iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help with elect. ign. install on 028WB Stihl

Started by doc47, February 04, 2016, 09:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc47

Newbie here!
I replaced the mechanical points on my trusty old 028WB with one of those newfangled electronic ignition chips. I tried to figure it out from the pathetic little drawing supplied with the unit, but I obviously wired it wrong. The machine starts and runs but I've somehow bypassed the throttle. It runs flat-out full-speed.
Not quite what I wanted!  :o
can someone advise me on how to correct the wiring job? I can supply photos if necessary.
Help West Africa Medicine & Education to aid clinics and students in West Africa. Follow us on Facebook or see www.westafricamedicine.org

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Maybe the mechanical linkage to the throttle isn't hooked up?  Just a guess.

Would be interested to hear more about your motivation behind the electronic ignition chip, and what is to be gained.

Good pic or two would be great.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Remle

If it runs it is hooked up right, you either have it interfering with the throttle linkage or the throttle linkage has fallen apart.  Where did you locate it on the saw? I put it under the side cover with the coil.

doc47

Thanks for the replies. I mounted it under the left side cover.
Reason for doing it was that the old unit conked out and everything I saw on the internet seemed to point toward electronics rather than mechanical points. Seeing as that seems to be the wave of the present -- every other machine I own has electronic ignition -- it seemed a logical install.
Perhaps you have a different opinion. If so, I'm listening.
Please do note that I live in West Africa; Senegal, to be exact. I did the install when I was living in Miss. last year and had another saw for backup. I'd like to get this one sorted out properly.
I will check the linkage! Thanks!
doc
Help West Africa Medicine & Education to aid clinics and students in West Africa. Follow us on Facebook or see www.westafricamedicine.org

doc47

OK. Here's the latest: First of all, I made a mistake when I wrote what the problem is. It's been awhile since I used the saw and my memory isn't what it used to be. So, sorry!
The throttle control works fine. What doesn't work is the shut-off switch. To shut down the saw I have to put it on full choke.
I've created an album 028WB Electrics, but I'm not sure how to actually connect it to this post. Perhaps you experienced guys can access it, or tell me how to connect it to this post.

ZeroJunk

I can't really tell what is what from the photos. But, what you are doing with the kill switch on any saw is shorting the spark to the crankcase instead of through the spark plug. So, when the contact closes between that kill switch it should short your ignition to ground. Normally on an 028 the bottom wire on the switch goes under the screw that holds the cover on right above the ignition to insure a good path. And the wire with the round end goes to the ignition shorting the ignition out.

beenthere

doc47
Open your album in a separate window (or click the line below your post that says "click here to add photo..." and it will take you where you can click "My Gallery" in the menu tab) or click your forum name and will take you to where you can click the line "MY GALLERY".

Once there, click the pic you want to discuss in your post and it will enlarge.
Right under that pic will be the instruction how to "copy and paste" the pic in your post.

Quite easy to do... so give it a good try. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Remle

doc47
In pictures 2 and 4 their is a grey wire nut, what wires are connected to it ? As you have it now I would say it connects the ( Rt. leg ) + side of the chip and the primary wire from the coil. If that's all then you left off the kill wire from the stop switch.. It to should be connected to this location.. according to the instruction sheet from Nova 31-1968 & Nova II 31-8786.

mark3885

I had a  no spark problem on an 028wb that was given to me. On another site I was told to replace the coil from an 029. Did it , fired up on first pull and it runs great . The 029 has an electronic coil not needing points.

doc47

I carefully traced the kill wire from the stop switch. It appears intact all the way. It starts with the spring-like bit attached to the wall in front of the kill switch, makes contact with the kill switch when that is closed all the way, then the wire goes forward then enters the left-side compartment where it ends in a ring-connector fastened to the body of the saw under the new electronic unit.
what have i done wrong?  >:(
I can photograph it again, if necessary.

Remle

doc47
It's as I thought, you are not grounding the system as you have it wired. Cut off the ring-connector from the wire to the kill switch and splice it in to the primary wire from the coil and the wire from the + side of the new electronic unit. The wire from the - side from the new electronic unit is all that should be grounded until you push the kill switch to stop the motor. Just putting that wire under the grey wire nut should make it function correctly..try it and let me know how it works out..
Remle

doc47

Will do, Remle, and let you know. Hope I can identify the coil wire!
Thank you!

isawlogs

Make sure that the contact portion on the switch and the spring that it does contact with are clean and that they do do (Tom) contact together when you have the switch in the off position. Check this with the cover off.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Marvin Fitzgera

I had the same problem with my chipped 028 i looked at it today and what i found was the insulation on the kill wire wasnt stripped before the contact at the switch end was crimped on i stripped it recrimped it worws perfect now

Thank You Sponsors!