iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie Looking for some answers

Started by hbeane, February 02, 2016, 11:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbeane

I am very intrested in purchasing a sawmil and after hours of research and thinking I am leaning towards the Wood Mizer LT15.  I want to build a house and I still want to have a good working sawmil for buildings, shop, Barn some Day.  I hope I am not choosing A Mill that I will wear out quickly and I will take any advice anyone is willing to give me.  I would like to buid a small log home and use square cut logs I cut myself.   I do not find alot of information online about this and I am wondering if this is beause it is not a good idea.  Also I am not sure of the type of wood.  I live in West Virginia and have about 100 acres and mostly nice straight tall poplar trees.  If building with squared logs I cut on my new Mill would Poplar be an OK choice? Like I said I am new and reaching out for any help I can find.  Thank you in advance for any information you can give.  This site has already give me so much information just setting and reading.
Woodmizer LT15
1949 John Deere M
025 Stihl
250 Stihl
290 FarmBoss Still
C400 Echo
Honda 300 Fourtrax

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

hbeane

Thanks so much.  I am excited to have a source of so much knowledge. I have sawmill fever. After hours of reading and watching videos I know I am going to purchase one. Wood mizer is going to be at a show in Charlestown, wv end of this month. I think I am going to be proud owner of a new mill then.  I am just ignorant on what the right process will be for sawing.  Getting the most of my logs.  And again the squared logs on 4 sides I love. Love the look.  My house is going to set in the woods in middle of nothing.  I have my site almost all ready for me.  Cleared the ground and hope to start with foundation in spring.  I just don't want to make a mistakes early in design.  Built a lot of buildings and homes just framing.  Brand new to log home building.  But not afraid to tackle the job.
Woodmizer LT15
1949 John Deere M
025 Stihl
250 Stihl
290 FarmBoss Still
C400 Echo
Honda 300 Fourtrax

Kbeitz

Pleases check to see if your state law allows the use of ruff cut lumber to be used for building homes.
Here in my state of Pa. structural lumber needs a inspection stamp for living structures.
We can use ruff cut for floors and siding but not framing.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

schakey

Good morning hbeane and welcome to the FF smiley_wavy. I don't think that you will ever wear out the LT15. Where about is your land in Wv? We own 66 acres in Wayne county and plan to live there when I retire,also where and what dates is the show in Charleston? If I am not on the road I would like to attend. Right now I am planning on getting a used LT40H to mill our trees and build. Have a great day :)
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, hbeane.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ohio_Bill

Welcome to the forum hbeane. I have owned a LT15 and was very happy with it. The ability to add extra track sections at a relatively low cost is a great feature. If you won't be sawing logs bigger than 28 dia IMHO I think it would do a great job for you. If you haven't already, read through Wallee's Milling Thread and you can see some real life LT 15 results.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Ox

Welcome to the forum!

We need to remember that the old timers used whatever wood that was readily available.  All the species will work for the major stuff, it's just that certain species will be stronger or last longer.  I researched log homes in the past and it's my understanding that any type of tree can be used how you want to build with.  The secret is to keep your building dry (duh, right?  :D) by making the roof overhang larger than normal and to account for any shrinkage by building your window and door slots over sized.  When I was planning mine, I was going to rip a groove down the middle of each flat surfaced log, top and bottom, and put a wood spline there locking the two logs together from moving, like a giant tongue and groove.  A chalk line and dado blade on a circular saw and going slow will work.  Just an idea for you, maybe.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

grweldon

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

drobertson

Howdy and welcome, I'm pretty sure the LT-15 will do the job and then some for years,  doing a youtube search on log cabins will show a ton of ideas,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Thanks MM, Not sure how I missed this thread, a good one for sure,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WV Sawmiller

hbeane,

A big welcome and do update your profile with more info on your location. I'm down in Hinton in Summers County. Love to have you stop by if you're in the area. As mentioned above interested in the Charlestown show (Is it in Charlestown or Charleston) as I had not heard about it.

I have neighbor who has built several peeled pole cabins he rents (May have sold one or two already) using poplar poles. Look him up at Almost Heaven Estates Near Hinton WV. He went up into Amish country and bought some working wood stoves and such to furnish them. He (Mr. Richmond) is very open to showing them off and if nothing else you may pick up some ideas for your build even though you are planning a squared log building. He built them very cheaply - $5K-6K for 3-4 BR homes with an upstairs using poles off his place and brought in a mill and sawed rough lumber for the interior which was in line with the décor planned. Don't know if he encountered any building code issues or not. he could tell you.

Good luck and keep in touch.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

dustyhat

Welcome, cant point you to the right mill, but your choice of poplar would be mine also, most all pioneer log homes were poplar, like said before just keep it dry. my grandparents log home was build in the 1700s according to historians around here, it was build by survivors when they were mapping out the countys in this part of the state and is still standing strong.  but of coarse thats just what they said.   

beenthere

Old log homes had continual maintenance and it involved replacing rotted wood. Not many logs survived the long terms as some cabins are claimed, without some log replacements now and then.

Today's log homes that are splined, nailed, re-barred, and screwed together to resist movement are the ones that are very difficult to repair or to replace rotted logs or timbers. Add to that the clever routing of electric wires and cables that have to be worked around to get at any rotted wood.

Replacement is a good thing to keep in mind when building.

