iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Caribou hunting

Started by Sawyerfortyish, October 14, 2004, 07:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

Anybody ever been? I'm going to Labrador in mid November for a winter hunt. I have no idea what to expect. Dang cold I guess. Myself and a buddy are driving there. There ain't no way i'm a flying. Just wondering what the terrain is like and what kind footwear and clothing I need.

Kevin

Looooong open shooting from what I've seen.

Sawyerfortyish

I'm taking my 30.06 but I'm not used to shooting a rifle. Here in NJ most hunting is done with a shotgun and buckshot. I've been to Montana antolope hunting so thats about what I can compare it to.I'm also taking a 50 cal black powder. Since your allowed to take two I wanted to try to get the second with that. What kind of weather can we expect in late November?

Buzz-sawyer

sawyer
I havent been yet , just seen guys ambush em along trail ways with bow.....similair to white tail..........get us some pics you lucky dog ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Kevin

QuoteWhat kind of weather can we expect in late November?

That sounds pretty late in the year for caribou, you can bet it will be windy with wet snow or freezing rain.
Depends on how much walking or still hunting you'll be doing as to the clothing.
A light ground tarp would be helpful.

pappy

Sawyerfortyish,

Me and the misses went up fishing in north Quebec (Gagnon) 3 or 4 years ago in late August. Some of Jim's friends stayed till Labor day.  When they left the pond in front of the camp was glazed over.

Jim goes up to Labrador (him and his buddies own 2 other camps up there)  in February to hunt Caribou they sit in the truck where the caribou cross. He told me his Johnny Walker gels in the bottle.  :o :o

It's a loooooong ride even from Baie Como, north of the Saint Lawrence river -- Ya might want to bring extra gas.  Where we stayed it was 80 miles to the nearest pump.

You really should do some serious homework as that is BIG country up there.  You must be doing a guided hunt??
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Sawyerfortyish

I do have a guide. We just have to get there. We have a cabin to stay in but must do our own cooking and have our own food. Now about that Johnny Walker geling I'm not a drinking man but it sounds to me like that stuff was watered down the good stuff is like antifreeze. I have already planned on taking a jerry can full of gas and my tire chains along with a comealong and a full tool kit. If its that cold up there I might just bring back the caribou unskinned in the carcass. Does customs give you a hard time bringing your game back into the US?. Besides open space is there much services in the little towns along Rt138?. Termite when you metioned Baie Como did you mean Baie Comeau( I took that off my map). I can't seem to get a good detailed map yet. My mother in law belongs to tripple A so she's getting me one. As for doing my homework thats what i'm doing right here. Who better to ask than people that have traveled or live there.

Kirk_Allen

I have managed to take three boos while stationed in Alaska.  One trophy and two meat critters.

Be prepared for long shots.  Practice, Practice, Practice, and then practice some more.

I haven't been to quebec but I bet if you have a guide you will do fine provided your catch the migration right.  Seems late in the year but again, my comparison is Alaska.  

Took my trophy with my 7mmwm at 320 yards.  He dropped in his tracks.  175 grain nosler partition handload. Busted his front shoulder and a small section of the bullet broke off and hit his spine.  One of the meat bulls was with my bow and the other with an 8mmwm.  Nothing better than some fresh round stakes from a boo.  Save the tounge.  Its good eating!  The natives will probably ask you for it.  Make them real happy and give it to them.  

Dont think about not skinning him.  They are so insulated they can hold the heat in for days.  Skin them as soon as possible and bag the meat. We use bed sheets sewn into bags.  They are much stronger than the over the counter meat bags.  Just picture on oversize pillow case.  

Spend the money and buy some "windstopper" clothing.  Cabelas has it and it works great.  Layer your clothing and dont be hesitant to buy GOOD clothing for the hunt.  You will be glad you did.

During one of my moose hunts it was 70° during the day and by 3 pm the temp was 15° with 20 mph winds.  I was glad to have the winstopper gear.  4 mile hike back to camp was tuff, but I was warm!

Good luck!

