iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

O ring

Started by Peter Drouin, January 30, 2016, 12:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Is this a regular one or one I have to get from WM?

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

terrifictimbersllc

Don't know but it's much worse than that,  your motor is missing.  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Peter Drouin

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 30, 2016, 02:22:08 PM
Don't know but it's much worse than that,  your motor is missing.  :D

:D :D :D :D
I can't put it back until I fix the o ring. The brushes are not bad but I put in new ones in. Have 3500hrs on them.

The arbor looks good 8)

New on right old on the left, not much different in the two.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

terrifictimbersllc

How many hours on that brush?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Percy

I replace alot of o rings on the bobcats and 966 and forklift. I just use whatever size came outta the broken piece. Good quality ones...never hadda problem. Im thinking any good o ring of the appropriate size should be good...
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 30, 2016, 07:29:19 PM
How many hours on that brush?

3500 The one that came with the mill 2008 I'm thinking I will pull off the one I did and replace that O ring too. Marty, you out there?  :D :D :D

Perce, That's what I was thinking too. I just don't want to do it two times.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

terrifictimbersllc

I don't understand. No wear on hydraulic motor brushes in 3500 hours?

Peter Drouin

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 30, 2016, 08:46:41 PM

Well, I don't know what to tell you. I will take a pic of the hour meter.
I guess I know how to run a Wood Mizer. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Kbeitz

I have a collection of old repulsion induction motors that I'm sure still have there original brushes.
Some are made back in the 30's and 40's.

Brush longevity depends on a good brush film that, in turn, depends on a lot of controllable factors.
Carbon rubbing on bare copper has a high coefficient of friction. A standard, non-plated commutator with a good film achieves the lowest coefficient of friction. With good film, the coefficient of friction can be reduced to 10 % of the original bare copper value.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Peter Drouin

Can I apply more film?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

I wonder if fluid film would work?
Boy, back in my day..

Kbeitz

When electric current is passed between the carbon and copper in the presence of water vapor,
a microscopic layer of copper carbon composite or film, is formed. Good film is chocolate brown
or burnished bronze to dark brown or black and uniform in color. It is not bright copper or burnt
black copper. There is a condition known as false filming in which brush graphite deposits
become cooked on the commutator resulting in an appearance similar to dark film. Oil can also
leave a coating which resembles film. If this film can be easily wiped away, it's not the desired
good commutator film!
Commutator filming is a continuous process. That is, the film is continuously being formed and
stripped away. A good film is only 200 nano inch thick (0.000,000,2 inch or 0.000,005,08 mm).
Thus the conditions required to build good film must always be present. Changes in current,
humidity, etc. will affect the commutator film.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

LeeB

This just in, new reports on brush wear by Kbeitz. Film at 11.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Peter Drouin

I hope the new brushes do as good.
Thanks Kbeitz
A&P saw Mill LLC.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 30, 2016, 09:48:22 PM

Well, I don't know what to tell you. I will take a pic of the hour meter.
I guess I know how to run a Wood Mizer. ;D
No need, certainly not questioning your statements. Just making sure I heard you right.  Wondering how it can be, in light of my experience, and  WM publishing these in the list of wear items.

One of mine went around 2500 hours.  Had both motors rebuilt one by an expensive place that were supposed to know everything the other by an alternator shop.  The former rebuild was shot in 300 hours, used a different wrong kind of brush. Replaced it with a new Iskra and had the other rebuilt by the alternator shop as a spare.  The alternator shop rebuild is still going fine I should check the brush length soon.

Ox

Quote from: 4x4American on January 30, 2016, 11:09:00 PM
I wonder if fluid film would work?

Please, nobody try this for anything with electrical contact.  It says on the Fluid Film literature not to put on electrical connections before assembly as it's an insulator and not a conductor, but is recommended after the connection is made as a corrosion protection coating.  Works a charm on battery connections and grounds to frames or engine blocks.  I use it on every single bolt that comes out and goes back in.  You know how they're always putting steel bolts into or through aluminum?  Galvanic corrosion right there from two dissimilar metals exchanging molecules.  Fluid Film stops this.  Best stuff on the planet, IMO.  :)

That being said, I just read a can of the stuff and this isn't mentioned on it.  I've never personally tried to use it before an electrical connection.  I must have read it on the website.

It's amazing to me how little wear those brushes show after 3500 hrs.  I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it!  :D
But, that motor wasn't turning the whole 3500 hrs, either, right?  That would account for less wear, anyway.

Kbeitz - thanks for sharing your knowledge.  Fascinating stuff that I never knew.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

ladylake

Have to ask with very little wear on the brushes are you sure that motor was running when it should?   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 30, 2016, 07:41:27 PM

Marty, you out there?  :D :D :D

Peter, I'm standing in for Marty this week......what ya need Bud?  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

MartyParsons

QuotePeter, I'm standing in for Marty this week......what ya need Bud?

Seriously? God bless you! I have a list of customers who may need you this week. What is your phone # I will forward my calls.

Now.
There is no o-ring between the hydraulic pump motor and the hydraulic pump. There is a seal. I have never replaced one. I have seen some oil seeping from the seal but never a real leak.
Here is the part # for the seal. Seal, Hydraulic Pump/Motor #02330 P10315

Hope this helps.

Marty

I posted some info about the contact strip and motor brushes on the service of a WM last week. Not sure if any one saw it. I added it or did a modify.

OK while we are on this topic. I see a potential fire hazard in this picture.

The positive post on the motor on the right. Here what has happened ( there is a safety bulletin on this you should have received from WM)  the threads rub on the pressure hose while in operation or in transport. The high pressure hose has wire in it. When you activate the pump motor it creates a fine mist ( after the hose has rubbed through) of hydraulic oil and a spark. It does not explode but does make a nice torch. So to solve this issue. The Bulletin says to locate the positive post of the motors at the 5 o-clock position not at the 1 o-clock position. You may need to relocate the wires going to the solenoid to get them to reach. Every service I change these or inspect to make sure they have been changed.
If you want the bulletin sent to you send me a PM.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Kbeitz

I helped Grizzly tools rewind motors and I seen brushes last forever and some that don't.
The good or bad shape of the armature has a lot to do with the life of the brushes.
Also how much torque the motor is under really makes a difference.
If you have a lot of sparking the brushes wont last.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Peter Drouin

Thanks for info Marty,
I will call WM Monday, Some pics.

All the brushes that came in the mill from the two motors. And the other guts of the #2 motor.

:D :D ;D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Marty, is the fire safety memo from WM just on the Supers?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

MartyParsons

Hello,

Here is the revision range.

Model Rev.
LT30HD J1.02 - K2637
LT40HD K2.02 - K5984
LT40HD Super J9.02 - K3535
LT50HD A1.02 - A5162
LT70HD A7.10 - B4794

For you Mr. Poston.  I looked and your last five in your serial# is K5111 and your revision # is K5.05. So you should check your motor. After serial # K5984 the solution was built into the mills.

Mr. Drouin Your last 5 is K1424 Revision K 1.02 so you need to adjust your motors also.

Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Peter Drouin

I'm on it Mr Parsons, And thank you very much for all the info,
Call me Pete. ;)
But, don't call me for grits. :D :D :D :D

Mr Poston, smiley_nananana smiley_nananana smiley_nananana :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

:D :D

I remember receiving that notice. I didn't reclock my pump motors, so they must have been OK.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!