iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small approved fuel mix containers

Started by rick carpenter, January 26, 2016, 01:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick carpenter

What options do I have for squeeze ketchup bottle size approved containers for fuel mix? I like the idea of a spout already on it but the small size is what I want most to help avoid spilling as much as possible when I fill my saw out in the field (I currently only have a 1 gal container of motomix).

It's a total noob question, but I did the search... maybe I don't know the right terms.
Suburban Redneck raised up in the Deep South!

beenthere

You can get the pre-mixed fuel in 32 oz containers with screw-on/off cap.
2-cycle fuel pre-mixed

Other than that, I like the No-Spill 1 gal can that has an easy spout with a push-button release.
Such as this gallon No-Spill can
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stuart Caruk

I just started using the no spill tank above. Works greats for my chainsaws and leaf blowers in the 1 gallon size. It's actually the first spillproof tank that I haven't wanted to drop a match into... I generally get way more fule on the ground with a spillproof system than the good old gas cans from years ago.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Stuart Caruk on January 26, 2016, 02:17:21 AM
I generally get way more fule on the ground with a spillproof system than the good old gas cans from years ago.
Truer words were never spoken.

old guy

John Mc

Ditto on the 1 gal no-spill recommendation.  If you don;t want to carry the full gallon, the pre-mix gas that Beenthere mentioned in the one quart containers may work well for you. It's expensive, but you only need to buy it once. They are pretty sturdy cans, so you can just refill them from a larger can if you want.  I usually do this for the weed-whacker my wife uses. She doesn't use it often enough to use up a gallon can before it goes stale. If I let her use my chainsaw mix, then I can never find it when I need it. So she gets her own 1 qt can.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

clearcut

Eagle makes, in the USA,  a 1 quart (UI-4-S) and 2 quart (UI-4-S) metal safety can.

Has an optional attachable funnel.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

rick carpenter

Quote from: beenthere on January 26, 2016, 02:14:39 AM
You can get the pre-mixed fuel in 32 oz containers with screw-on/off cap.
2-cycle fuel pre-mixed

Didn't think about those! Stihl has them too so I'm sure my local dealer will have one or the other in stock. I think either neck would give me a minimum spill pour. I was hoping to find smaller to stuff with other junk in a milk crate but these look like they'll do.

The Europeans have all kind of little plastic Stihl Motomix containers, some looking like a "1 liter Coke". Coleman fuel comes in a 32 oz "1 liter Coke" container but the gas+oil might not be compatible.  Thanks y'all.

OldJack

This isn't much help to Eastern Canadians or Americans, but the 1 liter (approx. 1 Us quart) Aspen 2 jugs are the best. They have a curved bottom and slip into my coverall pocket much easily than the rolled bottom of a Stihl pre-mix jug. I especially like it for grass trimming ditches where I empty the tank a long way from where I started.  Both my Dolmar and Stihl-John Deere dealers stock it.

John Mc

I had forgotten about those MSR fuel bottles, North River Energy... and I even own several of them. If the pour out of their spout is not targeted enough, the cap also has a hole drilled in the threads partway down. You can unscrew the cap partway, and pour a small stream out the hole. It's a bit on the slow side, but makes a small stream of fuel that is easy to control.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

kantuckid

Some motorcycle riders use MSR and there are other brands of plastic made to carry on ATV's & MC's. In Mexico when you buy "jug gas" in the boonies they all use antifreeze jugs to measure and pour your gas thru a funnel which is most often, also contrived.
I have hiking trails in our woods and I run a trimmer there now & then-
I carry gas mix in a QT oil bottle tied with baler string to the btl. neck and my waist as I walk through the woods tearing up those briars.  ;) they seem to not mind the ethanol,etc.. Not so sure I like the idea of them in my MC luggage.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

rick carpenter

I ended up getting two 20 oz MSR fuel bottles for $6.98 each at Academy today. I had to rethink buying 32 oz more of premix just for the Stihl or Husky container as I already have the 1 gal can of premix, plus the MSRs are designed for re-use.

rick carpenter

My two 20 oz MSR fuel bottles have held up fine. I filled them with motomix after I got them earlier this year and stored them at the recommended level and upright. On Friday I dumped the fuel that had been in my MS170 and filled it from the bottle. They kept the fuel fresh enough that my little saw fired up right away after maybe 2+ months of setting on the shelf. Before taking my saw and kit out yesterday, I set the bottles over on their sides all Friday night and no fuel leaked out.

Al_Smith

It certainly is not so called "approved"  but I used to use anti freeze bottles .All the sudden my weed wacker stopped running .I grabbed another and finish my job .A few days later I smelled gasoline when I dumped anti freeze into my old Ford truck .Oops,got the jugs mixed up . :D

HolmenTree

Logging back in the 1970's cutting road I used to carry these Esso 1 quart mix bottles filled with mixed gas. I'd hang it on my belt with a snap tied to those handy built in holes. Other times I'd tie 2 of them together with a 2 foot long piece of rope and keep bar oil in the 2nd bottle.
Don't see them around anymore.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

luvmexfood

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 07, 2016, 11:45:19 AM
Logging back in the 1970's cutting road I used to carry these Esso 1 quart mix bottles filled with mixed gas. I'd hang it on my belt with a snap tied to those handy built in holes.
Don't see them around anymore.

Another example of how good things were in the good ole days. Clorox came in a plastic jug with a metal lid. As a kid and as long as they were around never knew there was such a thing as a store bought gas can.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

TimRB

I use one of the aluminum water bottles you can get at outdoor/sporting goods stores.

Edit:  Oh, wait--you said "approved".  Nevermind.

Tim

barton174

I've got a couple of those 24oz MSR fuel canisters that I've used for years, but I've also started re-using the premix quart cans. I've got a 2.5 gallon metal NATO fuel can that I use for my "fill from" can.

Mike
Jonsered 490 - Stock
Echo CS-330MX4 - Mufmod + tuned
Husky 371XP - '99 model, Ported + Mufmod + tuned
Husky 550XP - Stock
Jonsered 2166 - "farmer jones"
Husky 365XT - "farmer Jones"
Husky 555 - Stock for now

ReinkeFandS

Another vote for the no-spill containers. They are actually 1 and 1/4 gallons so there is just enough room for a small bottle of oil. I have a clear one that I use for bar oil and the handles just fit over the handle of my falling axe so I can carry everything out in the woods in one trip.
Cooks MP HD3238
Stihl MS 461, MS 261, Homelite SXL
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

Gearbox

I use a old 2 gal. steel gas can that I picked up at a yard sale . It spills some gas but it pours quick and my 272 seems like it holds a quart . Like I said when im in the woods and come home the wife says I smell like gas . yup I didn't get the gas cap on the saw right again .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Thank You Sponsors!