iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Common Sense Ain't that Common

Started by doctorb, January 26, 2016, 07:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

For days, the Mid-Atlantic knew this huge storm was coming.  I was ready.  Plenty of wood under cover with my stove.  You know....overcome the hardship.

So, the snow was hip deep between my house and the shed.  The trip is about 100 yards.  The storm started Friday, and the Friday evening trip was fine.  Saturday morning, what a tough slog.  Went Satruday afternoon and again Saturday night.  Snow deepening each trip, high winds, big drifts.  Here's what my barn looked like at 2:30 PM on Saturday.

I have to walk around the corner of my barn where that huge drift is to get to my OWB!

Anyway, Sunday, my snowblower cut a path for about 75% of the trip, making it much easier.  BTW, that drift got even higher as the snow really pounded us Saturday afternoon and evening.

MORAL OF THE STORY

I would shut down my OWB and burn oil for a few days rather than have to go through that again.  Saving a little $ and enjoying the process of woodburning is one thing.  Losing you mind or maybe your life in the snow is another!  Lesson learned.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Roxie

Are you talking to Doctorb or Raider Bill?   :)

Doctorb, there were many times during that storm that I wished the plow operators weren't out there either.  There were periods of zero visibility.  I know this because I was looking out the sliding door and couldn't see the chair on the deck that was two feet in front of me.

Unfortunately, during a period when visibility permitted me to see to my tree line, I watched in horror as a squirrel was knocked out of a tree and then lifted into the air and slammed repeatedly to the ground.  It must have broken his neck or back because I saw his little lifeless body blown into a drift by the grapevine. 

Not fit for man or beast comes to mind. 
Say when

doctorb

Roxie-

Even during the times when the visibility improved some, I couldn't see the furniture on my deck either.  It was completely covered in snow!   ;D

I would opine that that storm was the most dangerous winter storm I have ever experienced.  There were two issues that really saved us, however.  1)  The temps here were colder than expected, so the snow was lighter / drier than expected, and didn't pile up on tree limbs.  2)  The wind, while high, was not at the sustained 40 mph levels that were forecast.  Those two factors meant relatively few people lost power.   

Once it's over, I kinda enjoy the snow.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

r.man

Doc lots of places in the country used to run ropes between buildings because it wasn't safe to travel without them. Around here the plows stay off the road until conditions are better. Two years ago a four lane highway in southern Ontario had stranded motorists on it for days. They moved some to local towns and others had supplies brought to their cars by snowmobile until they could be rescued or plowed out.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

sawguy21

Raider Bill, you think you are up to it? :D doctorb, I have seen snow when I lived in Alberta but nothing like that for a long time.  :o You have some serious clearing ahead of you.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Raider Bill

The worst thing about it for me was I had just sprayed my yard with atrazine but forgot to turn off my sprinkler system so it all got washed away and my fireplace ran out of propane late Sunday during the game.     

I did manage to grill a steak outside but had to wear a long sleeve t-shirt and socks.

petefrom bearswamp

Florida living in the winter is really tough but some of us have to do it.
Spent the day today with a friend on the Crystal River trying for some Reds or Trout no luck and it was very trying.
Cocktails on the lanai this evening, another spate of tough duty.
Seriously tho, I don't envy you folks up there at all, and be careful shoveling and driving..
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Raider Bill

At least they don't need one of those $29.00 Yeti can coolers. :D

stumper

Here in Maine we occasionally pull the plows off the highway.  Generally when the snow is coming down between 2 and 3 inches per hours, it is time to get off the road.  3 feet of snow is significant here and we have the equipment to deal with it.  Drifting snow can be a big deal.  We have been know to plow the field beside a road to capture the snow before it drifts in the road. 

At least you folks down south will get some melting to settle the snow and limit the future drifting.

lopet

Shutting down a OWB in January isn't that easy, unless you're running anti freeze in it.  When I bought mine, the manufacture did not recommend it.

x2 on the rope thingy,  if it gets that ugly.     A lot saver.

The " snow birds " up my way are all whining that they can't go south this year, because they have to pay a buck forty for a US $.   That should leave you guys a lot more room to play.    Enjoy !
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

doctorb

lopet -

I see you're from Ontario, so your temps are much colder than mine.  I would refer you to this previous thread regarding winter shutdown of my OWB.  Lots of good comments and thoughts on the subject.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,80986.0.html

As it turns out, if you keep the water circulating, the chance of freezing in the OWB is very, very small, even without adding some heat back to the OWB system through the heat exchanger.  Antifreeze is not needed and can be detrimental.  There are a few threads on that topic too.  Use the "search" option to find them.

lopet

Thanks  doc, musta missed that one . ;D

Last winter we had lost hydro three times, not for long, but long enough to have water trouble, if i wouldn't had a generator.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

SwampDonkey

When you have to use planking over the top of those paths to the OWB and front door of the house, then you have something to complain about. :D

Looks nasty, that's a bigger storm than most we ever see in my area. Once in awhile we get 18" 20" from a storm, but not very often. This year there isn't much snow at all up here. Rarely have I seen a large storm more than 24 hrs long. The wind might blow for 3 days afterward, but hey.