Kirk

Kirk_Allen

You will need a "Veterinary Services Special Permit for the Importation of Hunter-Harvested Wild Ruminant Meat", along with one of the following:

A valid Canadian Export certificate for game meat or a copy of a valid hunting license or a valid hunting tag.  The permit can be obtained by calling the APHIS National Center for Import and Export at (301) 734-3277.  It can also be downloaded from the NAHC web site, www.huntingclub.com, by clicking the "Featured Links" icon, then visiting the News Update section.

Happy hunting!

pappy

Sawyerfortyish,

Yup Baie Comeau

Check for reservation for the Saint Lawrence River fairy crossing and about bringing your guns into Canada.

Items you might want to have in the pickup -- snap rope/tow rope, two spares, snow shovel, 12 volt air pump. I highly recommend a FWD with studded snow tires on all wheels.  You mentioned tire chains make sure you have good chain tighteners.
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

Timber_Framer

I agree with Kirk
"Be prepared for long shots.  Practice, Practice, Practice, and then practice some more."
 Especially seeing as how you are unaccustomed to long shots, and as nuts as it sounds the more miserable days are those you should be practicing in. A 15mph crosswind in near freezing temps has quite an effect on trajectory. You'd hate to mess up the hunt of a lifetime by botching a shot. That and one sure fire way to upset a guide is to make him track a wounded animal all day.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Sawyerfortyish

Everyone thats been around here has told me they had close short shots. But thats also in Newfoundland ( the island). That bring another question to mind. Is Labrador a providence by itself or part of Newfoundland?.My map book showes it as one.
 Termite I will be crossing the Saint Lawrance at Quebec city I would think there would be a bridge there instead of a ferry. I already have all the paper work in tripplelicate for the guns.The guide told me don't sighn anything untill we get to customs. I'm making a list of questions i need to ask the guide. One is about bringing the meat back in the US.
 4 weeks left before I leave and things are getting crazy. Got to finish a logging job and keep up on sawmill work. The firewood poeple are driving me nuts .Get tires on the truck and get it serviced. Figure out what I need for clothing do all the paperwork and on and on. Well lunch breaks over got to go.

beenthere

In addition to trajectory and wind, consider the movement of the animal across the line of fire. I had a hunting partner (passed on now  :( ) who calculated the point of impact on a walking deer at 100 yards (he was a circle sawyer, and he calculated EVERYTHING!). Even with the rifle bullet speeds, the impact was 6" behind the aiming point. I was quite surprised, but it sure explained a few gut shots that I thought were heart shots at 100 yards. A running deer at 100 yards the aim point has to be right at the tip of the deers nose, if I recall correctly. Now, a moving caribou at 300 yards, is pretty safe if one doesn't know how many caribou lengths out in front one needs to aim.
Sure sounds like a fun trip. Guided?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

HI Sawyerfortish:

Newfoundland and Labrador are one province , but separated by the Strait of Belle Isle. When you reach Labrador the time zone swithes from Atlantic to Newfoundland time which is 2 hours ahead of eastern time zone. But, in lower Quebec where you cross from the US your still in eastern time. I'm not sure where the division for Atlantic Time is, unless its east of Baie Comeau. You will probably follow route 138 east once you cross the St Lawrence in Quebec city. You will have to take a small ferry across Baie Ste Catherine to Tadoussac on the other shore. Its a 4 hour drive (200 miles) from Quebec city to Forestville. At that point your at a junction between route 385 North or continue on route 138 east. Continue on to Baie Comeau on route 138 and from there hit route 389 north to Labardor City. Which is on the border with the Province of Quebec. Your AAA agent should provide you with a 'Map of Northeastern states and Provinces' as well as 'Map of Northern Quebec and Labrador'. The Trans-Labrador highway is route 500 from Labrador City to Happy Valley. From Labrador City you can travel north to Schefferville as well which is near the caribou migration routes. There are commercial airline flights into Labrador City as well as charters.

