iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Woodmizer Fuel Tank

Started by ncsawyer, February 03, 2016, 09:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncsawyer

I was at the Southern Farm Show today in Raleigh.  The guys from Albemarle had a new LT40 Hydraulic, a LT35 Hydraulic, a LT28, and a couple other mills. I noticed that the LT40 and the LT35 did not have "normal" fuel tanks.  The LT40 had the gas motor and had a built in fuel tank.  The tank was plastic, but had a sheet metal housing built around it where it could not be removed so it always has to be fueled up with a can or you have to pull the whole mill to the gas station.  The new fuel tank also looked to be much smaller than the older style removable tanks. 

I asked why the change in design and was told it was because of new EPA regulations.  Glad I got my mill before that design change.

Has anybody got a new mill with this fuel tank design?
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Ocklawahaboy

My dinosaur lt40 has a little platform for you to mount whatever tank on there you want.  Perfect design in my opinion.

Magicman

I have never removed my sawmill fuel tank.  I fill it from a 5 gallon jug. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Got my LT 35 from Jim and Tyler last year. Glad I got it before the new regs hit. I always remove mine at the end of the day when sawing for a customer or even to fill it here at home. When sawing for an off-site customer I stop on the way home or on the way back the next day and I can always keep up with my daily fuel vs operating hours use.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

isawlogs

Only time I have taken my fuel tank off my mill was to change it because of sun drying it out and became so brittle that it cracked and was useless.... twice!   ;)

I am thinking it will be a lot more UV friendly if inclosed in sheet metal!    smiley_sun smiley_sun
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ncsawyer

I agree that the tank maybe more resistant to sun damage.  But the tank looked somewhat smaller than the removable tanks.  I always liked the option to be able to remove the tank.  I am like most of the others that have replied to this thread, I seldom take my tank off and usually just fill it up with a portable fuel can or at the gas pump.  But it is nice to have the option to remove it and dump it and clean it out if you get bad fuel or forget to put the cap back on and get sawdust down in it.  Sometimes I do take it off and take it with me to the gas station.  I do this when I am getting fuel for the tractor on the same trip (I only have one portable diesel fuel can)
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Brucer

I have two fuel tanks. When I'm in production mode in the summer, I have a full one near the mill, ready to swap. I'm only down for five minutes. The empty one gets filled on my way home.

I lost a few tanks to cracking after prolonged exposure to UV. I even suggested to WM that they come up with a cover for the fuel and water tanks, which they eventually did.

I'd be a little disappointed if they stopped making removable tanks. A metal cover that can swing into place over a removable fuel tank would be a good idea.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Peter Drouin

Mine has never been off the mill. I use to with the other 2 mills I had. But, I find the o ring  would go bad fast or lose the prime got so bad I had to put grease around it with a new o ring.
I fill it when I have lunch. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ga Mtn Man

Would like to see pic of this "new and improved" fuel tank. ???
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Seavee

There was talk about the new fuel tank when I ordered my lt50 diesel. I never got a final answer if my mill will come with a new style. I'll know March 9th when it gets deliverd.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

Bandmill Bandit

At the farm show in Red Deer last fall I had the opportunity to talk the Canadian Woodmizer factory rep and yes the removable tanks are a thing of the past thanks to occupational health and safety regs in Canada. Garry, The dealer rep from Salmon Arm told me that the new tank system would start to ship in the new year (2016) so I am not sure what that actual date will be AND I don't know if it applies the machines delivered in the USA.

I doubt that Wood mizer is interested in 2 different tank systems being built in the same plant.

How ever for any one interested I did a mod for my tanks over the last year and that mod is in the usefull sawmill mods thread. My new fuel tank is older than my son. It is a Gerry can that I bought at a farm fuel store while on my honey moon in 1977 some where in southern Saskatchewan on the way to Yellowstone. The filler tube had wore out but the tank was still in excellent shape so it got repurposed to the mill for a fuel tank. It is a 5 Imperial gallon can and i think it will last as long as the mill does.

My water mod tank is in the usefull mods thread and it will like last as long as the mill does too.

