iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swedish Torch Groove Cutting

Started by TennesseeHillbi, October 27, 2022, 08:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TennesseeHillbi

Hello 
I am making Swedish Torches out of Pine logs. The log in cut at 20 inches and the grooves are 17 inches deep.I cut 3 grooves in each log. I am currently using a Stihl 400 with a 20 inch bar with a full chisel chain. The chainsaw is cutting the grooves but I am burning through a lot of gas and stretching chains.I am wondering if someone here knows of a faster and more efficient way to cut the grooves? I was thinking about trying to find a buzzsaw and using that to cut the grooves but I don't know if it would cut the grooves wide enough. If someone else here makes these or knows someone who does and knows how to cut the deep grooves and can help I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me out. 
Thank you 

thecfarm

Seems like everything is on youtube.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

TennesseeHillbi

Wanted to add that the log in cut at 20 inches and I am cutting 3 grooves in each log 17 inches deep.
Thanks again 

beenthere

Post some photo's to show just what you are doing that is giving you problems. I'm thinking you have the best setup now, but others may have some better ideas for you.

How many per day are you wanting to cut?

This video show what you are doing with your chainsaw?
Swedish Torch Log with a Chainsaw - YouTube
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TennesseeHillbi

Yes Sir 
The video shows exactly how I am cutting the grooves. 
I might add that I am using Stihl Full Chisel Chains
I am hoping to find a better way to cut the grooves. 
I have 100+ that I am going to be removing and thought I would make the Tourches out of them I I cut each tree.
Just seems like there should be a more efficient way of doing it than the way I am now considering the amount I am going to be cutting. 
Thank you all for the help 

btulloh

You could start out each cut noodling them.  That would speed things up a little. I can't think of another method that wouldn't require special equipment. Maybe just doing five a day for three weeks will be more palatable. Doing one or two now and then is kinda fun, but a hundred - that's a chore!
HM126

teakwood

That was my swedish torch for my 40th birthday, i don't do normal stuff :D

1to ironwood log, 2.2m high

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

doc henderson

We have made a few for fun.  are you going into business?  you refer to "100".  is that logs or trees.  We could use more info.  standard chain is for cross cutting.  there are chains for ripping.  Not worth it just for fun.  make sure the chain you use is sharp.  if the saw stalls in the cut, that might be a reason to get a skip chain.  Again, only worth it if you are planning on this bulk venture.  My saw tended to curve near the bottom of the log, like in the video.  It is a novelty, so does not affect the burn.  the only other thing that may help would be to make a jig to hod the log solid.  half of the time I spend is setting the log back up and sawing easy to try to not tip it over.  you need the log against the head, so it does not whip over.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

bigblockyeti

Are you cutting them just to make a torch?  I've made 2-3 dozen of them but I make them into stools after burning just the right amout, nailing the "just the right amount" is tricky requiring flipping turning and a little water precisely applied at the right time.  The waste rate is about 30% based on a few legs getting over cooked and brittle.  I use either a 54cc or 64cc saw with a standard full chisel chain making 3 cuts in logs between Ø11" - Ø16" and haven't had any trouble plowing through everything from pine to hickory, a sharp chain is an absolute must.  

Before I had a sawmill, larger logs that I couldn't manhandle on my bandsaw were ripped with a chainsaw and I did see better results from a speed standpoint with a 0° ground ripping chain.

Do you have any pictures or further clarification of the quantity you're trying to make?

ladylake

Rather than cutting from the top down you should lay the block on it's side and cut with the grain.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

TimRB

Instead of cutting grooves, just split the logs and then re-fit them together leaving a little space for air.  Hold them together with a piece of wire if you have to.

Tim

Thank You Sponsors!