iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carrying fresh chains

Started by DaleK, January 26, 2016, 04:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaleK

Anybody got a good, cheap way to carry fresh chains without getting them dirty and tangled? I usually carry6-8 and sharpen them all at home
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Magicman

Individual "Tupperware" sandwich boxes.  Mine are not actually Tupperware because they came from the Dollar Tree.  The lids snap on and lock.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DaleK

I'm not allowed near Tupperware of any kind. Long, sordid story better left untold but involving drilling through Tupperware to get soil samples in frozen ground. Good idea though
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110

brendonv

I spin my own and they come with cardboard boxes. The stihl boxes fit perfectly inside ammo boxes. I have multiples of each pre spin, pre boxed behind the seat of the truck. You can store tools, files, etc on top.  Cheap, waterproof toolboxes.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

DaleK

I use one of the Plano shot-shell boxes they sell for ammo for waterfowl hunting for tools, think it cost me $14, waterproof and it floats.
Might use the smaller plastic peanut butter jars, bonus is the lids screw on. Now to find my wife's peach jam
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110

beenthere

If you can't do tupperware, then go to the dollar store and get the kind MM suggests... for the answer to your OP question. ;)
Better than the ammo box which must leave them tangled and dirty...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dustyhat

You might not even find them now days , i guess there old school , but my gun racks in the back window always worked out good.

DaleK

Son of a ... wife came home ten minutes ago with a huge bag of flubberware her girlfriend is replacing because it "doesn't match the new kitchen decor" and gave me free pickings without even knowing I was looking. I love coincidences
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110

deerslayer

I carry chains in old socks marked with a sharpie as to what it's for. I also use sections of blue jean legs for the same purpose. I rarely change chains away from the shop. (I carry multiple saws and just switch saws if I rock a chain.)
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

mrselfreliance

I find empty toilet paper rolls work good.  Then I sharpi what the chain is for on it.

John Mc

I ran into a volunteer firefighter who used sections of old worn-out fire hose to store spare chains in. Seems like a bit of overkill to me, but it did certainly protect the chain.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

The trick is the best way to protect sharpened chain is protecting the cutters from each other and from the rest of the chain.
I store my freshly filed spare loops sandwiched  between layers of bubble wrap stored in a old brief case which I keep in my truck.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

kantuckid

Quote from: DaleK on January 26, 2016, 04:52:57 PM
I use one of the Plano shot-shell boxes they sell for ammo for waterfowl hunting for tools, think it cost me $14, waterproof and it floats.
Might use the smaller plastic peanut butter jars, bonus is the lids screw on. Now to find my wife's peach jam
I like this idea of a PB jar. My wife run's thru JIF like crazy and I could probably get the smaller jars she buys into toolbox behind seat(has lid but damp area) on tractor too. I'd spray oil them down and would be an improvement over the chain in a box and it rusts thing I'm guilty of now. Thanks!  :D

P.S. For the record I burned my briefcase back around 2001... 8)
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

HolmenTree

I still carry a briefcase for all my tree service stuff....invoices,  estimates, proof of insurance, diary....files, scrench,  :D
My worn out first briefcase is now my "chain case" :)

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

DaveinNH

Individual heavy quart zip lock freezer bags, 1 per chain. They last a surprisingly long time, are cheap and you can label which saw they are for.
Wood-Mizer LT40HD26     Polaris 6x6 Big Boss
Ariens 34 Ton Splitter       Stihl 460, 261, 70

kantuckid

Quote from: DaveinNH on January 30, 2016, 01:35:15 PM
Individual heavy quart zip lock freezer bags, 1 per chain. They last a surprisingly long time, are cheap and you can label which saw they are for.
I tried that one (tractor tool box-is OE part of the tractor) and a chain easily cuts them open then the holes allow humidity and it becomes a rust pouch.
I'm still on the PB jar page. :D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

terrifictimbersllc

I bunch each one up and just put many of them like this into an ammo box.  I've also done the same but having them in a 1qt heavier freezer bag.  That's a bit better.  I don't see them cutting up the bags. 

Either way I carry them in an ammo box in the back seat of my truck.  Never had a rust problem ever. I think it's much drier in the truck cab than outside.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SLawyer Dave

I use whatever small cardboard boxes that come out of the kitchen.  Like the small rice, dried soup, mac&cheese, etc. boxes.  Its not fancy, but they protect the chains and fit easily into my tool box where I carry my chainsaw supplies and tools.  When I take a chain off, then I coil that in the end of the tool box, signalling that I need to sharpen it.  Then after sharpening, I put it back into a box.  It's simple, free and works for me. 

ksu_chainsaw

I also use the plastic containers from the dollar tree.  I put a red shop rag in first, coil up the chain, then wrap it up in the red rag. I also put a liberal coating of WD-40 in there. I then write the chain size on the lid with a sharpie. That way I can grab the correct size chain and put it into the saw box on my way out the door. I also get a rag to wipe down the saw with when I swap the chain. I put the dull chain back into the container without the rag so I know which one needs sharpened.

CTYank

Two chains of most types I run fit nicely in a cold-cuts container, once the ham/chicken/turkey have been put to use.  Small plastic tubs potato/macaroni salad come in work great too; they're even tougher than the cold-cuts ones, just a bit taller & bulkier. Both work pretty well for keeping steel dry.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

rick carpenter

So let me back this up a step if y'all don't mind. When rotating chains, how are you cleaning them up before you sharpen and store them? And then I saw that Kantuckid is gonna spray oil his and KSU_chainsaw uses WD-40. I just bought my second chain so maybe it needs to live somewhere else besides a box in the box.
Suburban Redneck raised up in the Deep South!

John Mc

IF I buy a loop, my new chains live in the box they came in until they use them. I do not oild them or do anything special.

I tend to sharpen on the saw, so the chain stays there until it's worn out or something else happens. I don;t do any oiling or anything else special unless I got it wet (e.g. set it down in the snow or it got rained on).

When I do remove a chain that still has life, it generally gets stored in a ziplock with the pitch and bar size written on the bag. I generally don't oil it unless I have some reason to (it got wet or I had to clean something off of it that removed any residual bar oil). I've not had any problems with rusting, but I've got a good dry place to store them, and I typically don't store used chains for years. If I did, Id probably put a little something on them (though I don;t find WD40 to be a particularly good thing for storage. Fluid Film seems to hold up better, or even B&C oil)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

I follow pretty close to the 'John Mc' plan.. but have two chains in rotation. Sharpen on the saw, and store in the box they come in... with the date marked on the box when changed out. At the same time, the bar is flipped over with the idea that there is more even wear. Residual bar oil is the only oil on the chain.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rick carpenter

So how are y'all cleaning the chains if they went through some dirty wood/dirt/etc?
Suburban Redneck raised up in the Deep South!

beenthere

Not sure what dirty wood is, but if you mean dirt on the wood or dipping the chain in the dirt/ground ... that is time to just sharpen that chain. Dirt won't stay on the chain.. it flings off quickly.   No special "cleaning" is needed, as I see it.
Maybe you have something else in mind.
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!