iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small sawmill?

Started by Woodhauler, February 01, 2016, 07:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Now there is a poor market for low grade pine in maine, do you think a guy could make money sawing it into boards? Seems there was a sawmill in every couple of towns growing up and they seemed to make money.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

thecfarm

Yes,there was more sawmills. That was before people got sue crazy too. Now lumber needs to be stamped by a grader to build a house with. Yes,out buldings are OK,but not a house. Most don't want to wait for lumber either. Most want to go to a lumber yard and buy what they want. Not wait a week or two to have it sawed out. Some don't have the smarts to realize that a 3 inch knot in a 2X4 should not be used or they just don't care and try to build it cheap and sell it high and than when the building fails in 5 years someone has to take the blame.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Quote from: Woodhauler on February 01, 2016, 07:03:14 PMpoor market for low grade pine
I am wondering how "low grade pine" will make high grade lumber.   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodhauler

Quote from: Magicman on February 01, 2016, 07:47:33 PM
Quote from: Woodhauler on February 01, 2016, 07:03:14 PMpoor market for low grade pine
I am wondering how "low grade pine" will make high grade lumber.   ???
Its hard to imagine , but people up here will buy knotty pine to build with! I never said it would make high grade lumber did I? My office walls and living room celian is done in knotty pine.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Magicman

:D  :D  Indeed you are correct, and that is the fun of sawing.  Making something out of nothing, name it character, and get $300 for it.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I would say yes.  I do it, but I am not in Maine where most people are froze. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 01, 2016, 08:15:29 PM
but I am not in Maine where most people are froze.

:D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

repmma

Seems like it is hard to compete with the $0.29 per linear ft 6" kiln dried, camp grade tongue and groove on craigslist.  Plain old boarding in or siding at $0.50/bdft seems reasonable but if your paying $250/mbf for logs it's not leaving you much over normal milling rate.

Not to say I don't want to offer milled lumber off my land to subsidize my dubing around!  If it's your logs it's at least a market for the logs that may be hard to get rid of right now.

I'm cutting up popple for boards.  What other option is there!?  More value to me as lumber even if the top half of it is left in the woods.
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

longtime lurker

There's no market for logs because the pulp guys are pulling out correct?

yanno... I believe that if the small mills all disappeared years ago and you don't have to compete with the pulp mills for logs there might be an opening there. Reliable log supply is about a third of the problems mills face, the others being staffing and marketing.

You'd need to find some tentative markets suitable for the product mix you'd likely get.

Then think hard about the gear. You want modern, fast and manpower efficient. Don't get caught in the trap of so many small mills... They save $ on the payments of good equipment and spend it on wages and resultant high cost per unit of production instead. Log recovery efficiency doesn't matter much in low grade logs... It's cheaper to buy more logs then maintain bands so go with circles... An end dogging scragg, gang saw and an optimized edger would be a start point.

One thing you need to think on is "where will I get the logs?" Stupid at first glance but what will happen with the pulp guys going is that the contractor base will go with it. That happened here years ago... Resource got locked up, mills closed down, harvest and transport contractors went too... And when we started up there was no one left to call and say "bring me a load of logs". I know you got a couple trucks... But better be thinking to run your own harvest in a few years too. One think that won't make money is a mill sitting idle for want of logs in the yard.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

red

Fill the void. But by a Big Sawmill
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

longtime lurker

I was thinking about this today (because yanno... I can't spend all day in the mill fishing or thinking about food)

In 2011 we got nailed with Tropical Cyclone Yasi - Just like a normal hurricane but bigger - and about 30,000 acres of mature plantation (radiata pine mostly) under lease to HQ Plantations (a division of Hancock) got flattened. There was no possible way to process that kind of volume in a reasonable timeframe, so what ended up happening was it was salvaged, trucked to the nearest ports, chipped, and the chip was exported for pulping. I believe it went mostly to Japan and China.

Thing being that Maine has ports, right? And trees. And no pulp plants or sawmilling capacity sufficient to process those trees. And perhaps a government that might be a little supportive of anything that keeps some part of the industry afloat?

Maybe it might be worth looking at a chipper rather then a sawmill, keep the whole harvest and transport sectors built around the pulp plants going.

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!