Weather and terrain conditions of the region

Climate of Labrador -Environment Canada - Click

The seasons-Link

Map-Click

Maps online aren't that detailed unless you have a fast connection to a map server, for which you will pay. Here in New Brunswick I can access a very detailed map if I have a high speed connection and an account with Sercice New Brunswick. There is detail enough to identify properties and owners and if I want an aerial photo I can order one for $10.00 plus tax. But, that doesn't help you out in Labrador. ;)

cheers, and happy hunting :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sawyerfortyish

Hey Termite how can I find out about that ferry crossing? Do you have to make reservations? What kind of schedule do they have?

SwampDonkey

Sawyer_Fortish

Are you going up to Quebec through Vermont? or up through Maine? I'de go up route 91 in Vermont and cross at Rock Island and take route 55 to Sherbrooke and then up to Drummondville. Then head east on route 20 to Quebec City and cross the river by bridge. Then head east to Route 138. The only ferry would be at Baie Ste Catherines. Then onward to Baie Camaeu as posted above. The ferry across Baie Ste Catherines is about 1 mile and its free year round service.

Quebec Ferry Info-CLICK
There is a box along the left with the ferry routes, just click there for  Matane-Baie Comeau if you wish. They have phone number.

It would be a better road if you stay on the south shore and continue from Drummondville and go east on route 20 to Riviere De Loup and go east on route 132 to Matane. There is a ferry from Matane to Baie Comaeu, which is about 40 miles (2 h-20 min) and can be rough water this time of year. Its 225 miles from Quebec to Matane (on the Gaspe Penn). Personally, I'de prefer the Route along the north shore from Quebec City, but its getting late in the year and snow is in the air already in northern New Brunswick. Baie Comaeu is a mill town, my uncle helped build the mill, he and his brother as well as a few other locals worked up there in the 60's. They used to fly in at that time, which as also possible from Mont-Joli airport. Plane/Train/Ferry service Link

I know you need a vehicle to get to Labrador but here's a daily flight from Mont-Joli to Baie Comeau.
Pascan Aviation Flight Info-CLICK

Hotel in Matane - CLICK

Take some extra gas jugs along up there, as I'm not sure how far it is between filling stations. ;)

cheers

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sawyerfortyish

Swampdonkey I'll be staying at my dads cabin near ST Jonsbury VT. It's about 45 mins to Canada up 91 from there. My plan is to get on 55 then 20 cross at Quebec city and take 138 to Baie Ste Catherine. Thats the ferry I need to know about. I'll try the link you just gave me and see if I can find it. Thanks. :)

Sawyerfortyish

Wouldn't you know I thought I would never need to know french so I goofed off in class. Now i'm in trouble!!

SwampDonkey

The ferry service there is year round and only 1 mile each way, I wouldn't get too concerned cause you probably wouldn't wait long. ;)

pappy

Sawyerfortyish,
How did you make out??  Got pics??

Or did you freeze your tail of and never made it back  :o

SwampDonkey

Termite:

I thinks we gotta hire a dog team and go find Sawyer. The polar bears got him a thinks. I ain't seen hide nor hair of'm in weeks on the Forum.  :-/  ::)

pappy

SD,
Sawyerfortyish sent me a IM and said he's been very busy like working and deer hunting  ;D.

He said he'll do a post about the hunt when he gets the time.  Also said he'd go back up there in a heart beat.

So we know he's safe, and we're waiting for  "the rest of the story"  ;)

SwampDonkey

Well, not that anyone has to check with the folks of the forum , but these guys that go on those trips into the unknown should give the rest of us a haller when they return. I'm sure Sawyer was in touch with his folks at all times and they was glad to see him return but.....I had an uncle who'de never tell no one where he was off to and the last trip he done that he got marooned for 4 days and no food or water. All the loggers were gone home for the weekends so no one had a radio to call out. ::)

