iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Woodmizer Fuel Tank

Started by ncsawyer, February 03, 2016, 09:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I like their move and also their tank.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

Quote from: Larry on February 05, 2016, 08:56:06 PM
A couple of years ago I stopped by TK to look at mills.  This is the TK tank that meets new EPA regs.

Its hard to tell but the bottom of the tank is level with the track.  Looks like it would be easy to fill.  On my mill I either have to climb up on the mill to fill the tank or remove it than hoist it back up.  I usually remove it for a fill.  Either method is a real pain.  Every year that stupid tank gets at least 10 pounds heavier.

I asked if I could retro-fit my mill for the new tank but didn't like the price.  I did take a lot of pictures so I could make something myself.  The only drawback is since the tank is so low it requires an external electric fuel pump.  The TK guys told me what to get and it wasn't very expensive at an auto parts store.

If you get a electric fuel pump get a carter which is a rotary pump, I tried  Facet pumps which is a pulse type pump and never got more than a couple of months out of them.  Carters last for years.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

petefrom bearswamp

Mine comes off for filling as my 150 gal diesel tank is about 40 feet from the mill.
Never had a problem putting it back on the mill and no prob so far with the connectors.
I seldom move a mill and this one has only been out of the shed for cleaning at the house 1/4 mile from the mill site or to go to WM Hannibal for repair/adjustment.
My old mill moved once in a while to saw, but I learned a hard lesson when I failed to strap the tank down once.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Larry

Quote from: AnthonyW on February 05, 2016, 10:02:39 PM
Anyone have the specifics on what the rules changes are?

I'm not sure of the rules, but the TK guys explained it to me this way.  The tank has to be sealed with no venting.  That yellow line in my picture is a return line from the carb.  I don't know what it is supposed to return, or how it works.  I assumed the return line is why they lowered the tank.  In any case the new tank, with the associated plumbing has to cost a lot more than what the portable boat motor tanks cost.

Maybe we will get a post from somebody that really knows what they are talking about.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ncsawyer

Quote from: Larry on February 06, 2016, 12:02:53 PM
Quote from: AnthonyW on February 05, 2016, 10:02:39 PM
Anyone have the specifics on what the rules changes are?

I'm not sure of the rules, but the TK guys explained it to me this way.  The tank has to be sealed with no venting.  That yellow line in my picture is a return line from the carb.  I don't know what it is supposed to return, or how it works.  I assumed the return line is why they lowered the tank.  In any case the new tank, with the associated plumbing has to cost a lot more than what the portable boat motor tanks cost.

Maybe we will get a post from somebody that really knows what they are talking about.

Woodmizer said the same thing.  The tanks used to be allowed to vent externally...then the rules changed and they were only allowed to vent internally.  That's when Woodmizer started putting the boat style tanks on their mills and they would swell really badly in the sun.  I was told EPA was requiring an unvented tank...but tanks have to be vented.  They are probably designed like modern automobile tanks with a vapor recovery system. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

homesteader1972

Quote from: Chuck White on February 06, 2016, 08:29:47 AM
I take my tank down and it goes home with me at the end of the day.

If the water tank is "near" empty, it goes home with me too.

I never travel with the fuel tank on the sawmill.

What are you using for connection? Mine has a hose barb and a clamp.
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

pine

Quote from: Larry on February 05, 2016, 08:56:06 PM
A couple of years ago I stopped by TK to look at mills.  This is the TK tank that meets new EPA regs.

Its hard to tell but the bottom of the tank is level with the track.  Looks like it would be easy to fill.  On my mill I either have to climb up on the mill to fill the tank or remove it than hoist it back up.  I usually remove it for a fill.  Either method is a real pain.  Every year that stupid tank gets at least 10 pounds heavier.

I asked if I could retro-fit my mill for the new tank but didn't like the price.  I did take a lot of pictures so I could make something myself.  The only drawback is since the tank is so low it requires an external electric fuel pump.  The TK guys told me what to get and it wasn't very expensive at an auto parts store.

That is nice and I wish mine was that way. 

I was told that the new design requires a fuel line that runs the entire length of the energy chain to get to the engine.  Your picture looks like that is not the design at all.  It appears as if the tank is mounted to the engine/sawhead framework not the mill body/bed framework.  Is that accurate?

I have never really liked my "red"  portable boat tank for my diesel engine.  Red colored tanks and diesel makes me fear a screw-up someday. Unfortunately, that is what TK uses or used to use at least.  Yes you have to lift the 6 gal tank well over your head or use a ladder to fill the tank with the previous design.

Chuck White

Quote from: homesteader1972 on February 06, 2016, 09:32:14 PM
Quote from: Chuck White on February 06, 2016, 08:29:47 AM
I take my tank down and it goes home with me at the end of the day.

If the water tank is "near" empty, it goes home with me too.

