iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winch addition

Started by dhp3228, January 25, 2016, 11:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhp3228

Thinking of adding a winch to my LT 40to help me pull limbs that are piled farther from my mill.

1. Words of wisdom about doing such things?

2. Words of persuasion or caution about adding on?

3. Could y'all post pics of what you have done in the past. ?

Thanks very much

starmac

Limbs or logs? I am not 100% sure what you are trying to do. Wre you wanting to roll logs up on it or pull logs to it. If the latter I would be scared of the log hanging up, while using my mill for a skidder.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Kbeitz

i got one behind my mill on a crane...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

kelLOGg

So did I. It slides in and out under motorized control. Even though it pivots, I don't pivot it more than about 10° because of the enormous torque on the receiver tube. I load (by rolling, not sliding or pulling), rotate and slide logs after they are on the mill with it. The only disadvantage of my design is limited access by machinery (bobcat, e.g.) on that side of the mill. If you weld to the main structural component of your mill make sure you have the skill and know what not to do. (I bent my frame ...loooooong story .... and took a year to find someone to correct it. Welders said "Oh, you welded on a non-neutral axis". Know what you are doing before you weld or bolt it on. Pardon the rant but I don't want anyone to make the same mistake I did.)

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Kbeitz

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 26, 2016, 07:06:50 AM
So did I. It slides in and out under motorized control. Even though it pivots, I don't pivot it more than about 10° because of the enormous torque on the receiver tube. I load (by rolling, not sliding or pulling), rotate and slide logs after they are on the mill with it. The only disadvantage of my design is limited access by machinery (bobcat, e.g.) on that side of the mill. If you weld to the main structural component of your mill make sure you have the skill and know what not to do. (I bent my frame ...loooooong story .... and took a year to find someone to correct it. Welders said "Oh, you welded on a non-neutral axis". Know what you are doing before you weld or bolt it on. Pardon the rant but I don't want anyone to make the same mistake I did.)

Yep welding can be a great way to put a curve in something.
Mobil home trailers are welded every couple inches across the top of the metal frames to
put in an upward curve in the frame so after all the weight of the wood is put on the
frame sits level.
On my crane it sits on the ground and has two arms that bolted to the frame of the mill.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

elk42

This works for me.  The winch slides back and forth on top to line up with the out side edge of the log. It will put less pressure on the log stops.     

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

dhp3228

Thanks for the info. Here's some clarification. I am talking about par buckling logs back to a WMLT 40 hydraulic mill

kelLOGg

Pictures of your current setup would help us understand more. Are you trying to roll logs to your lift arms?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Sixacresand

Quote from: dhp3228 on January 26, 2016, 09:17:20 PM
Thanks for the info. Here's some clarification. I am talking about par buckling logs back to a WMLT 40 hydraulic mill
I have parbuckled big logs onto the loading arms using a chain attached to the hydraulic clamp, which is a slow go, but works.  A good hand crank winch would probable do the job, since you are parbuckling on level ground.  When I had a stationary LT10 I had 110V winch mounted on a post a few feet from the mill for parbuckling those big 20 inch logs.  :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Remle

Quote from: dhp3228 on January 26, 2016, 09:17:20 PM
My WMLT 40 HD has a factory mounted manual winch right behind the hdy box. Does yours or has it been removed ?? If the bracket is their all you would need is to mount a manual or electric winch to it.

dhp3228

No mine doesn't have that attachment. Could you post pics. Hadn't thought of using the lifting arm hydraulics to par buckle a log to the mill. That would be nice to use instead of a winch except you'd only get a free feet at a time and then you'd have to re-rig

47sawdust

dhp3228,
My LT30 came with a manual winch for loading and turning. I replaced it with an electric winch. After adding a hydraulic pump I moved it to a different location.A pulley to change direction of pull and this should work for you.The winch is a 3700# Warn.Power for winch comes from the hydraulic pump terminal.
Best of luck,
Mick

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

dhp3228

Andries

Quote from: dhp3228 on January 25, 2016, 11:41:50 PM
Thinking of adding a winch to my LT 40to help me pull limbs that are piled farther from my mill.
1. Words of wisdom about doing such things?
2. Words of persuasion or caution about adding on?
3. Could y'all post pics of what you have done in the past. ?
Thanks very much
I replaced the manual winch on my mill. An ATV sized winch has enough power to roll big logs up the ramps onto the deck. Its called parbuckling and doesn't need much power.
1) Hauling logs from 100 feet way? Wouldn't advise that. My mill has skidded sideways six feet and not been able to free up an oak log frozen to the ground. A fetching arch, tractor, loader, skidder or something else rated for "mucho gusto" is recommended for that. Even a Lewis type winch hooked to the receiver hitch of your truck is better than a winch on the mill. For logs stacked 15 feet away and ready to be milled? You betcha! Works like a charm.
2) I built a metal box to keep rain and snow off of the winch, mounted it on the hefty metal bracket that the manual winch used to be bolted to. Used winch 'quick connect' type hookup to plug in the winch to the battery/fuse box when the sawhead is at the front end. ( My mill doesn't have a hyd. box like 47sawdust's mill has). The pulling cable runs back along the main beam, through a keeper and re-directed by a two inch pulley mounted to the frame just ahead of the axle.
3) The winch is in the black box just to the back of the hitch coupler. Its mounted with the spool on the vertical, not the usual horizontal. That protects the winch motor from the weather and lets the spool feed in/out without touching the box.

(you can see the electrical quick connect dangle down from the winch)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

47sawdust

Andries,
My winch used to be set up like yours with a Cole Hersee 2 pole plug and receptacle.I engaged the power feed more than once w/0 unplugging.No harm just felt a little foolish.You are correct about the risk of the log pulling the mill.All kinds of surprises can happen.
Nice set up you have there.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Brucer

When I had my manual mill, I sometimes used the winch to roll logs to the mill. The first time I did it was in the winter. I set my mill up across one end of the customer's industrial tent and he arranged for the logs to be stacked opposite the mill, with a roadway in between the logs and the mill. They plowed the roadway clear whenever the snow built up, so in theory I just had to roll the logs across a flat area to the mill.

This was fine until the logs froze together. Then I found myself cranking the mill sideways across the ground :o.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!