iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any of you collect or use old logging tools?

Started by jocco, January 25, 2016, 02:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jocco

Stuff like old axes, peavey's, pickaroons and so on. Do you use them or restore them? :)
You may check out but you will never leave

LittleJohn

I was going to ask, by coloect you mean hang off the tractor.  Cause all my tools get used.

BTW, pickaroons work great for reaching across the mill when sawing, or to prevent bending over; just dont step on them

sandsawmill14

i pick them up when i get a chance, i have an old peavy with the spike missing and an old cant hook that i use every day at the mill and have several old tools around that get used occasionally. if your not gonna use them no use to have them :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

beenthere

I hang the old ones on the wall and use the LogRite tools..
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

I do both, pick-um up when and where I can, if they are good to go, they are put to work. If they are in need of help, I restore them if I can, if they are to far goneI try to save what ever part is good and transplant it to another.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

mad murdock

I do.  I am gaining a small collection.  I restore them to working condition, sharpen as required, and put them to work.  I have several classic axes, and a few crosscut saws.  Along with a Peavey and a few other odds and ends.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

whiskers

many irons in the fire.........

mad murdock

I enjoy using the old axes and saws.  I even have come across filing tools for the old saws, jointer, raker gauges, etc. really nice to get the old tools tuned up and singing as they make chips fly :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

jocco

OK OK I have been know to stash a few relics.  ;D  Wife would argue the definition of few.  :o

Quote from: Jeff on January 25, 2016, 03:44:07 PM
maybe...

loggah

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Jeff

Maine372

I get them with the intention of fixing, most collect dust.

Peter Drouin

A lot of the older tools are a better steel then the junk out there today.
I save and use most all the old ones I have.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Jeff on January 25, 2016, 10:00:50 PM
You do see he said logging tools?

Ya, I have some. The east is where the logging and sawing started.
Tons all over the place.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ford_man

I have some old old old tools that i use all the time. the sad part is I bought them when they were new and never could afford to up grade them. say_what say_what

Glenn

I have my great grandfathers felling axe.  Handle has been replaced five times and the head has been replaced twice !!

Remle

Quote from: Glenn on January 26, 2016, 07:51:29 AM
I have my great grandfathers felling axe.  Handle has been replaced five times and the head has been replaced twice !!
???  I'd haft to say that one's been grand fathered in. ;) ;)

jocco

Well said ;D

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 25, 2016, 09:43:48 PM
A lot of the older tools are a better steel then the junk out there today.
I save and use most all the old ones I have.

treestump

I buy old tools whenever I can, garage is loaded with axes crosscuts bucksaws and old chainsaws in every building, logging tongs brush hook peaveys canr hooks, you name it I got it is an addiction but I have most of the old saws running

treestump

I remember when my father bought his first saw, was a Mcculloch 3-25 in 1951 so proud of it I now have 3 of them 2 will run the other for parts I painted one, looks good but the other one I will leave it in all its glory they sure are fun to work on, captive nut and when you just have one screw to put in it pops out and you have to start all over again on the gas tank some times it takes some cussing to fix em

Oliver05262

I do, but not on purpose !! I looked at a McCulloch 1-86 in a guy's shed the other day. Looked like new and he said it ran good. Wish he'd sell it.
  My first new saw was a McCulloch 550. Cuttin' demon, but probably part of why I can't hear good now. Sold it when the jobs turned to 4' pulp and Red Pine posts and barn poles 'cause it was an awful demon to handle all day. Homelite saws started a lot easier, too.
  Got a collection of Homelite 360's in the shop and a 450. Might work on them this winter.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

BargeMonkey

My dad hunted down a "dynamite wedge", which was a popular thing here back when the tannerys where going, the hemlock bark was used and the monsters where split with the wedge to get them on the saw carriage. I will have to get a picture of it, but it does work. Drive it in the log, couple scoops of gun powder and a fuse, light it and RUN.  :D

beenthere

Jeff has posted pics of his in the past. Others have too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BargeMonkey

Quote from: beenthere on January 27, 2016, 10:41:42 PM
Jeff has posted pics of his in the past. Others have too.
Not a common item to find out here. We have piles of old tools, saws, antique farm stuff but have only found 1 of them.

