iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cord replacement on Stihl Elastostart

Started by MrTwig, January 26, 2016, 04:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTwig

I had such a helluva time doing this, I felt I had to share my solution with someone :laugh:
The elastostart assembly has a spring loaded plastic tube inside the pull-handle.
The problem was, how to thread a 3,5mm rope through a 3,5mm plastic tube.
I tried pushing it, but even after burning the end of the rope and molding it to a sharp edge, I could only get it ca 5 mm into the 50 mm long tube.
I tried the electricians method of pulling it through using a thinner thread, but it didn't get any farther before the thinner rope snapped.
Then i tried widening the hole diameter by drilling it to 4mm, but the plastic was too soft, so the drill bit just slid through somehow.
Then I tried to replicate a method of assistied childbirth I saw on TV once, where they put a fishnet sock over the kids head, and pull on it. The sock, working like a Chinese finger-trap, will contract when stretched, and thus hug the head / rope, while compressing it.
I rummaged through my computer repair stuff, and found a suitable item, meant for bunching up cables in a decorative way.
I shoved the rope into the sock, put the plastic tube on one side of my vice, and pulled on the sock on the other side. I got it half way through that time, which was encouraging, but I had to wind the sock around my wrist to get a strong grip, which made it cut into my wrist, hurting me badly.
Then I sprayed the parts with lithium grease, put on a thick glove, and pulled harder.
Hey presto! $5 saved  ;D

I honestly don't know how Stihl expects people to be able to do this. I think maybe they just found a way to make people pay for a whole new elastostart assembly, rather than just replace the rope themselves.
The dealer was kind enough to advice me against going for elastostart for this very reason. She said I would have a hard time replacing the rope, and she sure wasn't kidding.
Still, I love gadgets, and challenges. ;D

Here are some pictures taken afterwards, and one of my cat, who insisted that both sock and rope were cat toys.

Oh, btw, this is a Stihl KM85R with the pole pruner attachment. I bought it cheap from someone who had left it out to rust. It seemed seized, but the engine turned out to be good as new. The cylinder still has a mirror shine.

Texas-Jim

Just drop down a size in rope, stihl has three sizes.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

MrTwig

MrTwig

I measured the original rope, and it was the same, so I got the correct size.

Caloren

Another Norwegian heard from! Welcome to the forum, Mr. Twig.  8) Been to Norway 4 or 5 times, visiting my wife's relatives. Love the country and the people!

Loren
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

Thank You Sponsors!