Don't know what the new tank system looks like but I am sure permanent tanks will be a somewhat of a pain pain.     
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

KirkD

I can't imagine OSHA or any other regulatory agency approving of filling a gas tank that is mounted above your head.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

beenthere

Just another good excuse to make a mod on the new mills...  8)

I suspect the new enclosed tank maybe had to do with transporting the mill with a fuel tank just strapped on (in case of an accident). But admit I do not know....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Quotefilling a gas tank that is mounted above your head.
My tank stays on the sawmill and it is never above my head when I fill it.  It is waist high.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

Quote from: Magicman on February 05, 2016, 12:24:00 PM
My tank stays on the sawmill and it is never above my head when I fill it.  It is waist high.

Do you take it down every time you refuel  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jim_Rogers

I was told that recently the DOT cops have been cracking down on landscapers with trailers behind trucks. At the front of the trailer is a shelf with lots of gas jugs on them for the equipment. If a gas jug isn't secured to the trailer with something like a buggy cord or a rope, it's a fine.
If the pouring spout is sticking out, it's a fine.

The fellow who told me the story said he had heard it from several different landscapers.

I don't know for sure.

When I travel down the road with my mill the WM cover is over the gas jug on the mill so you can't see it. I hold the cover on with the buggies from the water jug. All is secure per manufacturer's specs.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Bandmill Bandit

i replaced my straps when i did my tank mods because my tanks are biggar now. I Picked up heavy duty neoprene straps because of the possibility of fuel spills happening. I rarely remove my tank to fill as I just pull into the gas station on the way to the job and top up. When I am on a longer term job I have 2X3 Imp gallon plastic gas cans that I use to refuel.

The opening on the mill tank is big enough that the opening on the 3 gal jug just nicely fits in side. I make sure I dont fill the 2X3 gallon jugs right full so I can invert them into the mill tank opening with out spillage. It works very well and those 2 jugs give me a full mill tank of 6 imp gal.

Pic of modified tanks

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on February 05, 2016, 01:45:41 PM
I was told that recently the DOT cops have been cracking down on landscapers with trailers behind trucks. At the front of the trailer is a shelf with lots of gas jugs on them for the equipment. If a gas jug isn't secured to the trailer with something like a buggy cord or a rope, it's a fine.
If the pouring spout is sticking out, it's a fine.

The fellow who told me the story said he had heard it from several different landscapers.

I don't know for sure.

When I travel down the road with my mill the WM cover is over the gas jug on the mill so you can't see it. I hold the cover on with the buggies from the water jug. All is secure per manufacturer's specs.

Jim Rogers

Jim,

Most of my fuel spots stick out. I never heard of that as a problem. I have a couple where the spout can be kept inside till used but most just screw on to the can with a 6" spout with a little plastic cap that tends to get lost. Not the best situation but all I have found on the market. And if they make our "safety cans" any safer I will never get any gas out of them. They no longer even put the air vent on the ones I see for sale.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

landscraper

The metal safety cans without the flex nozzles pour just as fast as you want to go with no glugging. That's all I use, 5 gal. for straight gas and 2 gal. for chainsaw gas.

My LT35 fuel line has a spring loaded bayonet fitting and it hasn't lost prime yet but it is still young.

Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Magicman

Quote from: isawlogs on February 05, 2016, 01:01:52 PM
Quote from: Magicman on February 05, 2016, 12:24:00 PM
Do you take it down every time you refuel  ???
Nope, I do not remove the tank, I strand on the sawmill and pour it in.

Larry

A couple of years ago I stopped by TK to look at mills.  This is the TK tank that meets new EPA regs.

Its hard to tell but the bottom of the tank is level with the track.  Looks like it would be easy to fill.  On my mill I either have to climb up on the mill to fill the tank or remove it than hoist it back up.  I usually remove it for a fill.  Either method is a real pain.  Every year that stupid tank gets at least 10 pounds heavier.

I asked if I could retro-fit my mill for the new tank but didn't like the price.  I did take a lot of pictures so I could make something myself.  The only drawback is since the tank is so low it requires an external electric fuel pump.  The TK guys told me what to get and it wasn't very expensive at an auto parts store.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Seavee

That's a good looking tank. The black poly will hold up good to the sun. You just can't see how full it is.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

AnthonyW

Anyone have the specifics on what the rules changes are?
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Chuck White

I take my tank down and it goes home with me at the end of the day.

