "fingernail" test...there are a few that may be a little soft here and there, but those are definitely in the 2%. They are by no means, soft and rotten...
bk

Weekend_Sawyer

Ooh, someone is going to get a very nice table.

I read on here somewhere if you want to fill a knot hole and make it dark mix fresh coffee grounds with your epoxy. I have done it and it works well. However what I really like is filling a hole with clear epoxy and dropping something significant in the hole. In my gun room there are some spend cartridges in interesting places. In Diane's sewing room I put a button from her fathers jacket in one. I would think a coin from the year it was made would be real nice in one of those farm house knot holes. 

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

petefrom bearswamp

Like your idea weekend sawyer.
This would definitely lend character and a wonderful memory in the case of your wife's table
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Many of the knots are held in place by the unsmooth geometry of the knot and the hole.  They may get loose a little, but I would wait until after drying to fix them.  The knots that are a little punk will likely fall out.

One nice thing with these knotty pieces that you make into a table, when someone spills milk if will run down the holes and onto the floor and not over to the next persons plate !
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

bkaimwood

Thank you for your compliments and input, much appreciated. Sounds like these boards are going to end up perfect for the job they are going to be used for.
bk

WDH

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on February 05, 2016, 10:52:05 PM
One nice thing with these knotty pieces that you make into a table, when someone spills milk if will run down the holes on onto the floor and not over to the next persons plate !

:D :D

Thank You Sponsors!