I never travel with the fuel tank on the sawmill.

What are you using for connection? Mine has a hose barb and a clamp.

I use the 1/4-turn quick-disconnect that came with the mill.

I believe it is the standard on Wood-Mizer mills.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

homesteader1972

I use the 1/4-turn quick-disconnect that came with the mill.

I believe it is the standard on Wood-Mizer mills.

Thanks, I will check into that. I like the Idea of being able to remove the tank.
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: pine on February 06, 2016, 10:23:34 PMThat is nice and I wish mine was that way. 

I was told that the new design requires a fuel line that runs the entire length of the energy chain to get to the engine.  Your picture looks like that is not the design at all.  It appears as if the tank is mounted to the engine/sawhead framework not the mill body/bed framework.  Is that accurate?

I have never really liked my "red"  portable boat tank for my diesel engine.  Red colored tanks and diesel makes me fear a screw-up someday. Unfortunately, that is what TK uses or used to use at least.  Yes you have to lift the 6 gal tank well over your head or use a ladder to fill the tank with the previous design.

It looks to me like the fuel line feeds into the part of the energy chain that follows the head up and down.  You would probably need 6-8 feet of fuel line. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Kbeitz

For the people that has fuel tank over your head (like me) I use a small drum pump
to fill my over head tank. Makes it a whole lot easyer.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Sixacresand

I have not tried this deal that I bought at a sale.  Seems that it has a pump in handle.  It might be more work than just lifting a full tank.

This is my hose attachment for filling the lube tank.  I drilled out the vent so the tubes for water and detergent could be inserted.  So far it works good a if we're not on the road.

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on February 07, 2016, 07:55:27 AM
Quote from: pine on February 06, 2016, 10:23:34 PMThat is nice and I wish mine was that way. 

It looks to me like the fuel line feeds into the part of the energy chain that follows the head up and down.  You would probably need 6-8 feet of fuel line.

The fuel tank (and the lube tank) move up and down with the sawhead.

I just went out and checked and if I was going to replace my fuel line, I would buy 8', and most likely I would end up cutting off about 1½ feet, but 8' should be enough for the LT40's.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

I am old and getting more feeble every day, but do not have a problem swinging the fuel tank up onto the mill yet.
Sixacres, how often do you have to dump the sawdust bucket?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on February 07, 2016, 03:35:29 PM
how often do you have to dump the sawdust bucket?

The smart guy answer is every time it gets full.

Depending on the width and length of the cut, sometimes at the end of every cut. Sometime many cuts then dump. I hate walking in the sawdust pile.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Sixacresand

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on February 07, 2016, 03:35:29 PM
I am old and getting more feeble every day, but do not have a problem swinging the fuel tank up onto the mill yet.
Sixacres, how often do you have to dump the sawdust bucket?
Pete, I have empty the bucket about every 2 or 3 passes.  I just dump it onto slab trailer that sits next to the mill. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Dave Shepard

I only got two or three cuts on short stuff, and it wouldn't hold enough for a long cut, so I gave up on the bucket.

https://youtu.be/tySbzAfTzdo
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Kbeitz

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 07, 2016, 05:59:58 PM
I only got two or three cuts on short stuff, and it wouldn't hold enough for a long cut, so I gave up on the bucket.

To much kerf... You wasting wood....
Your making some real saw dust....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Chuck White on February 07, 2016, 03:07:50 PM
Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on February 07, 2016, 07:55:27 AM

The fuel tank (and the lube tank) move up and down with the sawhead.

I just went out and checked and if I was going to replace my fuel line, I would buy 8', and most likely I would end up cutting off about 1½ feet, but 8' should be enough for the LT40's.

Chuck, we were discussing the new TK2000 design that Larry posted a pic of. :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 07, 2016, 06:23:41 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 07, 2016, 05:59:58 PM

.110", (.055" thick band), you're not going to get much thinner and move 51 HP.

To much kerf... You wasting wood....
Your making some real saw dust....
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

OOPS, sorry about that, Ga Mtn Man.

terrifictimbersllc

More maker than mizer it looks to be.  ::)  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bandmill Bandit

I use my bucket a lot. I just make sure I have the largest buckets I can get and I keep a larger container to dump into I sell the saw dust. For 45/55 gallon drum 25 bucks and 60 bucks for a 4'X4"tote plus 20 bag deposit. I get more calls for saw dust then for lumber at the moment

on a big Pine or spruce I empty every other cut but with a larger container close its not a problem.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Sixacresand

Bandmill Bandit.  I 'm glad the folks in your area have a use for sawdust.

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Sixacresand on February 08, 2016, 06:59:16 PM
Bandmill Bandit.  I 'm glad the folks in your area have a use for sawdust.

One of the instructors at the high school is very "Green"! He has a very dedicated and significant following in his "Organic Gardening Club". Thats where most of my saw dust goes.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!