Always with a helping laugh.  ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

I have to go outside to check on the all the farm animals no matter the weather so I just fill the OWB at the same time. Been out there plenty of times lost between my house, OWB, and barn all of which aren't more than a few hundred feet apart  :D. Just keep walking until I hit a landmark and find my way in from there. 

gspren

Temporarily shutting down is easy IF the other end is a gas or oil fired boiler. The first several years I never let the fire go out but in 2014 we bought a place in S. DE and we go there at least once a month for a few days all winter. After trying a few things I now load the stove (conventional OWB) a few hours before we leave so the wood gets good and hot then when we leave I just throw the switch to the air blower off and using a long handled pitch fork put a metal bucket on the stack, when we get home I remove the bucket, put a corn cob soaked in diesel in with the still warm wood, light it and after a few minutes with the door opened turn the blower back on. Doesn't use as much oil as I thought it would and takes less time than it took to type this.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Hilltop366

You just need a service tunnel to your boiler.

Those stormy days are the ones where I don't mind having an indoor wood boiler and a few days worth of wood inside.

thecfarm

That looks bad.   :o  Been only a few storms that I did not want to go out to the OWB. But I would not want to go back to burning wood inside the house again. I am VERY happy with my unit. I wished I would of got it sooner.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

Thanks for the similar experiences, especially Raider Bill's. :D

I have no trouble going out in bad weather, but the depth of this drifting snow is what made it hard to make headway.  I kept saying, "OK.  Smaller steps.  Left, right, repeat."

JJ

I would just put on my snow shoes and each trip becomes easier.

JJ

drobertson

Saving this thread back for the record,, wife want to build a shed out back for the fire wood, my argument is just what you described, the worse case scenario, but then again we burn propane at times as well, so I may build the shed.  We don't get that much snow in these parts, but I do like the idea of snow shoes, they have to help even with less amounts.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Corley5

Come on guys it's just a little snow  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Raider Bill

Quote from: Corley5 on January 28, 2016, 10:43:42 AM
Come on guys it's just a little snow  ;) ;D

What do you know about snow? :D

elk42

You can have that DanG snow and cold I don't go out to saw until it gets 40°F and rising...... :snowman: :rifle:
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

doctorb

gspren-

I have got to ask......what is the purpose of the metal bucket?  I must be daft.

thecfarm

I betcha to keep the rain water out. I left mine OWB first of May for a week. I filled it up as gspren did and turned the switch on for the blowers,so they would not come on. BUT no bucket over the stack.Thought I was mighty smart. We had a real bad shower well I was gone. I have a clean out for the stack at the back of the OWB. The water came into the stack and made the whole inside of the OWB black. I was some upset when I opened the back and saw that. What a mess. It has not done any damage,but everything is black.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stratford 50

When it comes to weather try this on for size, My friend is 91years young and in 1930 walked to school @ -50 F to find out that school was closed. In the 1940s he witnessed a Thanksgiving snowstorm that dumped 45 inches in 2-3 days and it took 5 days to get the road cleared, Mother nature can be a force to be reckoned with.   

gspren

Quote from: doctorb on January 28, 2016, 02:03:01 PM
gspren-

I have got to ask......what is the purpose of the metal bucket?  I must be daft.
Plastic might melt  :D Aside from the already mentioned rain/snow/birds, it helps keep some of the heat in. One of the old galvanized minnow buckets, it has straight sides and just enough clearance for one tong on an old two prong pitch fork. I even thought about gluing a piece of cement board in the bottom of the bucket for insulation but haven't.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

petefrom bearswamp

I always cover the stack on my OWB after getting 2" of water in the firebox back in the autumn of2005
Off subject, but Raider Bill I saw a 200 qt Yeti cooler yesterday at Rural King, $795.00.
Who in the world spends that kind of dough on a cooler?
Maybe power ball winners.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

doctorb

I have a cap on my chimney with the spark guard removed.  I'm sure a small amount of rain moisture can get down the stack, but I've never seen any water in my stove when it's shut down.  I cover it after winter shutdown until startup in the fall.

Thank You Sponsors!