iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old rotary mill, what is it?

Started by MrPorter, January 31, 2016, 10:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrPorter

Was told it was an American no. 4, can anyone confirm? What is this bohemeth worth? (Carriage and husk)   Any info on it would be appreciated. It was last ran in 09, when a 'catastrophic failure' occurred. Looks like the blade hit the first 'log holder' (don't know all the terms yet :-\ ) The rest of the carriage appears to be there and functional but needs restored. The husk, well, it's falling apart, not sure what's missing.

The carriage:

MrPorter

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, MrPorter.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Gearbox

What is with the arbor I can't see a nut or is it bolt on . Never seen that .Reseader on the carrige . Circle mills are not worth to much in todays market . If you can get it cheap it looks like it would make a working mill .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

MrPorter

Looks like 3 bolts hold it on. Got it a while back this year, used the track as a base for my HF mill, now it's time to sell it. Got two blades also one is 54" no inserts the other is 48" with carbide inserts.

beenthere

Mr Porter
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Need to take pics with the iPad or iPhone with volume button on lower side to get pics that are right side up on the forum. Hard to see well when laying on their side. ;)

Click your forum name and it will take you to where you can update your profile with your location.
Helps to answer questions, and if you've read others' posts, you know how it helps to know their location.

Here is a good .pdf of a pub on circular saws.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

moodnacreek

American's often used a bolt to hold the blade collar on. Also an American no. 3 had a 48" headblock opening. So a no. 4 could be bigger.

Thank You Sponsors!