I'm glad ya had a good time Sawyerfortish. I'm sure the folks up there were real hospitable and friendly. :)

cheers

Sawyerfortyish

Ok  guys I should have made the time to get back here. What a trip and adventure! I guess i need to start at the beginning. The trip to mom and Dads cabin in VT was the easy part. We got our paperwork for the guns to cross the border ready that night. Next day went through customs. They never checked a gun or a number just took our word and our paperwork. After 911 I thought they would be more careful to look at things. Anyway off we went headed for Baie-Comeau Crossed the St Lawrence at Quebec city and then the ferry at Baie Ste catherine. Pretty cool never been on a ferry. Made it to Baie- Comeau and got a motel. The motel owner spoke a little english and told us where to go to eat We went in to a restraunt where nobody spoke english. That was an experience in itself. I'm glad they had a menu in english otherwise I would still be there. Next day we found Rt 389 and now I know why I was told not to drive it at night. It's mostly a dirt road that takes 11 hours to drive from Baie comeau to labrador city with nothing but woods and water and more woods in the middle. If you break down your in trouble cell phones don't work here. We made it to the hunting camp about 9:00 at night. The camp was warm there were 6 other hunters and 4 guides. It seemed like I just got to sleep when it was time to get up. Oh and let me say I was told before I left N.J. that I was going to freeze my @ss off well it was about 15 below and the outhouse was 100' from the cabin And when you lifted the piece of foam that coverd the seat there was about a half inch of frost :o. So yes I did freeze my @ss off. First day out we drove about 25 miles before turning on to a service road for a reservoir. We put it in 4 wheel. It took 7hrs to drive next 96 miles. There were fresh caribou tracks everywhere but we only seen 10 big bulls that had already lost there horns. I drove this far i'm taking home some horns so we kept looking. It was starting to get late so we headed out. Hit the main road 7hrs later and made it to the only gas station for 200 miles. Filled it up now i always complained about the gas prices at home but never again. Those people are gettin it up the you know what every time. 1.02 a litre  :o136.00 to fill up my pickup >:( and 131 the next day. Any way the next day we loaded a snowmobile on and went up that same insane road. It was mid afternoon we decided to unload the snowmobile and take a look across a small pond through some meadows. After about 5 miles out we came across a small herd but couldn't get close enough fast enough to see anything. We decided to go back past the truck the other way and get out on the reservoir. We did and about 4 miles out we ran into a big herd crossing the ice and I got my first caribou it was a long shot about 400yrds. The guide went back to the truck for my buddy Bob to see if he could find him a caribou. On the way back to where I was they ran into a heard crossing the ice and Bob was able to get a long shot at them and got two. It's funny how he was less than a mile away and I never heard the sound of the gun shots  the open space just kind of mutes the sound. We drug my caribou over by Bobs with the snowmobile. As we were gutting Bobs two more caribou walked out on the ice about a mile and a half away one had a real nice rack. I decided to try to get a shot at it. So I worked my way along the edge of the reservoir for about a 1/2 mile to a point where a meadow ran down to the water and I layed down behind a stump and waited. After only a few minutes they were in front of me. I shot and got the bigger one of the two. Now the fun began. It's getting dark we have 4 caribou and were 4 miles or so from the truck. So the guide hooked two caribou on the snowmobile and him and Bob got on and headed for the truck. Then he came back and got me and the last two caribou. We loaded the snowmobile and then the 4 caribou on top in my pickup and headed back for the cabin. On the way out we ran into the rest of the crew from the cabin everyone tagged out. 100% success. What a  memorable and exciting hunt I would go back in a heartbeat!!

SwampDonkey

I'm glad you guys had good hunting and I figured the roads up there where not the best in the world. You'll find they are better with snow on them, then without. What was the camp like? Were there any Inuit guides or all Newfies? What resevoir where you on? or was it a lake? You would have been there right at the peek of gas prices, it was $0.92 here. Its mostly taxation by the way, as you probably know anyway. Ferry rides are pretty neet if the water isn't too rough. I've been on a few in the Maritimes and in BC. Was there a far amount of traffic to Baie St Catherines Ferry? Maybe next time time you can try the Ferry from Matane (east of Riviere de Loupe) to Baie Comeau. :)

Thank You Sponsors!