If the water tank is "near" empty, it goes home with me too.

I never travel with the fuel tank on the sawmill.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Larry on February 05, 2016, 08:56:06 PM
A couple of years ago I stopped by TK to look at mills.  This is the TK tank that meets new EPA regs.

Its hard to tell but the bottom of the tank is level with the track.  Looks like it would be easy to fill.  On my mill I either have to climb up on the mill to fill the tank or remove it than hoist it back up.  I usually remove it for a fill.  Either method is a real pain.  Every year that stupid tank gets at least 10 pounds heavier.

I asked if I could retro-fit my mill for the new tank but didn't like the price.  I did take a lot of pictures so I could make something myself.  The only drawback is since the tank is so low it requires an external electric fuel pump.  The TK guys told me what to get and it wasn't very expensive at an auto parts store.

I had noticed in recent pics of new TK mills that the tank had been moved and was wondering why.  Now I know.   :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

I like their move and also their tank.   :)

ladylake

If you get a electric fuel pump get a carter which is a rotary pump, I tried  Facet pumps which is a pulse type pump and never got more than a couple of months out of them.  Carters last for years.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

petefrom bearswamp

Mine comes off for filling as my 150 gal diesel tank is about 40 feet from the mill.
Never had a problem putting it back on the mill and no prob so far with the connectors.
I seldom move a mill and this one has only been out of the shed for cleaning at the house 1/4 mile from the mill site or to go to WM Hannibal for repair/adjustment.
My old mill moved once in a while to saw, but I learned a hard lesson when I failed to strap the tank down once.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Larry

Quote from: AnthonyW on February 05, 2016, 10:02:39 PM

I'm not sure of the rules, but the TK guys explained it to me this way.  The tank has to be sealed with no venting.  That yellow line in my picture is a return line from the carb.  I don't know what it is supposed to return, or how it works.  I assumed the return line is why they lowered the tank.  In any case the new tank, with the associated plumbing has to cost a lot more than what the portable boat motor tanks cost.

Maybe we will get a post from somebody that really knows what they are talking about.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ncsawyer

Quote from: Larry on February 06, 2016, 12:02:53 PM
Quote from: AnthonyW on February 05, 2016, 10:02:39 PM

I'm not sure of the rules, but the TK guys explained it to me this way.  The tank has to be sealed with no venting.  That yellow line in my picture is a return line from the carb.  I don't know what it is supposed to return, or how it works.  I assumed the return line is why they lowered the tank.  In any case the new tank, with the associated plumbing has to cost a lot more than what the portable boat motor tanks cost.

Maybe we will get a post from somebody that really knows what they are talking about.

Woodmizer said the same thing.  The tanks used to be allowed to vent externally...then the rules changed and they were only allowed to vent internally.  That's when Woodmizer started putting the boat style tanks on their mills and they would swell really badly in the sun.  I was told EPA was requiring an unvented tank...but tanks have to be vented.  They are probably designed like modern automobile tanks with a vapor recovery system. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

homesteader1972

Quote from: Chuck White on February 06, 2016, 08:29:47 AM

What are you using for connection? Mine has a hose barb and a clamp.
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

pine

That is nice and I wish mine was that way. 

I was told that the new design requires a fuel line that runs the entire length of the energy chain to get to the engine.  Your picture looks like that is not the design at all.  It appears as if the tank is mounted to the engine/sawhead framework not the mill body/bed framework.  Is that accurate?

I have never really liked my "red"  portable boat tank for my diesel engine.  Red colored tanks and diesel makes me fear a screw-up someday. Unfortunately, that is what TK uses or used to use at least.  Yes you have to lift the 6 gal tank well over your head or use a ladder to fill the tank with the previous design.

Chuck White

Quote from: homesteader1972 on February 06, 2016, 09:32:14 PM
Quote from: Chuck White on February 06, 2016, 08:29:47 AM

What are you using for connection? Mine has a hose barb and a clamp.

