iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What were you doing

Started by goose63, January 28, 2016, 08:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goose63

30 years ago today ?

I woke up in the V. A. after a operation for cancer and the space shuttle looked like a big bottle rocket
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

LeeB

Working on a drilling rig in the G.O.M. off the coast of Louisiana. Can't remember if I had already gone to bed or not. I know I was working nights when it happened.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

Working for the low income winterizing a house in Wilton. I still know what house too. The women came out of the house and told us what happened. We all went in to see the tragic event.
Has it really been 30 years??  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

RSO 4th Marines at Camp Schwab Okinawa Japan. Had been there about 2-3 weeks and trying to get a budget submitted and unscramble the finances my predecessor had left me. Painful at the time but turned out to be a real nice tour.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Corley5

I was a junior in high school and we were walking back to the high school from the elementary school cafeteria after lunch.  Wendy Flemish now Wendy Babcock came up to Doug Ford and I and told us the Shuttle had blown up.  We didn't believe it.  When we got to the school the principal, Mr. Martin, motioned us into his office to see the footage on TV  :( :(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Roger2561

I was at work listening to music on the radio when the program was interrupted for a special news bulletin.  I turned off the radio, went one of the conference rooms and turned on the TV.  I think better than 60% of the employees were gathered around that TV. 
Roger

grweldon

I was stationed in Neu-Ulm, West Germany in the Army.  I was entering a computer program into my Atari 800XL computer.  My wife and I had the TV on watching the launch with the volume down as it was a German station.  As the explosion occurred, I told my wife that something was wrong... THAT wasn't supposed to happen.  Tuned to Armed Forces Radio and nobody was coming out directly saying what happened for quite a few minutes, other than a "launch anomaly".
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Cedarman

Was in a cedar thicket whacking trees.  Took a break and was listening to the radio when it happened.  Don't know why I stopped when I did just to listen to the radio.  Unusual to park so close to where I was cutting.  Vivid.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

LaneC

I was on my first trip offshore. I went out with a buddy of mine on a pipe laying/derrick barge. My first trip, I rode with him and his face got smashed by a 40 foot length of pipe that fell from the crane, bounced and hit him. I saw them taking him to the heliport so he could be airlifted, but I did not know it was him until the next day. His face was bad and we had 300 something people on board. I was able to get home (6 weeks later) by getting a ride to the bus station. Not a welcome that you want in any career, however the oilfield is a very dangerous place to make a living.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Dave Shepard

In Mr Alvarez's class watching it happen on TV.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ron Wenrich

Sawing.  Heard about it on the way home.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

I was pulling into the sawmill after running home for lunch when I heard it on the truck radio. Most of my where were you moments from 1979 to 2005 are answered with at the sawmill. I do remember the night of Shock and Awe" we were at a lasagna party hosted by our sawmill's truck driver.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Like most of you, I was at work. Some guy's wife called and told him about it so we turned on the TV.  Not much work got done that afternoon.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ljohnsaw

I only recall watching it live and, if that's the case, I must have been in the Dispatch Center at work (electric power company) as they were the only ones who had a TV on (all the time).
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

GAB

At the time I was the fuel sensor and wiring harness manufacturing to engineering liaison, and I heard it on the radio as I was traveling from the assembly plant back to the engineering office.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Roxie

My boss had given me permission to take my lunch hour during the expected launch time.  I was home with the TV on in my easy chair.  Spent the better half of my break trying to pull myself together. 
Say when

JJ

I was in school, 11'th grade watching it on TV for science class as they had Christa McAuliffe, a school teacher as passenger.
They sent us home early after.

JJ

Dan_Shade

I was in the 6th grade, some students were picked at random to watch the launch in the school library.

I wasn't in the library, but remember thinking other students were kidding when they said it exploded when they came back to the classroom.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Papa1stuff

I was home and outside my house watching the launch as it could be see clearly from where I live. It was very shocking to say the least and took a minute to sink in to what had just happened before our eyes. pretty heart breaking for sure!!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Ocklawahaboy

In ms Cushman's first grade class.  We had written a letter to Christa McAuliffe as a class project a few weeks earlier.  They broke the news to us and we didn't really understand the ramifications for a while.  Everyone I know saw the cloud from the explosion but they kept us in class. 

When Columbia went I was driving to meet a group of NASA employees and their kids for a hike.  That was interesting.... 

Chuck White

I was just starting my second year being stationed at Elmendorf AFB, Alaska.

Just about 3 years before my USAF Retirement!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WmFritz

Chuck, my Dad was stationed there around the time I was born. He absolutely loved his time in Alaska.

I was working construction in Denver on a high-rise building, when the Challenger disaster happened.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Brian_Weekley

We just came home from the vet after putting my wife's 18 year old cat down.  Turned on the TV and we started crying all over again.  Talk about a double whammy... :'(
e aho laula

coxy

sitting on my bench in the principal office keeping him company like I did every day  :D :D

GAB

Quote from: coxy on January 28, 2016, 06:30:37 PM
sitting on my bench in the principal office keeping him company like I did every day  :D :D

Question: Are you telling us that in the good old days - you weren't good, and you weren't old.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!