Not intended to discourage anyone from building with logs or timbers. They are great homes to live in, and fun to build.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hbeane

Thanks so much for all the replys.  You have given me alot to think about.  I will update my profile but for those who asked I live in Pleasants County WV.  Out side of a little 2 stop light town called St. Marys.  About 30 minutes north of Parkersburg.  Glad to hear that you all have had good luck with the LT 15.  I am open to sugggestions though.  I have about $9,000.00 budget.  I really liked the LT15 when I went to the Paul Bunyan show in ohio.  And the show is in Charleston, WV at the civic center I am pretty sure.  Feb 25 - 27  and is called the West Virginia Small Farm Conference.  If you google it you can find some info.  Looks pretty neat.  alot of stuff there looks interesting.  Thanks so much Ox for the thoughts on the spline idea. I had been thinking I would do something similar and glad to hear you agreed. Also the advice on the long overhangs. I have read that this is a must.  Like I said I am open to anyt advice on Mills and also pros and cons of Square log building. Sometimes I wonder if I should just cut out lumber and frame a house and batten board it. Which still will be beautiful. Also keeping in mind I do not have alot of equipment to move big lumber.  I am not afraid of hard work just want to make sure it can be done.  I move all my logs with a 1951 John Deere little M and I love it.  Little tractor but A hoss in the woods pulling me logs.  But as far as forks on something to lift up lumber I dont have.. I could get a freind or uncle to do this for me but I hate relying on anyone to get a job done. Thanks again for all the replys.  First forum I have ever joined and posted thread.  Really enjoying this so far.
Woodmizer LT15
1949 John Deere M
025 Stihl
250 Stihl
290 FarmBoss Still
C400 Echo
Honda 300 Fourtrax

hbeane

Thanks so much MagicMan for the link to that thread.  It is great, just read the whole thing.  I have searched for something like that on here but had not found that one.  Really appreciate the help..If someone could help me, if I try to look at members profiles I get an error that pretty much says I am not allowed in there.  NOt word for word but close.  Am I doing something wrong?
Woodmizer LT15
1949 John Deere M
025 Stihl
250 Stihl
290 FarmBoss Still
C400 Echo
Honda 300 Fourtrax

thecfarm

Takes so many post to get there. Jeff likes to protect us members. Some come on here just for their own personal gain. After a while things will open up. You have to prove yourself.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

plowboyswr

With a budget of 9000 I would also take a good hard look at the Ez boardwalk 40 also. What I've seen of them they're a good solid mill. Paul Case used one for quite a number of years. Only drawback on them is they are only a manual mill no power feed option.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

dgdrls

Welcome aboard hbeane.

Take a good look at all your mill options and test drive as many as you can
before you buy, 

Dan

WV Sawmiller

hbeane,

Thx for the add'l info. If I remember correctly sounds like you are over near hwy 2 side of the Ohio River. I worked a project out of Weirton for 2 years and mostly ran the Ohio side (hwy 7) but sometimes ran the WV side if I stopped by WVU to drop off something to our daughter who was in school there at the time.

I will check more on the farm show and try to make it if situation permits.

I think you will be happy with the LT 15 although you'd be happier with the hydraulic models but I understand the budget constraints. I have nothing but praise for the folks at WM but in all honesty I hear the same about the other sponsors. Don't know of another industry where so many people have so much praise for their equipment manufacturers.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

hbeane

Wv sawmiller,

Yep rt 2 runs through the middle of my little town.  Weirton not far up river at all.  I would love to have a hydroclic mill but just not possible for me . I want a mill  but i also want to build a house.  Just a little one but i know the expense i have comming.  I am conisidering the wide lt15 but just not sure.  As i said earlier i cant move giant logs and most of my trees are not that  big.  Also have looked at the oscar and the ez board walk.  You are so right you find more good than bad on most all companies.  I know when i went to the paul bunyan (i am sure i spelled that wrong) i liked the wood mizer and the people from wood mizer were great too.  Some companies were not willing to start the mill and let me see it run and wood mizer let me run the mill myself.  They were freindly and willing to help me.  And that says alot to me. 
Woodmizer LT15
1949 John Deere M
025 Stihl
250 Stihl
290 FarmBoss Still
C400 Echo
Honda 300 Fourtrax

Ox

That little Johnny M will have no problem moving some big timber around if you do it like the old timers.  When building your log walls and moving up in height, have two logs that will rest on the top log of the wall, notched to fit and not come off, that act like ramps.  Then you parbuckle the next log up those ramps.  Time consuming, sure, but doable on a small budget with small equipment.  A long cable should work to get you away from the building and not have the weight pulling up on the back of your tractor taking away all your traction.  If you don't have a snatch block pulley to temporarily bolt down to the opposite side wall to get the cable up and over to the log you're trying to parbuckle, a sacrificial chunk of hardwood for a rub block would work ok.  Maybe a little dribble of oil or lard on the part of the cable that will be rubbing would help friction some.  Sounds like a fun project.  Sometimes it's fun to plan out ways to do things with little or non existent equipment.  Then sometimes you just wish you had a big horse to pick up and place logs for you!  Keep us posted, bud.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Smmudford

Welcome to the forum. I am also new to the forum and had questions about mills. Although, I do not feel up to the task on commenting on that particular saw, I wish you luck. You came to the right place. A lot of really great people and great information.

outpost22

Quote from: Smmudford on February 04, 2016, 10:19:41 AM
Welcome to the forum. I am also new to the forum and had questions about mills. Although, I do not feel up to the task on commenting on that particular saw, I wish you luck. You came to the right place. A lot of really great people and great information.
Ditto here. I will say that my neighbors Woodmizer is a thing of envy. 
Creating one more project one at a time.
Burg Bandsaw Mill
Stihl 010
Stihl 210
Stihl 251
Stihl 461
Husky 350
Kubota L3800

Thank You Sponsors!