I use the 1/4-turn quick-disconnect that came with the mill.

I believe it is the standard on Wood-Mizer mills.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

homesteader1972

I use the 1/4-turn quick-disconnect that came with the mill.

I believe it is the standard on Wood-Mizer mills.

Thanks, I will check into that. I like the Idea of being able to remove the tank.
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: pine on February 06, 2016, 10:23:34 PMThat is nice and I wish mine was that way. 

I was told that the new design requires a fuel line that runs the entire length of the energy chain to get to the engine.  Your picture looks like that is not the design at all.  It appears as if the tank is mounted to the engine/sawhead framework not the mill body/bed framework.  Is that accurate?

I have never really liked my "red"  portable boat tank for my diesel engine.  Red colored tanks and diesel makes me fear a screw-up someday. Unfortunately, that is what TK uses or used to use at least.  Yes you have to lift the 6 gal tank well over your head or use a ladder to fill the tank with the previous design.

It looks to me like the fuel line feeds into the part of the energy chain that follows the head up and down.  You would probably need 6-8 feet of fuel line. 

Kbeitz

For the people that has fuel tank over your head (like me) I use a small drum pump
to fill my over head tank. Makes it a whole lot easyer.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Sixacresand

I have not tried this deal that I bought at a sale.  Seems that it has a pump in handle.  It might be more work than just lifting a full tank.

This is my hose attachment for filling the lube tank.  I drilled out the vent so the tubes for water and detergent could be inserted.  So far it works good a if we're not on the road.

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on February 07, 2016, 07:55:27 AM
Quote from: pine on February 06, 2016, 10:23:34 PMThat is nice and I wish mine was that way. 

It looks to me like the fuel line feeds into the part of the energy chain that follows the head up and down.  You would probably need 6-8 feet of fuel line.

The fuel tank (and the lube tank) move up and down with the sawhead.

I just went out and checked and if I was going to replace my fuel line, I would buy 8', and most likely I would end up cutting off about 1½ feet, but 8' should be enough for the LT40's.

petefrom bearswamp

I am old and getting more feeble every day, but do not have a problem swinging the fuel tank up onto the mill yet.
Sixacres, how often do you have to dump the sawdust bucket?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on February 07, 2016, 03:35:29 PM
how often do you have to dump the sawdust bucket?

The smart guy answer is every time it gets full.

Depending on the width and length of the cut, sometimes at the end of every cut. Sometime many cuts then dump. I hate walking in the sawdust pile.

Jim Rogers

Sixacresand

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on February 07, 2016, 03:35:29 PM
I am old and getting more feeble every day, but do not have a problem swinging the fuel tank up onto the mill yet.
Sixacres, how often do you have to dump the sawdust bucket?
Pete, I have empty the bucket about every 2 or 3 passes.  I just dump it onto slab trailer that sits next to the mill. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Dave Shepard

I only got two or three cuts on short stuff, and it wouldn't hold enough for a long cut, so I gave up on the bucket.

https://youtu.be/tySbzAfTzdo
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Kbeitz

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 07, 2016, 05:59:58 PM
I only got two or three cuts on short stuff, and it wouldn't hold enough for a long cut, so I gave up on the bucket.

To much kerf... You wasting wood....
Your making some real saw dust....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Chuck White on February 07, 2016, 03:07:50 PM
Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on February 07, 2016, 07:55:27 AM

The fuel tank (and the lube tank) move up and down with the sawhead.

I just went out and checked and if I was going to replace my fuel line, I would buy 8', and most likely I would end up cutting off about 1½ feet, but 8' should be enough for the LT40's.

Chuck, we were discussing the new TK2000 design that Larry posted a pic of. :)

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 07, 2016, 06:23:41 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 07, 2016, 05:59:58 PM

.110", (.055" thick band), you're not going to get much thinner and move 51 HP.

To much kerf... You wasting wood....
Your making some real saw dust....
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

OOPS, sorry about that, Ga Mtn Man.

terrifictimbersllc

More maker than mizer it looks to be.  ::)  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bandmill Bandit

I use my bucket a lot. I just make sure I have the largest buckets I can get and I keep a larger container to dump into I sell the saw dust. For 45/55 gallon drum 25 bucks and 60 bucks for a 4'X4"tote plus 20 bag deposit. I get more calls for saw dust then for lumber at the moment

on a big Pine or spruce I empty every other cut but with a larger container close its not a problem.

