iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Baker Blue Streak 3665D

Started by Horselog, January 28, 2016, 07:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horselog

I'm looking for anyone with experience around a big Baker with a diesel.  I really like the looks of it, and am wondering what downsides there might be.  I definitely like the Cummins diesel, the blade tensioner and the overall heavy duty look of it. 

Yes I know an LT70 is a good mill too, I'm wanting to give everyone a fair shot here.  I personally like the heavier look of the Baker.

But what I'm really looking for is experience with it, and it would be even more interesting if anyone also had Wood-Mizer experience. 

For those who haven't seen my other recent posts, I'm looking at setting up a smaller production operation to go with my current logging operation.  Somewhere between 5 and 10MBF/day is probably what I'd initially end up doing.

I'm going back and forth between a big portable and a stationary.  Experience with any Baker would be helpful.
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

280 rem

A friend has one, it's has served him well for quite a few, very hard abusive years. Drove a few hours to check out a dominator in use. They seemed happy, and definitely one heavy built machine. I did see a dominator for sale a few months ago with a diesel motor, so I'm sure baker is willing to configure it as portable if you wished. No complaints on the baker edger I own, it does its job fine. It will be replaced someday by something bigger.

Look at the select 3620 for portable and 4221 for stationary as well if you like heavy built, and setup and supported properly should offer production towards the higher side of your listed production range. I'll have more insight into that in a few months as we transition into a new 4221 in the coming weeks
We saw walnut lumber for the same reason Willie Sutton said he robbed banks, "because that's where the money is"

Select 4221E, baker edger, cat 908 loader, Jd 548E, timberjack 230d, hood 7000 loader.

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

fishpharmer

Consider customer service.  Woodmizer sets the standard in my opinion.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ladylake

I'd guess all the major manufactures have good customer service, best service is if it's not needed.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

slider

Custom sawyer and i watched this mill earlier at the ag expo in Moultrie Ga and I was impressed.I will admit that I am hard core woodmizer.What i liked most was the speed of the hydraulics.
al glenn

280 rem

Didn't that mill win the sawmill shoot out this past fall? Owning products of both companies I have found bakers customer service less needed, and quite a bit better when I did.
We saw walnut lumber for the same reason Willie Sutton said he robbed banks, "because that's where the money is"

Select 4221E, baker edger, cat 908 loader, Jd 548E, timberjack 230d, hood 7000 loader.

Jim_Wahl

I bought a used one about a year ago. It has been very reliable, but on the few occasions I need anything the parts are only a couple of days away. Absolutely no complaints here!
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

SineWave

TmbrCruiser here on the forum recently got one, I believe. Might be worth a PM.

Carson-saws

I have made remarks here and there about the BAKER...In order to "CMB"...only because this question was posed and the fact that I am well aware that "one mans food is another's poison" I simply want to be sure that ANY mill is goodI am not a salesmen  but...I personally like the BAKER very much...very well built and a lot of thought in the design...the setworks are accurate and user friendly...the operation also very user friendly...the mill in question tows very nice with no worries about turn radius or extending obstructions.  Both the 38 and 65 diesel are MORE than adequate for powering this beast.  The construction is very strong and leveling is very simple.  The outrigger stabilizes the unit well and set up on a "typical" area is quick and easy.  The model you are asking about has a large fuel tank which is actually a marine fuel tank...I have owned 3 different BAKER mills and as far as service goes...never a problem...in fact they actually sent their service truck up here to upgrade the mill at no cost to me...ceptin dinner...As far as blades go...well...that is obviously a choice each sawyer has to make for them self..yet..I prefer Lennox....There is a list of great things that can be said about the BAKER as I am sure there is equally the same list for other companies...but again...the question was asked.

side bar:...yes the BAKER has won the shoot out on several occasions...yet...so has the other companies.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

paddler

ive got a baker bluestreak. i love it. customer service has been fantastic. mine was made in the early 2000's and has a diesel kubota. Its easy and intuative to use and maintain. I tow it with an chevy 1500 and it sets up real quick. ive never had any issues with it other than basic maintenance.

