iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 020 AVP kill switch

Started by Jim Davis, February 04, 2016, 01:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Davis

Just bought a replacement kill switch for this saw. The previous two had just vibrated out of their homes while I was cutting.

This is a slide switch that has a curled flat spring under the slide button. The spring grounds the ignition to the case when slid to "off."

Trouble is, the whole switch is a vary casual fit in its rectangular hole. It just slips in against a little pressure, but can bounce or vibrate out of that  hole.

I drilled and tapped a 6-32 hole for a screw ahead of the switch to limit it's travel in hopes that it would stay home. But the first time I went to shut off the saw, it was missing again. (I found it.)

I have both the instruction manual and the shop service manual. Neither of them even mentions the switch, and it doesn't appear in the parts diagrams--just the rectangular hole for it.

Anybody found a way to make this switch stay put?

Jim

dougand3

Welcome to the forum.

Here is the IPL showing kill switch #:

http://www.smaf-touseau.com/doc/568

I have an 011AVT that was missing kill switch. I ran wires to case opening and hooked them to a computer power supply switch.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Jim Davis

Thanks for the parts list. It shows the location for the switch, but now switch.

However, I made a locking plate from a piece of banding. My 6-32 screw holds it under the main part of the switch and in the slot at the front. Doesn't even move now, so problem solved. Thanks.

Now I have to figure out how to keep the saw from eating starter pawl springs. Put two in today and they are already broken. ::)

Al_Smith

The old 020 av's were as big of a nuisance to work on as a Mini Mac if not worse .You have to "deshell" it to get about anything .
Then when it was replaced by the 020T and ultimently the MS 200T they went from the worse to the easiest .

When some day I regain my patience I need to rebuild the carb on mine .I will throw away every slotted head screw on that thing and replace with torx head .What in the world were they thinking? Humbug!

deerslayer

I just listed one of these switches on eBay a couple days ago. Maybe if they get lost, someone will buy it. I had an 011AV that needed some lovin and I wasn't the person to do it so I parted the thing out.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

Thank You Sponsors!