iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is the Stihl MS 261 C-M right for me?

Started by mrselfreliance, January 25, 2016, 01:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrselfreliance

Hi everyone, first time forum user here.  Great place for info.

So I just started heating with wood and will be cutting it all myself.  Well, me and my father will cut about 15 to 20 cords a year together to heat our houses and my sisters.

So to start off, I got an MS230 from a neighbor (for free!, his wife was afraid every time he used it).  So I replaced the chain, tuned it up and it works great.  Cut about 5 cords with it so far this year.... I'm afraid I'm going to burn the thing out...  and a little more power would be nice.  I definitely want to keep it as my backup.

So seeing as how we don't have a husky dealer in my town, Stihl will be my choice.

The diameter of the trees on our land are no more than 15" and on average are less than 7", so 16" bar is what I'm going with.  The trees are mostly poplar, maple, birch and pine.

I want to buy a light saw that I can keep for a good 10 to 15 years cutting about 10 cords of wood annually. 

From what I can tell, the MS 261 C-M sounds like my ideal saw.  Just wanted to see what the more experienced cutters say?

My father who's very experienced just tells me to keep using what I have but I don't want to burn it out.  I want to keep it as a spare/second saw.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, mrselfreliance.  Having both a 40cc and a 50cc makes perfect sense.  smiley_thumbsup 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

Welcome aboard. The 261 would be a good choice, still light with good power and more aggressive chain.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

gspren

I have a 261 from before the C-M but basically the same without auto-tune, I like it for the size trees you are talking about. My experience, and I'm told it's typical, is that it takes about 5 tanks of fuel through it to really wake up and get impressive so if you get one don't expect full power on the first couple tanks.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

DonnerParty

Sounds like a good fit for what you're doing. I've had a 261 CM for a couple of years. It's a fantastic saw for its size, weight and balance. Stick with the same pitch and gauge bars and chains on both of your saws so everything is interchangeable and you only need one size file. .325 on an 18" bar would be my recommendation for the 261, but it will pull 3/8 just fine.

mrselfreliance

Thanks everyone, just wanted to make sure.  I might look for a used one.

pwheel

I'm sure you'd like a 261cm. I've got the standard carb version and my only issue is that it's sneaky quick and if you don't have a good touch on the throttle, the saw will blow through limbs and over-rev in a heartbeat and/or the bar tip will head for places you don't want it to be. The conventional wisdom, "Don't cut faster than you can think." comes to mind.
Stihl MS260 Pro, MS261, MS440 x2, MS460, FS90; 1982 Power King 1614

mrselfreliance

So I definitely won't be wishing for a 60cc in 6 months with the size wood I'm cutting right?  I just want to make sure I get the right saw for the long term.

And second question.  Should I buy a used non CM version for half the price?  Or is the CM worth it?  And since this is for the log term, would new be the way to go anyways?

pwheel

A 50cc saw is all you need for that size wood; the questions is how fast do you want to cut. My MS260 (3.2 hp) will handle that size all day, which means the MS271/291 saws w/standard 16" b/c & .325 pitch chain will work, too.
If you're relatively new to operating chainsaws, I'd suggest new and extend the warranty to two years by buying a six-pack of Stihl Ultra mix oil at the time of sale. I got a good deal on a used 261, but it's always a roll of the dice unless you're skilled at evaluating used equipment and what could be wrong with it.

gspren

It was just over 4 years ago while I was also researching the 261 that I found and joined this Forum and I have been more than happy with both. Update your profile to show where you are and no matter what saw you get stick around and look over the rest of the subjects covered here, it's amazing what all you can learn.

mrselfreliance

Thanks for all the advice.  Updated my profile a little bit. 

Does stihl have deals that come around in the fall or spring?  Should I wait?  My MS 230 is doing the job for now so I'm in no real hurry.  And I'll be gone till March, so I won't be cutting for a bit.

sawguy21

Stihl usually has a fall promotion, pricing gets a bit better and in the past they included a spare chain, carrying case, a file kit and ball cap. Gotta have that officyall genyouine Stihl ball cap. ;D

mrselfreliance

Can't go wrong with a free hat!

How often do they update their saws?  Would hate to buy new and have the next version released shortly thereafter.

DonnerParty

There's a new 261 in the works, I believe, and might already be shipping to some dealers. Mainly trying to make some of their saws lighter. Will have to wait and see how much strength and durability gets sacrificed to lose a bit of weight.

My dealer has the "current" 261CM on sale right now. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a new one off the shelf at a discount. Great saws.

sawguy21

Why worry about that unless you need to have the newest and bestest?  Products are always being updated as technology improves, have to stay ahead of the competition, and government regulations change (seldom for the better).

jopoff1981

261 is a great saw is more than enough for what you're cutting would recommend a 20 inch bar will save your back.

CTYank

Another good choice: Dolmar 5105. Couple basic reasons:
1. Dolmar's power figures are more honest than stihl's. Often much more so.
2. Their saws are better values.
3. Most all their saws are "pro-quality". No plasticy "bosses".
4. Dolmar doesn't embargo parts lists, nor online sales.

Were I in your shoes, I'd try a 5105 Dolmar. Their 410 is a real keeper also, IMO.
Likely you won't be needing the dealer much.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

ladylake

Keep a eye on the muff screen on your 230, they like to clog up and will be down on power if clogged.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

pwheel

Quote from: mrselfreliance on January 26, 2016, 07:38:57 PM...How often do they update their saws?  Would hate to buy new and have the next version released shortly thereafter.
Suggest that the latest proven technology is your best bet. The brand new models often have problems.

mrselfreliance

Quote from: ladylake on February 19, 2016, 07:52:50 AM

Keep a eye on the muff screen on your 230, they like to clog up and will be down on power if clogged.   Steve

Thanks!  I'll check that out.  So far it's just my air filter that freezes up once in awhile and bogs down the saw.  I just bring it in the house for a few minutes to warm it up and then the saw runs great. 

DelawhereJoe

I have had the 026 that i got new in the mid 90's, never had to do anything to it aside from an oil cap, spark plug and air filter. If they have improved it you will be very happy. I just picked up a 362 c-m and felled my first tree with it today and wondered where it had been all my life. Took down a 12" gum in about a min for all 3 cuts.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

gspren

DelawhereJoe, welcome to the forum, take a minute to do your profile and do an introduction in the general area such as what your wood cutting is, pro, hobby, etc.

mrselfreliance

So finally going to make the plunge and buy my new saw in the next couple weeks. 

I might end up with the 362 CM.........  It's less than a pound difference for an extra 10cc's.  Someone want to talk me out of it? 

DelawhereJoe

Nope, not gonna try to talk you down off that ledge, the 362 c-m is a great saw.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

VT_Forestry

I've got both - I like the 261 for the light weight while still having pretty good power, and I like the 362 for the power to easily pull a 20" bar through any wood.  Can't go wrong with either, but don't look at me if you need someone to talk you out of getting a bigger saw  :D
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Thank You Sponsors!