iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

any one ever used a 3-71.

Started by jdw, February 04, 2016, 07:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdw

So I have located a 3-71 power unit and thinking about buying it to replace the 300 6cyl on my mill now. Has any one ever used the 3-71 does it have enuff power? I run a 56 inch blade the 300 6cyl has enuff power but drinks the gas.

richhiway

I looked up the h.P and torque of the two engines and they are fairly close. What rpm do you need to run at?
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

jdw

I run about 1800 rpm but looks like the diesel would have more torque.

Ron Wenrich

I've seen a lot of 4-71 power units on mills.  They're rated at 160 hp.  The 3-71 has 113 hp.  The rule of thumb is 5 hp per inch of wood that you cut.  Seems that the 3-71 should take a 22" cut, but you don't have any power to run anything else, like feedworks.  Depends on what all you want your power unit to do.  We used to run a 6-71, but we also ran our hydraulics off of it, and that was used on the edger.  Also depends on how big of logs you're cutting. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Gearbox

I run one on a 50 in blade it is set at 120 hp . I run a 8 in flat belt and about the time it starts to bark I have to stop and put the belt back on . That 3-71 will work circles around that 300  6.
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Possum Creek

I have one turning a 46" saw and it works great they have really responsive governors, I wouldn't trade one 3-71 detroit for a field full of 300 6 cylinder to pull a mill with.                            PC

Thank You Sponsors!