iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alabama Slamma

Started by CCC4, January 30, 2016, 07:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

Our tie mill buyer is buying some timber from an outfit out of Alabama. I heard they can roll out 12 to 15 loads of sawlogs per day. I'm curious as to what they might be running as far as equipment...and how much! "If" they are indeed rolling getting out that much timber, they must be using several cutting machines and using several guys to limb and buck.

I honestly can't see why they are here, they are a long way from home. I can't believe the market difference would be so great that they have come all the way to North Arkansas for Oak. One thing is for sure, they won't be here long if they are turning those types of numbers...it would take a vast tract of timber to sustain a group like that.

Texas Ranger

I did a study once for oak out of Missouri to go down the Mississippi to New Orleans to be shipped to China.  Even got down to trying to set up loading dock in Cape Giradeau (yeah, I cannot spell), but the deal was killed by dock workers union.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Logger RK

I'm not sure they would need more then one good feller buncher with a good operator to do  that kind of production? About 15 years ago we had a guy with a Timbco feller buncher with a 22inch hot saw cut a tract for us. We were there when he unloaded it & we came back 8 hours later and he was all done loading back up. He said there should be around 700 cord. We just figured he over estimated it by a lot. But I believe when it was all out it was 727 cord he'd layed down. There was a little more sorting at the landing then if I would've cut it with my Ax,but they sure can drop the wood fast.

kiko

12 to 15 a day or more is doable.   Some days.  Saying a crew can make the same production every day is far fetched and not likely .   Slamming and jamming often makes the logging job look like crap. Production will be higher the closer the wood is to the knuckle boom.  Making excessively long drags slows it way down.  One of the contract trucks does not show up,  that's two to four loads off the count.   High production often means  lack of or no maintenance.  In the end ,IMO , slow and steady wins the race,  builds equity , and is safer.   

sandsawmill14

they just clear cut the pine that joins us and they averaged 20 loads per day and said they were losing at least 5 or 6 loads a day because they were 2 trucks short but they had all they could find. they were hauling roughly 50 miles 1 way to mill.  they had 2 tigercat cutters 2 big skidders and 2 knuckle booms on the site the back of the track had a small strip of hard wood along the back and the production didnt seem to change much when they got to it from the the pine. i will say they did the best looking job for a clearcut that i have seen :) but they didnt do clean up around the landing :-\
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

CCC4

In my area, it would be a lot easier to pull off those numbers if cutting pine. Our hardwood isnt that great and the number of trees to pull off that many loads would be really high.

Thank You Sponsors!