iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS460 Handle?

Started by rangerbob, October 14, 2004, 08:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rangerbob

Hi y'all,

This is my first post although I've been lurking for quite a while and bouth myself a Stihl 046 Magnum about 4 months back to replace the Poulan that I had been running for about 18 months.

Anyways my question is does any know ( or can find for me ) the part number for the front handle for the Stihl MS460 Rescue model? I need to replace the handle on my saw and I'd like to get the one from the Rescue to replace it but my parts dealer just can't seem to figure out what it is I'm asking for even though I've showed him the picture of it.

Thanks,
Rob

SasquatchMan

Looks like the 460RS sports a sort of wrap-around handle?  Can't imagine why a Stihl dealer wouldn't be able to bring one in.  But you can expect to pay a silly amount for it, I'll betcha.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

rangerbob

Yup. Thats the one I'm looking for. The older gentlteman that runs the shop is more than happy to order me one ( I've bought a few things from him so far ) but he can't find the part number. :(

Chris J

Hi, RB.  I might be pointing out the obvious, but here goes.

Have you tried the Stihlusa website for a parts list?  If they list your saw, you can request a parts list that they'll mail to you, usually in weeks time.  Same for an operators manual, but it doesn't sound like you need an OM.  Some of their documents are downloadable, but the last time I ordered a PL the chainsaw stuff wasn't.  I'll gladly check my Stihl CD when I get home tonight; off the top of my head I have no idea if your saw is listed.

Best of luck,  MN
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Erick

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forum I think the handelbar your looking for is part number 1128 790 3602 hope this helps.
It's better to have it and not need it. Then to need it and not have it.

rangerbob

That was the correct part number. Thanks! Only problem is that the part is around 110 US Dollars. *winces*

SasquatchMan

Does that mean I win the bet? :D ::)

Wonder how much a Stihl would cost if you built it from parts.

Erick

Rob,
Glad I could help. Stihl is pretty proud of their parts I always try to keep in the uprite position and dont look at anything on the lower shelfs whenever I'm in one of their stores  ;)  You might be able to contact some of the peple on this site that build saws they may have an extra handelbar or check some of the saw parts stores on ebay. I will try to keep an eye out and let you know if I see anything. I have a few local dealers that deal in used saws and parts I'll see if they have anything.

Sasquatch,
I dont think anyone would take that bet  :D Its funny how they build a 700.00 dollar saw out 2000.00 dollars worth of parts. ;D

Chris J

I beat the bushes bare before I purchase or order a new part from a Stihl dealer; lately I've been leaning towards parts saws.  Now maybe if a used saw is in excellent cosmetic condition & a new part is really the only way to go.  Nothing against the local dealers, I just have some problems with Sthil's pricing & their restrictive distribution policies.

Sorry for the ranting.   MN
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

SasquatchMan

Just goes to show what a good deal buying a new Stihl is - you get a $2000.00 saw for just $700.00!

Erick

Never  thought  of  it  that  way  sasquatch  guess  I  better  go  thank  my  dealers  for  the  great  deals.  ::)  Umm  I  think

SasquatchMan

Just trying to find the bright side, Erick! :D

Erick

Rob,
One of the FF members (Dean Hylton) runs an E-bay store called Washington hot saws. He has a 3/4 wrap handlebar for an 044/MS440 listed for 40.00. I believe the handle will fit the 046/MS460 (maybe someone can help me out here) you might want to contact him here trough a private message or go to his store.The part looks new or at least gently used and his price sounds a whole lot better than the $110.00 stihl wants.

Kevin

Baileys have them listed at $18.95 for the 044/046 .

Dean Hylton

Hey thanks Eric.  The one that Baileys sells is a half wrap handle bar. My half wraps are $13.50  

rangerbob

Been a while since I originally asked.  :) I found one on eBay. Only thing about it is that it's not quite the right one. I think I got a full wrap from an 066 because the bottom two mount holes are further apart on the handle than they are on my 046. Nothing a drill won't take care of. :-)

BC_coops

A while back I had looked into conversion of east coast 440 to a west coast 440.

For the database, here is what I learned from a Stihl tech in Newport News.  He said the Forestry Service does this conversion all the time.  It will convert a std east coast "half-wrap" 440/460 to a west coast "factory wrap" or 3/4-wrap 440R/460R with dual bumper spikes.

It's not just the handle alone that makes the conversion safe.  The outside bumper spike might not be a bad idea if you are going to turn the saw over to work from that side.

qty 1--      1122 640 1701      chain sprocket cover, with external bumper spike and chain catcher
qty 1--      1122 664 0506      internal bumper spike, to match external bumper spike (replaces the single bumper spike on the east-coast model)
qty 1--      1128 790 3600      factory wrap handle (similar to handlebar for the "fire & rescue" model, but without the tool holder)
qty 1--      1128 791 5500      elbow connector
qty 2--      9074 478 4675      screws
qty 1--      9307 021 0120      washer
qty 1--      9022 371 1020      screw

Thank You Sponsors!