A woodmizer looks pretty small sitting next that baker!

drobertson

I have been around  both,  spoke with sawyers that bleed blue, others orange, it really is a Chevy, ford, and dodge thing,  all have had, and will continue to have at times issues.  Speaking from only three years of Paul Bunyan shows,  each of the companies have good service reps,  the reality of it in my opinion is how the mills will be set up, off bearers, edgers and the like for production, and just how each mill fills the bill for fluidity to said plan. Its  also important to remember there's more  to an operation than the mill itself,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Carson-saws

drobertson....yes Sir...it is the sawyer that makes the saw...not the saw that makes the sawyer....I just happen to be partial to the BAKER and very happy with them.  The folks that JUST got their BAKER and all the other goodies that were added to their operation are an example of what is available.  I suppose if someone has real deep pockets the edgers,planers, off load and stacking features are all equally as heavy duty built as the BAKER mill is it self.  and...well...I like the color better too.....sorry couldn't resist.  But like drobertson said...some like Ford or Chevy etc etc...to each their own as long as you're milling safely, and having fun doing it.

ladylake

Nice to know that setup is easy, if I ever buy another mill I'll be checking out all of all hydraulic mills.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

4x4American

Quote from: ladylake on September 27, 2016, 06:08:54 PM
Nice to know that setup is easy, if I ever buy another mill I'll be checking out all of all hydraulic mills.  Steve

My old boss bought a 3665 Baker and he hasn't had a chance to build a shelter for it yet.  So for awhile he parked it in one barn and whenever he would saw with it he would hook it to his truck and drag it to where he was sawing on his property and saw and then put it away.  So if he went through that hassle, setup can't be bad.  He told me it takes 10min
Boy, back in my day..

tmbrcruiser

Tomorrow will be the first day cutting on my mill, a Baker 3650E with and edger. I went to the Paul Bunyan Show and watched the sawmill shoot out. If production was the only factor in choosing a mill I don't think there is a dimes difference in the Baker or the Woodmizer. Having said this the Baker won the shoot out by a few boards. My decision came down to design and I felt the four post head of the Baker was a better design and I don't want to knock Woodmizer design. There are a lot of orange machines out there.

I purchase an electric mill because I knew I want the mill to be stationary. Word of caution talk to an electrical engineer about your service and the equipment you intend to run. If you do not have three phase power making it is possible but not cheap. Don't ask me how I know. Now that it's done I think I will be happy with electric.

Please PM me if you have any questions you think I can help with.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

scsmith42

Unless Baker has changed their design from Tom's mill (3638D Mfg in 2008), I defy any one person to start with one in transport mode (saw head over the axles and pinned in place, blade untensioned) and completely and properly set it up in 10 minutes.  An hour is more realistic.

I'm talking about properly leveled from end to end and side to side, within 1/16", with all supports properly set and tightened. 

Two of the leveling jacks are in-between the back axles, and an unholy pain to set up.  You have about 1/8 of a turn on your wrench to loosen and tighten the load jack bolts on that pair of jacks, and usually have to crawl on your back under the axle's to set some blocks under the jacks, and then use the jack handle from the side in-between the springs and the frame to move the jacks up and down. 

Setup time and hassle is my single greatest frustration with a Baker.  You can't have any of the leveling jacks extending above the carriage or else the saw head will hit them.  So that means that when setting up you're using a combination of blocks under the jacks or digging them out for increased clearance unless you are on a perfectly level site.  I finally removed some of the jacks and refabricated them for clearance of the sawhead.

Maybe Tom is more difficult than most, as it is their longest carriage and can mill a 25' log. 

Yes, the Baker is much heavier than the Woodmizer (9K lbs for my mill versus 5K lbs for an LT70), but ease and quickness of setup is one area where Woodmizer flat out smokes a Baker.  If your business will primarily be 18' and shorter logs, milled at the customers site, I would lean more towards Woodmizer.

