iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diaginal measurements

Started by moosehunter, October 15, 2004, 05:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

I once saw a contractor take out a small calculator, punch a few buttons and come up with the diaginal measurements for a building to make it square.
 Is there a formula for this ( shy of some complicated calculus problem) or is it a special calculator?
Moosehunter
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

sprucebunny

A squared + B squared equals C squared . C is the diagonal
If your sides are 3' by 4' the diagonal is 5'.This will be true for multiples of 3 and 4 and that is a good base to start guessing when you need to find"C" and your right angle sides are not exactly multiples of 3 or 4.
Does that help?
Otherwise buy a $20 calculator .
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

beetle

It is a complicated formula, however, if you are just looking to square up your project just measure your diagonals. If the measurments are equal you are square, if not, move one leg of the triangle untill they are equal. Easy as that.

If you really want the calculation, it is the square root of the sum of the equal lenghts squared and there aint enough paper on my desk to run it out long hand. Most calculators today have a square root key.

You need to find the square root of "C" listed in the above post.
Too many hobbies...not enough time.

moosehunter

That gave me a headache  :D.
Is the calculator a special one?
Maybe I need to take a six pack to my old math teachers house!
Moosehunter
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

beetle

Moosehunter,

Lets say you have a foundation 48" square and you want to find out the lenght of the hypotenuse ( the right triangle from corner to corner ). 48x48 plus 48x48 equals 4608. You need the square root of that sum ( 4608 ) enter that number on your calculator and hit the square root key ( its the one that looks like a check mark with a horizontal leg on top ) answer is 67.88 inchs.

beetle

You think that gave you a headache, here is the long hand method.//www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/squareRoot.html

:P :o

OneWithWood

Make it easy on yourself.  For each corner measure out 3' from the corner stake on one leg, place a mark and 4' out on the other leg, place another mark.  If your corner is square you whould have 5' along the diagonal between the two marks.  Do this for each corner.  If you have been meticulous the diagonals from corner to corner will be exactly the same.  If you are plotting a larger area use 9' and 12'.  the diagonal between the marks should measure 15' if the corner is square.

This is what Sprucebunny said in the first reply - I have just reworded subbing actual measurements for a, b and c.

If your head still hurts, drink two beers and reread in the morning :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Murf

The simplest way to do it is with nothing more than a tape measure and no calculations harder than simple addition.  

As was mentioned, carpenters have something they call the "3, 4, 5 rule", basically if one side is 3' long and the one next to it is 4' long, the distance between the two far ends must be 5' for the corner to be square.

So it doesn't matter how big something you're building is, if you want to check for square just pick a corner and measure out one wall 3' and tap in a nail, then go out 4' the other direction and tap in another nail. Measure between the nails and adjust until it is 5' ......

If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

beetle

That is what is so great about this Forum, we all learn from other people. I always measured corner to corner ? Nice to know there is a more simple method.

I learned something today.

Murf

Beetle, you're about to learn a second thing today... :D

The longer a measurement you use, the more accurate you will be because any error is averaged out over a longer distance.

Any multiple of 3, 4 & 5 will work.

If you are working on, for instance, a building 20' square, that is 5 times the 4' measure, so go 5 times the 3' measure or 15' out the other wall and measure across, it must be 5 times the 5' measure also, or 25' across to be square.

HTH

beetle

If I am reading your post correctly, therefore, measuring the complete corner to corner is the most accurate method. Therefore, I would assume that is why in the "books" they teach you the corner to corner method. Would it not then be quicker and more accurate on a 20' square building to measure your corner to corner, 28' 1/4". ::)

Fla._Deadheader

Does no one use "Batter Boards" anymore ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

QuoteWould it not then be quicker and more accurate on a 20' square building to measure your corner to corner, 28' 1/4".

If you are checking for square, yes, it would be quicker, but laying out, no. using 3-4-5 to lay out gives you square corners to begin with. Say if you are staking something out and simply using corner to corner, you have to adjust ALL corners to get them to final square.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bruce_A

My construction master IV says 28' 3 7/16". Batter boards have their place, but squaring is not one for me to use them on.  They work great for reference after all corners are located. Once a straight line and a starting point are established, only 2 corners will ever need to be moved to square.

beetle

Bruce,

I agree, I have always used the corner to corner method. Its quick, its simple, and square.

Everyone's got their preference and thats ok, just like a Ford or a Chevy?  ???

SwampDonkey

beetle:

Thanks for sharing that long hand method, cause I had forgotten ages ago how to do it. I'm not even sure it was simplified in this way. ;)

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Minnesota_boy

You guys are all doing this backward and the hard way besides.  Just plan your building to be 30' X 40' and the diagonal will always be 50' and no calculator will be needed.  ;D

If that isn't big enough you can make it 60 by 80.  :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

SwampDonkey

30' X 50' would be better :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bruce_A

jgoodhart

Garges are never big enough.

beetle

Thats why I am currently building another, yet this one is two story. Its that auction fever   8)

leweee

AMEN !!! ;D (to the garage be'en too small) ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Engineer

I always use the method of equal diagonal measurements to check for square after layout.  Measure opposite diagonals, if they are equal, you're guaranteed square; if not, move things a bit until they are.  The key is to figure out what to move and how far.

I cheat on the layout though.  I use a Topcon total station to get my corners within 0.01' to begin with, and then work from that for more precision.   ;D

OneWithWood

FDH, I still use the tried and true batter boards and builders twine to lay out my buildings.  I guess if I would take the time to learn how to use one I could rent a transit and get it down a few minutes quicker, but deep down I am just a simple ole fart ( that's similar to a G.P.I.T.A. only different :D )
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Murf

Stupid question of the day time........

One, how do you know if the builders twine that you use for your layout is forming square corners if you don't calulate the corner to corner distances to check them?

Thank You Sponsors!