iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wind lift

Started by RogerJP, January 24, 2016, 08:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogerJP

I am building a cabin 18'w x 38'L x 24'H, on the bank of a creek, 3 sides are protected from the wind,  the north end has a 10' roof overhang  which faces the creek and no wind protection. The base will be on a skid which will not be secured to the ground, the wind can get up to 80k sometimes,  do I need to be concerned about wind lifting and moving the cabin?

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: RogerJP on January 24, 2016, 08:57:10 AM
I am building a cabin 18'w x 38'L x 24'H, on the bank of a creek, 3 sides are protected from the wind,  the north end has a 10' roof overhang  which faces the creek and no wind protection. The base will be on a skid which will not be secured to the ground, the wind can get up to 80k sometimes,  do I need to be concerned about wind lifting and moving the cabin?
'

No, just make sure the tail numbers are legible and be sure to file the flight plans...

< BIG GRIN >

Sorry, couldn't help it  :D :D :D :D'

Herb
'

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum! I can't help much with your question, but I have seen the wind do some serious damage before.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

Welcome to the Forum.
Would help answer if you would put your location in your profile. Click your forum name, and it will take you to where you can update your profile.

Is 80k an abbreviation now for 80 knots?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

grweldon

Probably 80 Kilometers per hour?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

RogerJP

yes it's 80 Kilometers per hour. Location Peace River area, Alberta

grweldon

From what I've found, calculations for wind lift are a bit complicated.  When I was designing the foundation for my barn I needed to consult with a structural engineer concerning lift calculations.  I actually had to increase the weight of the slab to keep the calculations within limits.

I don't have enough practical experience to give any advice.  Depending on what you intend to do with the cabin, might not hurt to consult an engineer.  My question is, what would you need to do if it is found that you need to do something to avoid the possibility of damage due to winds?  I suppose you are just sitting the base on rocks?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Chilterns

Hi Roger,

I used to live just south of you in Edson, Alta and so I am familiar with the Peace River area. I would recommend that you get someone local and competent to check your design however I am a little surprised that this has not already been done as part of the building permit process.

The effects of wind on a building are very much driven by the exposure of the site to wind together with the size and shape of the building, especially the slope of roof together with the size and location of possible openings i.e. windows and doors. The building needs to be checked for wind blowing across the building and also along the length of the building. In winter there would be less chance of uplift as the dead weight of snow will help hold the building down onto its foundation or supports. I think that 80km per hour wind although high is not extreme and so given that you are surrounded on three sides (by trees ?) I doubt that you should be too concerned about the main building however the overhang is open and so is more vulnerable to wind damage.

Chilterns

Andries

Roger - Prairie winds and a howling Chinook from Dawson Creek might not be that different.
If you're posting here, and have mentioned that 10 foot overhang . . . . I'm thinking that your 'spider sense' is working for you. Welcome to the best Forum on the Web.
Do this:
Ground anchor the cabin skids.
Whether timber frame or stick built, design some wind braces into the frame.
Hurricane straps for the rafter/trusses to the top wall plate. Every one.
Aluminum soffit, fascia and metal roofing will lower the wind effect a bunch.
Remember, even if you're in an un-incorporated area and don't need code books or inspectors - the code is the minimum.
In a few years you'll be smug knowing that you "overbuilt" that puppy!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

RogerJP

Thanks for your replys. Yesterday we finishing the logging, in a wind and snow storm but they are all in the yard.

fishfighter

For sure ground straps. They do have auger type screw downs then one runs a metal strap from that and tied/screwed to the base foundation.

Thank You Sponsors!