Sixacresand

Bandmill Bandit.  I 'm glad the folks in your area have a use for sawdust.

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Sixacresand on February 08, 2016, 06:59:16 PM
Bandmill Bandit.  I 'm glad the folks in your area have a use for sawdust.

One of the instructors at the high school is very "Green"! He has a very dedicated and significant following in his "Organic Gardening Club". Thats where most of my saw dust goes.

ncsawyer

Fellow member Oljarhead picked up his new mill and has pictures of it in the link below.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,88785.msg1366745.html#msg1366745

It has the new style fuel tank for those interested.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

AnthonyW

Quote from: ncsawyer on February 25, 2016, 12:19:28 PM
Fellow member Oljarhear picked up his new mill and has pictures of it in the link below.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,88785.msg1366745.html#msg1366745

It has the new style fuel tank for those interested.

Is that the new tank in the first picture? It is still mounted up high (shoulder level) and only fillable from standing on the ground. I appears there are two hoses going into the top of it.

I hop OLJarhead will see this and be kind and take a close-up photo of the tank and post for this thread.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

WV Sawmiller

I still don't understand the rationale for not just removing the tank, filling it on the ground then reinstalling it. It seems to be the way they were designed. I have done mine that way ever since I got it.

I guess the travel may wear certain areas. I can understand if the regs require changing material or design but never saw any reason to just leave the tank on the mill full time.
Howard Green

ncsawyer

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 25, 2016, 02:13:06 PM
   I still don't understand the rationale for not just removing the tank, filling it on the ground then reinstalling it. It seems to be the way they were designed. I have done mine that way ever since I got it.

I guess the travel may wear certain areas. I can understand if the regs require changing material or design but never saw any reason to just leave the tank on the mill full time.

I think the regs have to do with the way they are vented.  They are now vented internally like an automobile tank - not through the cap.  This was the driver behind the new design (from what I can understand).  Again I do not fully understand all regulations and thought process behind it.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Bandmill Bandit

EPA and thought process??

That would be headline news.

Jim_Rogers

This is the way I fill my sawmill gas jug from the one that travels with me to the gas station.

Works for me.

Jim Rogers

AdamT

I have two tanks.  Disconnect the two lines, pull the tank, grab full tank from bed of truck and plug full tank in, all while engine is still running. Back to sawing

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

kantuckid

I need to solve the gas tank issue soon. The new engine I'm buying will need a gas tank. The new engine has a fuel pump so venting's a non issue.
EZ Boardwalk Mills, a sponsor here, shows a regular tote style gas jug on their mills. I'd rather avoid the pile of sealant I see in the Jim_Rogers photo seen above ;D There should be a fitting to use that allows such a conversion?

Both Hudson & Timberking use the same black plastic tank shown at the beginning of this thread. One uses steel clamps, the other uses nylon straps for retention. I'd need only the plastic, not a kit, if they sell it solo. I now see that several plastic companies make the tanks as non-EPA certified, "multi-purpose tanks and sell many sizes, straps, caps and filler pickup tubes. If they sell onesies to the public is the larger question. 

So far my 1st choice is a new Amazon boat tank for ~ $50, with a barb connection.

If you looking for an electric gasoline pump, Amazon lists some that are made for emergency use, all elec. components are in a fixed position inside a latching case-similar to small power tool cases.

If you use my solution for gasoline, I'd like to hear about that. Best would be a removable tank sitting on the top frame of my WM LT15 near the lube jug pedestal.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

barbender

Why wouldn't a tank need a vent just because you have a fuel pump?
Too many irons in the fire

TimW

It might be a new tank to Y'all, but that is exactly what is on my 2018 LT40HD Diesel.  4 bolts hold the cover on.
       hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

kantuckid

Quote from: barbender on June 15, 2022, 03:21:39 PM
Why wouldn't a tank need a vent just because you have a fuel pump?
I'll use a vented cap. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!