iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie Onboard

Started by fstedy, October 15, 2004, 11:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fstedy

HELLO ALL
Finally decided to get a together post together and stop  8) lurking in the background. There aren't many forests or sawmills around here Southern New Jersey so I thought there might be a need for a portable mill here. I see many nice urban trees being used for mulch and firewood and have contacted some of the local Arborists for a source of timber.

I pulled the gun out and fired both barrels ( bought a 2004 Timberking B-20 used with 35 hours on it) what a kick :o !  Didn't find your website till after the purchase, but from everything I read it seemed like it will be a great piece of machinery.

The idea of a sawmill came to me while taking out a Norway Spruce in my backyard (see pic) I thought it would have some useable lumber in it 22" DBH but I haven't sawn it yet but I did about 150 BF of Red Oak and it didn't go to bad for a first timer.

I am trying to develop this endevor into a fulltime operation in aseveral years. Owned a machine shop for 15 years and cut na lot of metal   boy am I trying to avoid that now  :D.

Sorry about being so long. This forum is Grrrreat so many knowledgable and friendly folks here you are appreciated.

PS Hope the photo uplaod comes out?
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

chet

Welcome aboard fstedy, it's about time ya came out of da bushes.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

redpowerd

great to have ya,, time to start teachin these members cause most of the time they play dumb! :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Brad_S.

Welcome fstedy!  8)

I've only been here less than 2 weeks, but it already feels like home. The  more the merrier.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Bro. Noble

Red,

I resent your remark---------some of us ain't playing :D :D :D

Welcome Newbie.  Sounds like you got a good start on being an oldtimer ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

customsawyer

Welcome
I won't be of much help in the computer part of this game but hope I can help with some of the sawing questions. Just learned about this place myself and I'm enjoying all the information that is in this place. Lots of great folks.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Tom

welcome!

Don't depend on making your sawing full-time in a couple of years.

If your neighbors find out you have a mill, you will be lucky to get home for supper 6 months from now. :D

Furby

I don't know Tom, I've had mine for 5 months now.
Of course more and more of my neighbors are finding out about it. Shouldn't be to long now before I get one of them letters from the city.  :-/ My log piles may end up having something to do with that as well though.  ::)

WoodSmith

Welcome.
I just showed up here less then a week ago and am beginning to feel at home, everyone here is friendly and very helpful.
Your one up on me, I don't have the mill yet just in the planning stage, hoping to make the purchase this spring.
You mentioned checking with local Arborists, I hadn't thought of them. That sounds like a good source for various kinds of wood. Best o luck to you.
Woodsmith

Tom_Averwater

fstedy,
       Welcome to the F.F.. You will learn alot on this forum. Tom  8)
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Paschale

fstedy, better start planning for the pig roast!   :D  By that time, you'll be an old hand, and it'll feel like a family reunion.

Only 291 days to go!  

Welcome aboard.   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

sigidi

fstedy, welcome, come on in, pull up a chair and stick ya feet up.... for now!!! :D ;D

Good luck with everything!
Always willing to help - Allan

twoodward15

Well, well, well, Another south jersey sawmill.  Nice to see you here.  I don't have a sawmill, but am always looking for a new one to visit.  Are you going to keep a stock of wood or are you just going to do the custom, mobile sawmill gig?  What are your prices (lumber or hourly/bdft rate for custom sawing)???  Nice to see you here, welcome aboard.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

fstedy

twoodward15
i'm in the process of pricing don't have anything definite yet and don't have any stock of lumber at this time  :'(.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Thank You Sponsors!