iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anchorseal in a sprayer

Started by WV Sawmiller, January 28, 2016, 09:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I have read and seen videos of people using anchorseal in pump up garden type sprayers which is what I am thinking of doing. How well does it store in them? Do you have to empty and clean the hose and sprayer after every use or can you leave it in the sprayer without cleaning between uses?

I am thinking of just leaving a sprayer full out by my mill if that works.  If its too labor intensive I will just brush it on. I'd welcome any experience you can share.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

scsmith42

We apply Anchorseal via sprayer and would not want to do it any other way. The sprayer is not cleaned out between applications.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: scsmith42 on January 28, 2016, 09:57:50 AM
We apply Anchorseal via sprayer and would not want to do it any other way. The sprayer is not cleaned out between applications.

SC,

Thanks. I gather there are no issues with the hose or tips getting plugged.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

scsmith42

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 28, 2016, 10:02:05 AM
Quote from: scsmith42 on January 28, 2016, 09:57:50 AM

SC,

Thanks. I gather there are no issues with the hose or tips getting plugged.

Never had a problem with the hose clogging, but the tips commonly do clog.  A minute or so under a hot water faucet and they clean right up.

YellowHammer

I now use a high pressure power sprayer, a Graco, used for painting houses, at about a 1\3 gallon a minute for large jobs with no thinning.  Pull the trigger and stand back, job's done.  I also use a smaller handheld Graco cup power sprayer for smaller amounts of logs and boards.  Love it, will never go back to a brush, it's extremely fast. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

My thoughts were to just keep a sprayer filled and spray my logs as I bucked them to length. Maybe spray the end of a stack of high value lumber,  cookies or slabs once in a while. It does not sound like I'd be using anywhere near the volume YH is talking about. Sounds like I might just need to bring the sprayer tip in with me at the end of the days and rinse it good in hot water to be ready for the next use.

Thanks guys.
Howard Green

landscraper

If you are using a steel pump-up sprayer like a Chapin etc. you can invert the spray tank so that the pickup tube is "up" and not submerged in your liquid and then hit the spray nozzle until only air comes out - it will clean most of the liquid out of the hose and nozzle.  Been doing that for years for sprayers with concrete curing compound.   If you ever have a nozzle that is beyond cleaning the replacement Chapin nozzles are cheap, like $8 - $10. 

Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: landscraper on January 29, 2016, 05:15:21 PM
If you are using a steel pump-up sprayer like a Chapin etc. you can invert the spray tank so that the pickup tube is "up" and not submerged in your liquid and then hit the spray nozzle until only air comes out - it will clean most of the liquid out of the hose and nozzle.  Been doing that for years for sprayers with concrete curing compound.   If you ever have a nozzle that is beyond cleaning the replacement Chapin nozzles are cheap, like $8 - $10.

Landscaper,

My plan was to just use the cheap plastic pump up sprayers from TSC as what I have on hand. I assume this would work for them too. Have you ever had a different experience?

Thanks for the tip. I will try that anyway. I'm not thinking I will need more than a quart or so of Anchorseal at a time for the size jobs I'm thinking of.
Howard Green

landscraper

Probably so - if the pickup tube is at the bottom of the reservoir then yes, you should be able to just invert it so that it is not getting liquid anymore.  It has to be pumped up obviously so that you can empty the hose with the air pressure.  Make sure you have the lid/pump screwed down tight so you don't anchorseal yourself when you flip it.  Good luck.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

WV Sawmiller

Landscaper,

What's the worst that could happen if I accidentally Anchorsealed myself? Might retard the aging process and help keep me looking young and good looking. 8) :D :D

I think I heard Mary Kay cosmetics came from a lady noticing the tanning agents her trapper dad used seemed to keep his skin free of wrinkles.
Howard Green

MikeON

I haven't yet tried a garden sprayer for Anchorseal but will do so after reading this thread.  I do use them for other things, and I drill a hole near the top and install a tire valve.  I fill it with compressed air from a small portable tank.  Saves a lot of pumping.  I watch when the sprayer's relief valve starts hissing to avoid overpressurizing.
Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

OffGrid973

You may retain a little more water if you spray yourself so keep head and bottom of feet clear to avoid a few extra pounds :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 29, 2016, 08:40:06 PM
Landscaper,

What's the worst that could happen if I accidentally Anchorsealed myself? Might retard the aging process and help keep me looking young and good looking. 8) :D :D

I think I heard Mary Kay cosmetics came from a lady noticing the tanning agents her trapper dad used seemed to keep his skin free of wrinkles.
Ever been to a wax museum?  You don't want to be the new exhibit there.  ::) ::) ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

scsmith42

If you use a garden sprayer you will need to increase the nozzle size significantly because of the viscosity of the end sealer as compared with most liquids that flow through a garden sprayer.

Jim_Wahl

What size hole do you need for best results? I tried it out yesterday and it was pretty obvious that it needed to be bigger, but I don't want to over do it and have to start all over from fresh scratch.
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

Jim_Wahl

Never mind. I found it on the product brochure at the uc coatings web site. In case anyone else is interested, they say to us a nosle opening at .021" or .55 mm or larger.
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

Brian C.

Where do you guys get your anchor seal and in what quantity?

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Brian C. on February 01, 2016, 06:47:21 PM

Brian,

I just bought a 5 gallon plastic pail of it directly from UC Coatings. $92 including shipping.
Howard Green

YellowHammer

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 01, 2016, 07:04:11 PM
Quote from: Brian C. on February 01, 2016, 06:47:21 PM

Brian,

I just bought a 5 gallon plastic pail of it directly from UC Coatings. $92 including shipping.
I buy mine straight from UC as well.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Brucer

I tried applying it with a garden sprayer several years ago. It worked great when the (plastic) nozzle wasn't plugged, but I spent more time unplugging the nozzle than spraying.

Now that I know what size to drill the nozzle out to, I may give it another go. Thanks for the info.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Brian C.

Thanks WV and YH. Jim and I just acquired about 100 pine logs that we cut down and we figure we better seal them up.

Thank You Sponsors!