The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Country/Community Stores  (Read 2445 times)

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
Re: Country/Community Stores
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 12:20:53 pm »
I was born in Southern California (San Fernando Valley) and we didn't have anything "old" there.  Moved to New York when I was 11 (1971) and for the next 7 or 8 years, there were two competing stores - right next to each other.  One store was Berger's (IIRC) but don't remember the other.  Would go at lunch time or after school to pick up candy - 2 for a penny all the way up to 2 cents!  Both were "department" stores but I don't remember any hardware.  We had a hardware store on the other side of town that was eventually taken over by Ace.

My wife has run a small store in the Adirondacks since 1989. You can get your milk, eggs and some groceries in addition to chainsaw stuff, gas, diesel and many other items.

jwilly
On the corner of Hwy 29 and 30 ?

Neat store, and wonder what the red tanks are for.. ??

Good question. I'm interested in what the answer will be. I'm betting, since they are bright red, they are some sort of fire suppression system.
That was my first thought as well.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline r.man

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 01:56:05 pm »
Jwilly I agree with you about local support. I don't buy gas anywhere but at my local station unless I am away and going to run out. We did without a station for about a year and a half so I was very happy when it reopened. The price is always a bit more but I don't have to go 5 miles each way out of my way when I need fuel. Bargain hunters and internet shoppers need to recognize that if that is the way they shop most of the time it may end up being the only way they can shop.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Offline jwilly3879

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 07:36:38 pm »
The store is in Olmstedville at the four corners, complete with a flashing red light. The red tanks are the fire suppression system required by NYS.

Right now are fuel prices are competitive with the nearest chains. It is amazing that people will drive 20 miles round trip to save .02 on a gallon of gas, saved .30 on a fill up and spent $2.00 to save it.

The other thing that people don't realize about a store like hers is the hours involved. We are open at 6:30  am and close at 8:00 pm and are closed only Christmas and Thanksgiving. That's a lot of hours and doesn't include the daily paperwork or shopping for store.

It is more than a job, it's a lifestyle.

Offline blackfoot griz

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 08:19:25 pm »

Right now are fuel prices are competitive with the nearest chains. It is amazing that people will drive 20 miles round trip to save .02 on a gallon of gas, saved .30 on a fill up and spent $2.00 to save it.

[/quote]
I frequently ask those that do that kind of thing; 'What's your time worth per hour'.

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 08:31:41 pm »
Or wait in line 20 minutes to save the same amount.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Seavee

• Full Member x2
  • Wood mizer
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 06:03:15 pm »
We still have a store like that around here. People cash there checks ,run tabs, and buy crickets. Good stuff in a small town.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

Offline jwilly3879

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 06:45:04 pm »
We only take checks from certain people and tabs are pretty much gone. It's a great way to lose any profit.

Gas is a good example, had a local person who bought regularly and then asked to charge it for a week until his finances got straightened out. One week turned in two and pretty soon he owed over $300. Cut him off and he never came back, he was paying cash in another town.

A $300 hit like that, while it might not seem like much, means the profit from the next 2000 gallons sold will go to that debt. Have that happen a few times and no one gets to run a tab.

Many people think a store like the wife's a great money makers but the margins are low on most items. Her store burned in 1999 but she chose to rebuild as a service to the community and it has been appreciated by many. It is a small town of about 700 people but there are quite a few who have never set foot in the store and some who only come to try a cash a check that needs to held until payday.

Offline sandsawmill14

• Senior Member x2
  • love my job (most days)
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 08:15:05 am »
our last one was sold to the indians that have moved in around here. they will take over on or around march 15 is what current owner told me when i payed my gas bill :(  thats makes the 4th and last one in the area. 3 of which are within 4 miles of each other ::)
hudson 228, timberking b20, s&w 125 ,lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Offline Keith Shirley

• I'm new!
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 03:32:24 pm »
WVSawmiller,       Have you been to the Cool Springs store on Route 50, east of Grafton?
It's what you talking about, been around since 1929, they have everything from peanuts to wood stoves. Antique farm equipment, trout stream. I've been there several times on bike rides and camping trips.   

Photo removed by Admin, please use your Forum gallery and guidelines for photos used in posts.

Norwood HD36, Stihl 025, 291, 362. New Holland TN75 4WD with loader, Agco ST35 4WD, Poloras Ranger 700, 2 Honda 450 Foremen 4WD

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 05:16:16 pm »
Keith,

Not yet. Have not spent a lot of time in that part of the state. We live in the southern part. My daughter may have been through there while she was at WVU. If I find myself near there I will look it up as it sounds like the kind of stores I remember and love. Thanks for posting.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"