iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FROZEN LOGS

Started by woodman58, January 23, 2016, 07:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodman58

Good morning. I wandering what the draw backs are of cutting frozen logs. Last weekend I ran into, what I think was frozen ends of the log. My blade started making a higher pitch sound and at one point it stopped my blade twice. I looked at the cut and found no metal or anything else. It was white oak. Thanks
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

ladylake

Frozen white oak cut just a little harder than normal..   Is your blade sharp.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Jeff

Frozen logs are not near as problematic as half frozen logs. Sort of like the same as case hardened.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

scully

I did some frozen red oak one year way oversized as well I went to a 9deg. blade and it really helped. I am no authority on this however ,just my personal experience .
I bleed orange  .

terrifictimbersllc

Last year at this time started sawing 150 white oak logs with 4 degree WM blades, 25-26 thousandths set, and 42HP.  Worked very well.  These logs were clean. Biggest problem with frozen logs is when there is frozen dirt/mud on them.  Debarker doesn't make it through and the mud stays on the exit side of the log. Have to use more sharp blades then. Be sure to trim the front of any dirty log.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Thankfully I have never encountered a frozen log.  Maybe Grits keeps them away.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

petefrom bearswamp

Lynn
Grits or maybe that other southern delicacy Boiled (yuk) peanuts
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Wow Pete, Thanks for reminding me about that package of frozen Boiled Peanuts in the freezer. 

They will become this afternoon's delicacy.   food6 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

sounds like you got into a beast with that white oak, I've seen them hard regardless of temp.  Like Jeff said half frozen is or can be more of a pain, from what I've seen, hard to predict the behavior, especially with SYP,  it can get very reactive.  I sawed a frozen hickory last Saturday, and It sawed good, I'm thinking better than if it was fresh and green.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: drobertson on January 23, 2016, 12:14:06 PM
sounds like you got into a beast with that white oak, I've seen them hard regardless of temp.  Like Jeff said half frozen is or can be more of a pain, from what I've seen, hard to predict the behavior, especially with SYP,  it can get very reactive.  I sawed a frozen hickory last Saturday, and It sawed good, I'm thinking better than if it was fresh and green.
Had no trouble with WM double hard 4 deg 1-1/4 045 blades, 42HP, all sharpened myself.  Only issue sometimes was those from the ground with frozen dirt on them.   

Was my first job after installing FAO's (fine adjustable outriggers), was able to keep dimension variation from target within 1/8" over lengths up to 18 feet. Very glad for the FAOs especially since long time customer and the timbers were for his house.   We sawed them (120 in all) 3/8 over dimension at request of timber planer.

I learned something valuable about breaking frozen logs loose from that job.   He was breaking chains (1/4") jerking on them with his tractor.  We tried prying with bars etc.  The real winner is a Hi-Lft Xtreme jack inserted between two logs, without the jack foot so jack end bites into log, no problem busting out any of them.  Quite easy and impressive.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!