iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clutch mystery

Started by madmari, January 29, 2016, 09:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmari

The other day I'd had enough of filling a reservoir on my clutch master cylinder and took it apart. Lots of junk in the piston area, to include a full pine needle. Anyway, I cleaned it put it back together, filled the reservoir and pumped until I had pedal.Good news is that the leak has subsided substantially. I replaced the slave cylinder a couple moths ago
   I couldn't bleed the slave end because I had no 10mm  wrench (yeah, these new parts are metric), but i never took anything apart down there, so I assume I was ok.
   Well now I am having problems shifting. I get a full pedal on the clutch, but it has gotten worse- to the point I cannot get the  transmission in gear. Could I have ruined the clutch? Or is it a bleed problem? I cannot tell if the clutch is disengaging fully.
  This is on a 4 speed 1966 TreeFarmer C4.

I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

grassfed

Sounds like you need to bleed the slave.

I think that if you took the master cylinder apart you would have to bleed the slave to get all of the air out of the system.

Not going into gear is a sign that the clutch is not disengaging.

I can't see how you could have hurt the clutch but if you had contaminated fluid in the master cylinder you should bleed the the slave until you are sure that you have clear clean fluid coming out.
Mike

North River Energy

^What he said.
Since you replaced the slave, some of that crud may have migrated from the master to the business end. Depending on the layout, 'trapped' air might migrate to the top overnight. But don't bet on it.

OntarioAl

X3
I more than likely trapped air.
Al
Al Raman

HiTech

I had a tiny leak where the line goes into the slave cylinder. Must be a stick came up and hit it. I just bent it back and it has been good since. It didn't take much for the clutch to stop working. Just a couple drops coming out.

madmari

I'm gonna check the line and bleed it from stem to stern. Hopefully my problem will be remedied. Thanks.

47sawdust

madmari,
How did you make out moving the logs in your previous post?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Puffergas

I have had problems bleeding new master brake cylinders in the past. The cure was connecting a short tub from the outlet back into the resovor and pump for a long time until no air bubbles show up then keep pumping some more...... 😨
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

madmari

Only feasible way to get the logs to the truck is to skid them a mile. River won't freeze hard and just too wide. Slow and steady wins the race, right? We'll see if a 50 year old skidder  can get it done. No quit in her, but she sure likes to be ornery.

ohiowoodchuck

Does the slave cylinder push on a clutch fork or is internal in the transmission. I always bleed from the bottom up. Pull the slave if you can and tilt it so the hose points close to vertical and pump it. It should get harder to push after a few pumps. Now you can reinstall and now remove the master cylinder enough so you can tilt it so the hose leading to the resivoir is close the vertical. Now pump it till it gets firm and reinstall. If you watched the resivoir will you was doing you should of seen a lot of air bubbles working there way out. Usually when you open up the system air gets trapped in the master cylinder and it's hard to get out. Tilting it at angle forces the air up. Hope this helps. 
Education is the best defense against the media.

Gearbox

When I bleed a slave I pick up a cattle syringe and fill it with brake fluid then hook a hose to the bleeder and push the fluid from the bottom up . air goes up way better than down . Those syringe's are only a couple of bucks at fleet farm .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

madmari

Master cylinder spring was installed backwards. Works good now. Putzy move with frozen brain and fingers I guess.

Thank You Sponsors!