iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

splitting a log the hard way

Started by MattJ, January 26, 2016, 10:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattJ

Back a while ago I moved a half dozen white and red oak logs from a neighbors that they gave me.  Most were around 30" in diameter with a few smaller.  They were too big to saw on my mill so I knew I needed to split them and then I wanted to quarter saw them.

Its been a year and this weekend we lost power in the ice storms and I couldn't do woodworking so I gave it a shot.

I started with using a granberg mini mill to cut a starting kerf.  See the framing hammer for an idea of the scale.  My chainsaw is a smaller Stihl (MS251) so I just cut about 8" down so I wouldn't kill the thing.  Once I had a kerf I pulled out the metal wedges and cut up some wooden gluts and started hammering away with the sledge hammer.  Man that was a workout!

The metals wedges and gluts went in relatively easy, but the problem I faced was strands of oak keeping the log together.  I had to cut those away from time to time as it opened with the axe or chainsaw.  At the end it was still held together at the bottom so I rolled the log with the logrite and knocked a few wedges in to finish it off.  Next step will be to rip a flat edge along one side so I can stand it up on the mill and saw it.

Maybe an hour, hour and a half project overall.   Probably can do the next log faster with some lessons learned.  I also didn't have ripping chain in my chainsaw so I now have some on the way for the next time.

@scsmith42 probably not the fastest way to quarter compared to seeing your operation!

Ugly Tree

That's work!!  I've come across some big ones and this never crossed my mind.  At least now I know.
Woodland HM126, Massey Ferguson 3165, 440 and 210 Stihl, a lot of grunt bars.

tburch

Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

fishfighter

Did that with a couple SYP logs. A lot of work and yep, it took about an hour each.

Deese

Quote from: fishfighter on January 26, 2016, 11:38:19 AM
Did that with a couple SYP logs. A lot of work and yep, it took about an hour each.

Fishfighter, that is a NICE syp log. Do you have any pics of the quartersawn lumber showing the grain?
Cooks AE4P Edger

fishfighter

No, sawed it all up in 2x4's got over 50 out of it. ;D I have three more like it just sitting and if the rain stops, one of these days I will do them.

Deese

Cooks AE4P Edger

drobertson

Looks good to me, lots of beating I reckon, but it's in two pieces now!  soon to be more,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Kbeitz

A little black powder will speed up your process.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

MattJ

I can also say if you have trouble falling asleep you won't after splitting a tree by this method!

MattJ

I have blackpowder, but also neighbors, which a few are Raleigh police that might take me for a ride if I tried it  :D

Kbeitz

I'm not sure that it would be illegal...

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Black_Powder_Log_Splitting.html

And I found this nessage on google. All new to me...

Dad has a couple old powder-driven wedges (not sure what else to call them). Have a big heavy steel wedge on the end, and a hollow tube in the back to fill with black powder. He's never used them that I know of, but he said the old guy he got them from used them all the time. You'd just drive them into the wood so far, then fill the tube with powder, and light the fuse.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

cuznguido

Next time roll it over and saw another slit opposite the first one and then hit it with the wedges.

sandsawmill14

i have a bigger saw but still have to wedge open some of the bigger ones 

this is a 40"+ gum log we split  i saw down the top with a 28" bar then cut down both ends but it still takes alot of hammering  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

WV Sawmiller

Bigger than I have split that way but I split a lot of 12-15 inch black locust that way year before last. I'd saw a groove2-3 inches deep as a guide then split with steel wedges. They split pretty straight that way. I split a 40+" white oak 8'6" long a few months back with just my Sthil 441 and 24" (Sthil calls it 25 but everyone else calls it a 24" 84 tooth) chain. It did not take 30 minutes with a good sharp chain. Seems like it took only one tank of gas.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

samandothers

Nicely done!

Hope your power was not out long, I think woodworking would be a lot easier.

MattJ

Thanks, the power came back just in time for the shower I needed after splitting it.  A guaranteed way to get power back on from my experience is to dig the generator out of the shed, fix it if needed, fuel it and get it running.  I've always had power restored within two hours of doing this!

Thank You Sponsors!