iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

i have a question

Started by jmouton, January 28, 2016, 08:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmouton

so   we have a sawmill and have a source for alot of pine ,  and i was toying with the idea of building a log cabin and selling it ,,like an up north hunting cabin type , just the frame ,ridge beam and rafters ,   does anybody else do this ,i know people do , but we mainly saw for others , i geuss what i mean is it sounds like it would be fun and intersting ,    i have the area to build it maybe 16  x  20  ,  level and square an area out and build it ,  then take pictures of it and try to sell it ,, we can get the logs pretty cheap and then saw them into a d shape  ,notch the corners and then build it ,, i   dont know if i am dreaming or not but  we would like to try it ,, i know i am missing some stuff ,  any comment or advice  would be greatly appreciated

jim

lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

venice

I would go for it if material and time is available and i would'nt have to take out a mortgage to feed the kids if it does'nt sell right away. Kinda spec home building. If this is your first build, you might run into some challenges. Prepare for that.

I guess the most important part is to know and how to find what kind of customer you are looking for.

The one who is looking for a turn-key-project or the one who likes to finish where you left off in order to save money. Make up your mind who you want to be your customer! Based on the service you are able and willing to provide. Provide some qualitiy work, have a pro taking the pictures and do your homework in marketing your work and yourself.

Have fun and good luck. venice

GAB

Quote from: jmouton on January 28, 2016, 08:43:39 PM
so   we have a sawmill and have a source for alot of pine ,  and i was toying with the idea of building a log cabin and selling it ,,like an up north hunting cabin type , just the frame ,ridge beam and rafters ,   does anybody else do this ,i know people do , but we mainly saw for others , i geuss what i mean is it sounds like it would be fun and intersting ,    i have the area to build it maybe 16  x  20  ,  level and square an area out and build it ,  then take pictures of it and try to sell it ,, we can get the logs pretty cheap and then saw them into a d shape  ,notch the corners and then build it ,, i   dont know if i am dreaming or not but  we would like to try it ,, i know i am missing some stuff ,  any comment or advice  would be greatly appreciated                                                                                                          jim                                                                                     

Have you considered selling packages, like so many linear feet of 6, 8 or 10" D logs, or the exterior face sawed at an angle to shed rain water.
Invariably what ever size you build most buyers will desire larger or smaller.
You might consider putting up a small one close by for show and tell ie a talking piece.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Farmerjw

I had a buddy that tried that.  Children's playhouses, log deer blinds were about the same size.  Small cabins/retreats.  They were nice, some built on site could be slid onto a trailer and dropped in place.  I kept trying to tell him to get a credit card machine.  He was located on a highway, many out of towners stopped and looked.  But they didn't have the cash on hand and if he had gotten a credit card machine (now it can be added onto a cell phone based on what I see on tv).  I firmly believe his sales would have skyrocketed.  Just my opinion. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Artski

Quote from: jmouton on January 28, 2016, 08:43:39 PM
so   we have a sawmill and have a source for alot of pine ,  and i was toying with the idea of building a log cabin and selling it ,,like an up north hunting cabin type , just the frame ,ridge beam and rafters ,   does anybody else do this ,i know people do , but we mainly saw for others , i geuss what i mean is it sounds like it would be fun and intersting ,    i have the area to build it maybe 16  x  20  ,  level and square an area out and build it ,  then take pictures of it and try to sell it ,, we can get the logs pretty cheap and then saw them into a d shape  ,notch the corners and then build it ,, i   dont know if i am dreaming or not but  we would like to try it ,, i know i am missing some stuff ,  any comment or advice  would be greatly appreciated

I saw your question and thought to myself, I don't remember posting this question, and had to check to see who the original poster was. I've been building some timber/rustic/slab tables and sold them after finishing them for some really good money.

Thank You Sponsors!