Offthebeatenpath

Just saw this thread as I came in for early lunch- we plan on testing out our old "dynamite wedge" today in fact.  I'll see if I can get a video.

My family has run an auction business for many decades, so my basement is full of axes, crosscuts, peaveys, etc. I like to fix them up and get em back into hands that will use them. Right now I have a plethora of decent peaveys if anyone is looking for one...
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Corley5

All my stuff is old.  Even my Logrites have been around for a while  ;D  We've got several old crosscut saws, cant hooks, many axes etc. in buildings around the place.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Quote from: BargeMonkey on January 27, 2016, 09:57:27 PM
My dad hunted down a "dynamite wedge", which was a popular thing here back when the tannerys where going, the hemlock bark was used and the monsters where split with the wedge to get them on the saw carriage. I will have to get a picture of it, but it does work. Drive it in the log, couple scoops of gun powder and a fuse, light it and RUN.  :D

Actually, they are normally referred to as a Powder Wedge. I still have one in my collection that is new with the label still on it and I have the original literature and hardware receipt for it's purchase. Here is a picture of it and it's display copy of the liturature where it is displayed in the "Forestry Forum Museum" ;)

Ljohnsaw

So were the powder wedges a one-time use?  I cannot make out the instructions.  Can you describe the use?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

beenthere

Put another powder charge in (and a fuse) and they are set to go again. IIRC
south central Wisconsin

Ljohnsaw

But...  Do you drive it in with a sledge, hitting the red part?  Somehow, I don't see that holding up.  I take it you put black powder in the opening on the wedge?  Or is the wedge shot out from the red chamber like a cannon?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 28, 2016, 04:00:46 PM
But...  Do you drive it in with a sledge, hitting the red part?  Somehow, I don't see that holding up.  I take it you put black powder in the opening on the wedge?  Or is the wedge shot out from the red chamber like a cannon?

You would load the powder into the wedge, then drive it into the log using a sledge I would imagine. you load and pack the powder in through the port in the wedge blade. That is also where the blast is emitted from.  It would hold up certainly from the driving in, as it is very very heavy. hold up to the blast? Dunno. :)

They were reusable if you could find them. :D   There was an "optional" cap  and chain you could purchase so you could secure it to the log to help keep it from leaving the scene.

It was certainly an unnecessary tool, but they were sold in many styles and are HIGHLY collectible. I doubt another unused one of the style I have exists outside of mine, and the one that I sold several years ago.

I say unnecessary because its a simple matter of either cutting a slit, or boring a hole in the log and packing with powder to blow one. One does not really need the wedge.

Jeff

jocco

Jeff for what its worth my father used to tell me, back when, they used to bore into a stick or short log and load it with powder, cap it off and light it :o This split tough logs and also was common for kindling. You could buy dynamite at at stores for stump/beaver dam removal. He always said they were pretty selective about who they sold it to!!!! ::) Guess it was just a different method of doing things. Also when I was a kid it was not uncommon to find dynamite/powder in old buildings!!  smiley_devil

Quote from: Jeff on January 28, 2016, 04:53:10 PM

BargeMonkey

I've got to digo ors out and post a picture, looks nothing like yours Jeff, ours looks like a big pencil with spiral grooves on the last few inches

loggah

The 2 i have just have a sharpened tapered end and you drive the unit itself into the end of the log,then touch it off. works best if you put another log,dozer blade or excavator bucket against it to keep it from flying.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

51cub

I collect anything I'm interested in. The plan is always to make it usable again. I have a couple crosscut saws, and one or two old chainsaws around. My big problem is the same one I imagine everybody has. I need more room
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

timberlinetree

Those are some neat tools! Thanks for sharing. I have a few old hand saws and 20-30 old chain saws. I just started collecting obsolete snow removal tools from New England: 3 no running snowblowers and a snow plow. :D
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!