The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Winch sizing for Kubota M6040  (Read 2903 times)

Offline peterpaul

• I'm new!
Re: Winch sizing for Kubota M6040
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 07:36:06 am »
peterpaul,as long as one don't go down a couple sizes or up,things "should" be fine. You will like the winch.And than some. Lots of pointers on how to use one. Try to put a roll on the log. That helps some in moving a good size one. Also brings any limbs you might of missed to the top. I ran 6 chockers on mine. Sometimes all six are used and maybe doubled up on a few of them, and sometimes only one is used.I made up six 4 foot chains. Those gets used alot. Easier to pull a foot of chain through a chocker,than 5 feet when hauling small stuff. Watch your feet when winching in. The slash can get in front of the log and hit you. Have fun!!
How many hp is a L4330?

Thanks for the tips thecfarm, I will make up some short chokers.  I often roll logs to avoid rocks, trees etc. 

L4330 has 43hp  engine, 38hp pto and weighs about 5500 with FEL, loaded tires and winch.  FEL has about 1900 lbs capacity.  I purchased the tractor new in '03 and have nearly 3000 hrs on it.  I had a '97 L2900 before that.

Regarding safety, I do plan on adding some limb risers and belly pan.  Here are some pictures from a couple of years ago.  I was mowing a field for a friend (for free) and hooked an apple tree limb with the ROPS.  Had me pinned to the steering wheel pretty good (I was between the steering wheel and the limb).  I climbed out over the hood.  No damage to me other than a scrape on the back of the shoulder or the tractor, very lucky.  Never saw it coming.  As the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished.  Stay safe all.

Woodmizer LT15, Kubota 4330 GST, Wallenstein FX 85, Timberwolf TW6, homemade firewood conveyor

Offline Old Dog

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 10:55:40 am »
My apologies for not closing the loop on this thread earlier, but I did end up with the Fransgard and have been busy putting it to use during the brief spell of frozen conditions we recently had in this otherwise miserable excuse for a winter.

Couldn't ask for flatter shaft angle than the fit up with this winch.  As stated in posts above, I would have been fine with the lower shaft input of other brands as well.  I'm running the tractor at low idle during the pull; it has plenty of power and I've no interest in pulling the logs any faster.

Seems theres a difference of opinion out there about dropping the logs onto the tow bar vs. pulling them directly on the cable.  I've found leaving them on the cable easier and it works fine for smaller hitches but put anything with size on it and the cable digs into the spool during skidding and makes it a bear to pull out. 

No doubt I've still much to learn but to date the winch has been a huge time/labor saving and I've been surprised how much I enjoy setting up multi log pulls with the sliders and directional pulls with a simple yarding block and strapping.  I guess this old dog is easily amused...

Thanks for all the good info on this site.

Offline g_man

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 12:15:37 pm »
If your cable buries itself in the drum on a hard pull which is very common with new cables try this. Choker the cable to a stump or some other relatively immovable object and string it all out on the ground by driving forward. Then set your brake and drop the winch. Winch in the cable until it is pretty tight and leave it there for a day or over night to stretch it. Then when you wind it back on the drum do it under tension. Leave the choker on the stump put the tractor in neutral and pull the tractor back to the stump with the winch while you keep your foot on the brake. Usually this helps a lot so your cable does not jam itself in the drum. After a while if you start having trouble again just redo this little exercise. After a couple goes it won't tend to jam any more.

EDIT: I forgot to congratulate you on your  new winch. You will enjoy it. Work safe.

gg

Offline AfraidChocker

• AfraidChocker: Get it, "A Frayed Chocker"
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 01:49:22 pm »
My Kubota is about as small as your old one, and about the same year and I have had a Fransgard on it for that time, and another tractor before that. A winch is half the tractor as I like to say in over 20 years of hard service it has yet to break down. I think the clutches are only half taken up.

I pull from the attachment bar and not the cable, but that is only because I have parted the cable a few times and prefer to stop that nonsense. Not saying what you are doing is wrong though, just different ways of doing the same thing.
As a sheep farmer, I have no intentions of arriving at the pearly gates in a well preserved body, rather I am going to slide into heaven sideways with my Kubota tractor, kick the manure out of my muck boots, and loudly proclaim, "Whoo Hoo, another Sheppard has just arrived!"

Online 47sawdust

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 04:07:06 pm »
I have a Tajfun winch and prefer to pull with the cable.It is much easier to unhook at the landing and if I get in a jamb I can always drop the hitch,pull ahead to solid ground,and pull the hitch back in. In rough going it saves wear and tear on the tractor and is a safer technique.OESCO,the dealer I purchased my winch from, recommended pulling from the cable.
My winch is 4 years old.At the beginning of the winter I was having problems getting it to free spool.I did as g man suggested and have had no problems since.Good luck with your winch,they can do a lot of work.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2016, 07:24:10 pm »
That looks good!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline enigmaT120

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 01:00:30 pm »

I pull from the attachment bar and not the cable, ....

Can you guys clarify what you mean by pulling from the attachment bar?  You're still pulling with the cable, aren't you?

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Online 47sawdust

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 01:32:21 pm »
enigma,
The base of the winch frame has a series of slots for attaching individual chokers.Mine has 4.You pull your hitch up to the butt plate,release your cable and hook your choker in the slot.This way you are pulling on the winch not the cable.Sometimes I use both depending on the log size.Hope this helps.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Offline Old Dog

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2016, 02:25:03 pm »
Yes - like Sawdust said.   Here's a photo that shows 2 on the bar and one on the cable.

g_man - thanks for the tip on stretching out the cable.  I will give that a go.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2016, 09:11:13 pm »
I pull from my cable. I pulled ALOT of 3 foot white pine with the cable, even a few bigger than 3 feet. I have a Norse.
I also run 6 chockers. Somtimes I use all six,small stuff,and sometimes I only use one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline enigmaT120

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2016, 03:42:27 pm »
enigma,
The base of the winch frame has a series of slots for attaching individual chokers.Mine has 4.You pull your hitch up to the butt plate,release your cable and hook your choker in the slot.This way you are pulling on the winch not the cable.Sometimes I use both depending on the log size.Hope this helps.

Oh, I see.  Thanks, and thanks Olddog for the picture.
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or