iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tire chain purchase / resize

Started by mf40diesel, January 30, 2016, 04:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf40diesel

What I am about to ask might be one of the dumber, or more likely obvious questions asked on here.  I hope not, but please don't laugh if I am totally out to lunch so to speak and making this much more complicated then necessary. 

I have a Deere 5055e tractor with 14.9 - 28 loaded rear tires (unfortunately not forestry rated)  I need to get some chains.  Labonville, which is just up the road from me has in stock Trygg Flexi 14.9 -38's.  The answer, which is probably as obvious as I am about to say, but can I just take a chain seperator tool and remove one section to take roughly 10" of length off of them?  Or will that is some way throw the other dimension off?

I feel like that would work, the width of the tire is the same, so removing 10" wouldn't change anything in that regard.

Thanks in advance.  Those chains look pretty sweet as the don't seem to increase the circumference that much, but also appear fairly aggressive at the same tim.  My tractor has the largest tires offered on this particular model, which has taken up a lot of the fender clearance. 
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

North River Energy

Does L-Ville have a listing for the 14.9-28, and if so, do they have the same number of links in the cross (or net) sections as the 14.9-38?  If so, then you should be able to cut them down. If not, you can still cut them down, but you'll have more fun getting them tensioned, and may need to involve a few clevis links.

This based on resizing a set of 14.9-28 to fit 13-24.  I bought them 'cheap' though, and would not do the same if paying retail.

47sawdust

My Trygg chains were sized to fit a variety of tire sizes within a certain range.I removed at least 10'' of chain to get them to fit the way I wanted.Those chains went on a Kubota L3750.

I just purchased a seat of chains for my 2wd backhoe.They were also made in Finland.i bought them from Reed supply in St.Johnsbury,Vt.The price was very good and they delivered them right to my door.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

ga jones

Tirechainsrequired.com  nice chains to fit your application there called farmtrac. There up there in New England too.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

jocco

Those ones pictured or the HAKKI ice chains are very nice :) AS for your question yes they can be shortened to fit, a cutting torch will work too  teeter_totter
You may check out but you will never leave

gspren

You will need to shorten more than 10", put them on and then mark where to cut.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

mf40diesel

Hello, Thank you for the responses.  I haven't called them, I am only basing this on what is on the website.  They are listed at $795.  On the TCR site I checked out the Aquiline Talons, but they are $933 and look more or less the same.

I need to call L-Ville and see if they have others in stock that are not listed on the website, also I am intending to call Canadian Chains in Norridgewock.

To be honest I was pretty surprised at L-Ville's pricing as I thought those Trygg chains were substantially more.

Thank you very much for your responses.  I'll keep you posted.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

North River Energy

Check the weight of the respective manufacturers product. Not sure if this applies to the tractor chains, but the studded Trygg chains I bought for my truck use a lighter wire gauge than the equivalent product from OFA. Both were purchased at Lville.
(This was a few years back, so who knows?)

luvmexfood

Just my opinion but I would check and see how much a set is that fit's without any modifications. Seem's like everytime I try to save a buck by making do with something it ends up being more of a problem than what I saved.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

711ac

Quote from: mf40diesel on January 30, 2016, 06:19:20 PM

To be honest I was pretty surprised at L-Ville's pricing as I thought those Trygg chains were substantially more.

I think the prices have come down. I've been wanting a set and need the next size up, the last time I looked they were close to $1600, now showing $1250.

jwilly3879

If you are ordering from TCR call them to order.  The internet price is higher than a phone order.

mf40diesel

Thanks for the advice,  seems pretty crummy that the phone pricing is less than the internet!  Typical though.  If I find the time today, I am intending to call Canadian chains today too and get a price from them.

I'll let you know what I find.

Thank You Sponsors!