iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Freezer mod

Started by Chuck White, January 31, 2016, 09:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

I had a 23 cu ft chest type deepfreezer given to me a few days ago, but it's way more freezer than we'll ever fill.

MOD:
I'm wondering if it would work to fill the bottom part of the freezer with cut pieces of 4" thick styrofoam insulation up to the point where the compressor housing top is, this would fill about 1/3 of the freezers available space!

Would the freezer still be as "efficient", compared to without the styrofoam in place.

Other suggestions welcome!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

I would think that it would be better to put something that will freeze in there and can help maintain temperatures.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

Could you use milk jugs with water?? Than maybe one layer of foam to make it level.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandsawmill14

i dont think the styrofoam would be best but it would work but it will insulate the meat or what ever on the bottom side of the first layer taking it longer to freeze but once the first layer if frozen it would work like any other freezer. i like the milk jug idea myself but i would put a piece of 1/4" plywood on it instead of the styrofoam  you could also us 2 x 4s instead of milk jugs but would be more work :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

elk42

I use milk jugs and 1 gal. and 2 gal. zip lock bags. You can use that ice to make
ice cream. smiley_clapping
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Chuck White

I like the milk jug idea!

I think that if I filled milk jugs and put them in the bottom of the freezer standing up, then built a rack (resembling a table) and set that in with legs going to the bottom of the freezer and the milk jugs underneath it, and the platform just above the jug tops and it would then become the new bottom of the freezer.

Make sense?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

I myself would not put the legs of the table on the bottom. I would put a board the whole lenght of one side and put the legs on that. There is alot of weight on just 4 points and that could crack the plastic.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandsawmill14

yep but the but the legs would be up you if you wanted or not the frozen milk jugs would be plenty strong to hold the platform and anything else you could get in it :)

IndianaJoe

I never have enough freezer space

LeeB

We have two chest types and an upright and all three are filled to bursting.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

Don't fill the jugs. leave room for expansion when they freeze so they don't split.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chuck White

Quote from: Jeff on January 31, 2016, 01:46:00 PM
Don't fill the jugs. leave room for expansion when they freeze so they don't split.

Good point Jeff, I'll just fill them to where the milk jug starts to curve!

WV Sawmiller

Chuck,

I agree with others that never have too much freezer space. Also agree with the milk jugs/ice idea. I've always heard freezers do best when full and having jugs of ice gives you surge capacity and flexibility. Can always take out a few jugs to make room for a big mess of fish or game.

Can also take the jugs of ice out and put in the refrigerator to keep it cool if you have a power outage (remembering they say keep your freezer closed as much a possible during such events). Can take out a jug to let it melt slowly providing drinking water on those hot days on the lake or in the woods. Can always send a jug or two of ice with family or friends when you send them off with a cooler full of goodies (I keep waiting on some one coming from Mississippi this way to bring me a fresh baked pecan pie from the MM).

Quote from: Jeff on January 31, 2016, 01:46:00 PM

I fill mine full then squeeze on the sides to make expansion room then put the lid on to prevent air in jug.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

Thanks for all the tips guys.   8)

The "keep the freezer full" for efficiency was on my mind and I just needed to figure out what would be best to take up some of that extra space.

Getting that freezer was pretty-much a timing thing, in late Spring, we're supposed to be getting 1/2 of a beef and 1/2 of a hog.  Now we have a place to put it without spending lots of money!

We have an upright, but they just don't seem to hold much!

coxy

I have an up right that holds around 400lbs of beef

Jeff

It would probably only hold about 75 lbs of Chicken.  Cause of the feathers. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Jeff on February 01, 2016, 12:34:45 AM
It would probably only hold about 75 lbs of Chicken.  Cause of the feathers. :)

Reminds me of the tale about a plane windshield maker whose glass kept failing the bird strike test where a 5 lb chicken was shot out of a canon at a designated strike speed to simulate hitting a bird in flight. Manufacturer said their tests showed their product was okay but the military kept failing them so the manufacturer got an independent test agency who resolved the issue and told the military "stop using frozen chickens in your tests and they work fine."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sandsawmill14

gspren

If you want access to the jugs of water/ice keep them at one end instead of the bottom, easier to get one without moving a bunch.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

LeeB

I had some extra room in my freezer so I filled it up with 100lbs of sausage.  ;D

Chuck White

breederman

When I was a kid we would fill the bottom of the old chest freezer with milk jugs full of apple cider . By the time the cider was gone the pig would be done !
Together we got this !

Thank You Sponsors!