If you're going to primarily operate as a stationary mill, then the field tilts more towards the Baker.

From a customer support perspective, my dealings with the Baker Tech and Part's folks has been great.

In my humble opinion.....

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Carson-saws

tmbrcruiser.... :D...perhaps if it is the first time setting the mill up it might take longer than 10 min.  but..With a crew that has done this many many times and leveled "hither and yon"  The mill is up and running in no more than 20 min at best...or worst...however way you choose to say it...I would only expect a "loyal WM" person to make an attempt to find some kind of "flaw" and as stated..one mans food is another's poison.  Alas...I have never had any trouble or "pain in the hinder parts" with set up in any location..All I can say is...I personally do not care who runs what...all I care about is doing it safely...enjoying it... sharing information...learning...and carrying on...

jclvsall

We have the 3665 and the 3638. 

Love them.

We have the 2" 3665D It is amazing!

We have had a few repairs. I wont lie. But I will not complain!  Brad and David at Baker have stayed on the phone sometimes for an hour as we walk through something on the machine.  Couldn't find better service really.  I have had David get a part off their machine to tell me a measurement of what's behind it. 

We have run Timberking and woodmizer but settled on the baker.  It is the speed we can push through the white oak and hickory with that 2" that impresses me.

I will tell you this.  I spent a bunch of time on here when we owned the TK and WM but not anymore.

Brian
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.  Ben Franklin

4x4American

Quote from: jclvsall on October 03, 2016, 07:23:30 PM
We have the 3665 and the 3638. 

Love them.

We have the 2" 3665D It is amazing!

We have had a few repairs. I wont lie. But I will not complain!  Brad and David at Baker have stayed on the phone sometimes for an hour as we walk through something on the machine.  Couldn't find better service really.  I have had David get a part off their machine to tell me a measurement of what's behind it. 

We have run Timberking and woodmizer but settled on the baker.  It is the speed we can push through the white oak and hickory with that 2" that impresses me.

I will tell you this.  I spent a bunch of time on here when we owned the TK and WM but not anymore.

Brian

How are the setworks on them?  After having the WM Accuset II setworks, I feel like I would be at a disadvantage without them, they were the main reason I went orange, and they really impress the heck out of me.  But I can't push the feed the way I would like to be able to.

I think one day in my biz plan, I want to have a setup that is a combination of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRAF5gC9Ggk

and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=223aFkBccDs

Would definitely go 2" band. 

Or the heck with it, go all in and get a Lumber Pro  sail_smiley smiley_angel02_wings :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Gru0IyX6s
Boy, back in my day..

jclvsall

The old setworks on the 3638 dont have a core.  But the new one the 3665 has very good setworks.  I can't imagine cutting without it now.  The dragback as well.  We didn't have that on the lt40 or the b20.

But we are in it for production.  I liked cutting with the others for custom work but when we headed into production the 2" was the way to go.

We run 2" .055 7* turbos from WM.  Woodmizer has a real fine blade right there.

Brian
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.  Ben Franklin

4x4American

Yea those turbos are top shelf that's for sure. 

How do the setworks on the 3665 work?  I've been to shows and the setworks on the 3665 are always wrapped up in plastic cause the guy who saws for them from NH doesn't use them...but I do, so I wanna see how they work and how accurate they are
Boy, back in my day..

jclvsall

You have 8 preset cores and 8 preset sets.

The core is what you want to end on.  Example : cutting a crosstie I would use a 7" and 9" core and a 1 1/8" set for sideboards.

The motion would be a togle switch on that panel to chose your set ( first use only. After that set us locked in until you change it)  then you togle the core. 

As you cut you have a 4way joystic next to your hydraulic valves.  L & R move the movable guide in and out. Fwd is joging your set down the chosen 1 1/8th" back is raising for your dragback.

You also next to your joyatick have 2 togles one for debarker on off.  One to reset on setworks.

I hope that helps.

If I get a chance I will video for you and post it.

Brian

Thank You Sponsors!