iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIG SYP

Started by Deese, January 25, 2016, 04:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deese

I came in to work this morning to find this really big syp tree uprooted by the driveway.
Yes, that is my hat sitting on top  :o That's roughly a 12½ foot log I cut from the base.

Yes, that is my saw STUCK in the tree  smiley_clapping smiley_dunce smiley_goofy_face laugh_at

The log is about 3 feet in diameter at the base (outside the bark) on the big end and 29" diameter small end. That is a 25" bar on that saw.

Challenge #1 will be getting it on a gooseneck flatbed trailer. I'm fairly certain the 'ole front end loader here at work cannot handle it. I'm thinking I have sawn some pretty big ones like this in the past, but only 8 footers. I think I can handle it once I get it home. Hopefully I can lift it one end at a time to get it on my "log rack".

Challenge #2 is deciding exactly HOW I should saw it. It is too wide for my little mill.

Option #1 would be rolling it onto the mill, then (with a chainsaw) trimming enough on one side for the saw to fit through. Another thing with option #1: For oversize logs, I would normally just cut a small, backwards "L" shaped groove lengthwise (with chainsaw) just narrow enough for the blade guide to fit through, then turn the log after 1 pass. That way, I wouldn't have to literally cut an entire slab lengthwise with the chainsaw. However, this log will be too heavy to turn, so I will have to remove an entire side slab with the saw, then either flat saw all the way to the bed and edge my boards, or keep removing slabs until it is light enough to turn 90°. Option #2 would be splitting in half with the chainsaw, then quartersawing it.

I have always wanted to quartersaw a big pine log but this one may not be the best candidate. There will be a knot or two in there. What would you do with it? Leave it on the ground?  :D :D :D
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Deese

A few more pics. When we rolled the log over with the tractor, there was a limb stuck in the ground that I did not see earlier. So, I will trim it back a few feet making it about 8' or 9'...That's the only major knot that I see other than a few smaller ones that have healed over.

Cooks AE4P Edger

Magicman

I personally would not trim the knot end off, but that is me.  There is a lot of meat (lumber) on three sides of the knot.

Better get your soapy (or whatever you use) blade lube ready, because I see the potential for some serious pitch.  With those even growth rings, you should not have any problem with stress.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deese

Quote from: Magicman on January 25, 2016, 05:49:31 PM
I personally would not trim the knot end off, but that is me.  There is a lot of meat (lumber) on three sides of the knot.

Better get your soapy (or whatever you use) blade lube ready, because I see the potential for some serious pitch.  With those even growth rings, you should not have any problem with stress.

I believe you're right on all counts. I could just leave it long and shorten whatever boards need trimming.
And yes sir about the pitch...my jeans were sticky after running the saw.  :o :o

Cooks AE4P Edger

fishfighter

I'm sitting on 3 like that. Just don't have the courage to deal with them. I know I will have to split them in half with a chainsaw and trim them some before I even put them on the mill. Done that a couple times and it whoop my butt. :o

bkaimwood

MM beat me too it...get your pitch potion ready, that baby has pitch rings in place of growth rings!!! BUT, she is a beauty, and I'm envious..wish she was my girl!!!! Can't wait to see what comes out of it...
bk

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Wayniac

i can cut that in half for you im in troy and have 38 inches between my blade guides
wayniac

Magicman

Wowser, Wayniac that is the Forestry Forum way to wake things up.  Welcome Sir.   8)

The pitch will be really concentrated in those scarred over damaged places.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deese

Quote from: Wayniac on January 25, 2016, 07:38:35 PM
i can cut that in half for you im in troy and have 38 inches between my blade guides

Dang that's mighty nice of you to offer that. I see that you aren't too far down the road. Welcome to the forum Wayniac. I just gave you my contact info. Feel free to give me a shout. I am in no hurry to saw it. Thanks again.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Percy

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

grweldon

Welcome to the forum Wayniac.  Great to have another Alabamian!  I'm in Autaugaville, between Prattville and Selma.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

WellandportRob

Wayniac, welcome to the form. What kind of rig are you running with a 38" throat?
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

MattJ

Deese, your post made me get going on putting up my attempt at splitting an oak log due to the same issue you face.

Here is my experience

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=88297.msg1354390#msg1354390

Matt

Deese

Quote from: MattJ on January 26, 2016, 10:08:45 AM
Deese, your post made me get going on putting up my attempt at splitting an oak log due to the same issue you face.

Here is my experience

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=88297.msg1354390#msg1354390

Matt

MattJ I checked it out and that was a TON of work! Great job.
If I decide to quarter saw it, I will either take it to another forum member close by who has a bigger mill, or I might just put that 25" bar on the MS440 with a new chain and let her rip.  smiley_beertoast
Cooks AE4P Edger

fishfighter

I wonder how much powder they used to split that log? ;D Might have to give that a try.

Kbeitz

Quote from: fishfighter on January 26, 2016, 11:52:44 AM
I wonder how much powder they used to split that log? ;D Might have to give that a try.
There may be more info on utube. There is a few videos about doing this.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Deese

Neat to watch. I can only imagine how bad I would mess that up if I tried it. hurt_smiley
I think I'll stick to the chainsaw.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

smiley_idea Heck I might just split it here at work. That would make for much easier loading. Duh  smiley_dunce dadgum you, Charlie!
Cooks AE4P Edger

Wayniac

i worked in a machine shop and built my own mill. so i built it to handle big logs and im glad i did. it is a four post with a 62 hp chevy metro engine copy of a beefed up kasco mill
wayniac

plowboyswr

Quote from: Wayniac on January 26, 2016, 06:40:57 PM
i worked in a machine shop and built my own mill. so i built it to handle big logs and im glad i did. it is a four post with a 62 hp chevy metro engine copy of a beefed up kasco mill

I know I'm not going to be the only one who would like to see pictures of that one. :) and welcome to the forum
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Deese

I finally got it loaded on a trailer today and taking her to the mill after work. It appears to have grown in the past 2 weeks  :o
Still haven't decided how I'm going to tackle this beast.  :P Let the adventure begin  8) :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:

Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

A friend and coworker of mine caught me leaving work a tad early and sent me this.

Cooks AE4P Edger

Wayniac

leave it on the trailer and bring it over and we can cut it up be a good day just swapping stories and meeting i have everything we need to get it unloaded and get it on my mill you decide just offering oh by the way nice looking piece of wood
wayniac

Deese

Quote from: Wayniac on February 11, 2016, 07:41:58 PM
leave it on the trailer and bring it over and we can cut it up be a good day just swapping stories and meeting i have everything we need to get it unloaded and get it on my mill you decide just offering oh by the way nice looking piece of wood

I really appreciate the offer Wayniac. I just may do that. I thought I had the entire weekend free to sawing but but now things have changed. Isn't that how it normally works?  ::) ::)

I may try to slip out of the office early today and finish sawing that small cedar I've got left over...Looks like the pine will have to wait for another day  :-\
Cooks AE4P Edger

Thank You Sponsors!