iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who has made the most diesel engines?

Started by Skidder Kev, January 22, 2016, 06:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skidder Kev

The boss and I have a on going friendly arguement about who has made the most diesel engines he says Yanmar I say Kubota Is either right??  I have tried to google it but don't really come up with much.  What do you guy's think??

Thanks Kev

elk42

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Don_Papenburg

What about cat?  They have been building diesels for a long time.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

sandsawmill14

my guess would be detroit :) they were used on everything imaginable especially during the 2nd world war
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

red

There are a lot of GM 6.2 L and 6.5L military vehicles . So parts will always be available and cheap.  It was nothing special but lots of them.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Onthesauk

Could be Yanmar given the variety of sizes they've built over the years, from little tractors up through container ships.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Bruno of NH

I would think maybe some thing German
A lot of diesel rigs in Europe
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

sandsawmill14

yanmar claims  over 15 million engines sold since 1933.  i still think gm/ detroit  for sure if you count the engine class red mentioned and not just the 2 strokes.  fyi gm built over 57,000 detroit diesel engines in 1943 :o that was many more than i would have expected :D

fishpharmer

I think Benz invented the diesel engine.  They have sold many military, marine and civilian diesels.  They could be in the running too.

Correction: Rudolph Diesel invented the diesel engine. Not Benz.  Kills my argument.  :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sandsawmill14

Quote from: fishpharmer on January 22, 2016, 09:17:39 PM
I think Benz invented the diesel engine.  They have sold many military, marine and civilian diesels.  They could be in the running too.

Correction: Rudolph Diesel invented the diesel engine. Not Benz.  Kills my argument.  :D

but he worked for deutz another definate contender :) and also probably the oldest by about 30-40 yrs

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

coxy

GM

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

starmac

My money would be on detroit, even without including the gm diesels, which were not detroits.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

sandhills

I'd have to go with Detriot also, but have no clue to be honest.

Ron Wenrich

Detroit diesel is rated at 5 million produced since 1938.

Here's something to consider.  In 2014, there were 72.3 million cars produced worldwide.  17.8 million of those were in Europe where 50% of the marker is for diesels.  Germany produced 5.5 million of them.  In 2010, worldwide production of diesel units, not including cars or minivans was 12.1 million units.  1/3 of that production was in China, but that has been a recent trend.  1/4 of the production was in Europe.  Japan and North America was way far behind.  The recent Volkswagen recall is for 11 million diesels, primarily in their Jetta units. 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

timberlinetree

I was shocked that the voltswagon might win! :D
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Just Me

Volts wagon has supplied diesel engines for other manufacturers as well. I had a Volvo with a VW diesel.

sandsawmill14

ron that number sounds to low but may be completely accuarate because i dont know ??? ;D :D :D i do know that detroit sold their 1 millionth 60 series engine in the mid 2000s( 08 or 09  i think). the 5 million would show production almost flat from 1943 levels to present  :)

gspren

A few years ago I read some trivia facts, worldwide who owns the most trucks; Coke, worldwide who has made the most trucks; Tonka.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

sandsawmill14

i wore out 3 of those tonka tucks myself also one of their cranes they were good trucsk only thing that wasnt steel was the wheels  :D :D :D

ron my last comment was not meant to be argumentative i guess just hope one of our engines would come out on top :)

Ron Wenrich

I found it on Wikipedia, so you know it has to be accurate.   ;)  I thought it sounded low, but it seems to be a well researched page.  Detroit engines are more on the commercial line and last a long time.  So, it seems there isn't as much turnover as compared to Volkswagen, Mercedes, or other car type of diesels.  Also, a broader market for the cars. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

coxy

I would think there was 5mill big rigs on the road alone with Detroits in them  :)

mad murdock

auto diesel engines, I would say VW.  Heavy truck/industrial, I would say Detroit or Cat.  Light industrial and light/medium truck I would guess Mercedes Benz. Just about every reefer van and reefer rail car is benz diesel,  Heavy marine, I would go with Fairbanks/Morse.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

customsawyer

I have never seen the whole forum stumped before. I love it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

currantvt

Another candidate is Lister, when I was working in Africa back in the 70s it seemed every village's water  supply was dependent on an 8hp single cylinder chugging away at 650rpm 24/7/365 - they may have been a victim of their own success as they never wore out so were not replaced. Listeroid's are still made in India, not sure if that counts though.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on January 23, 2016, 01:43:28 PM

I said Volkswagen and moved on.  :D

sandsawmill14

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 23, 2016, 02:42:50 PM

but you came back :D :D :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on January 23, 2016, 02:44:11 PM

Just picking up my bread crumbs.  ;D

Skidder Kev

wow thanks for all the replies. All I have found so far on Kubota is it made its 10 million engine in 1987 doesnt say if it is just diesel or gas. and then in 2002 it exceded 20 mil industrial engines.  but doesn't specify gas or diesel either.   You would figure with all the info on the web you would be able to find something on it. 

Kev

Magicman

But we do know which is termed as the most powerful Diesel engine ever built:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Maybe the mfgrs. hesitant to post numbers on this?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Kbeitz

In my area the reefer engines are mostly Kubota.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

elk42

Found on the web where Perkins in the 1990,s had made 15 mil engines .
Cat bought them in 1998.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Roxie

Certainly don't know a lot about diesels, but at the area tractor pulls, they make Detroit's compete in their own separate class.  No regular tractor would out pull them.  Love to hear them under load.   :)
Say when

mad murdock

I don't know who built the most, but here is a link to the biggest http://www.amusingplanet.com/2013/03/the-largest-and-most-powerful-diesel.html
a touch over 108,000 HP. that would swing a big saw blade 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

coxy

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 23, 2016, 02:45:35 PM
Quote from: sandsawmill14 on January 23, 2016, 02:44:11 PM

Just picking up my bread crumbs.  ;D
you said voltswagon  not volkswagon so it does not count  ;D :)

isawlogs

Its the goat in him that makes it hard to use spell check.... He must, at times, be forgiven... But not too often as they can get acustomed to reassonable accommodation! ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

coxy

Don_Papenburg

If you are counting all of GM diesel engines you have to include Electromotive . They made a lot of rail engines
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: isawlogs on January 23, 2016, 07:58:19 PM
   Its the goat in him that makes it hard to use spell check.... He must, at times, be forgiven... But not too often as they can get acustomed to reassonable accommodation! ;)

A Frenchman talking to an American Goat about spell check???

Thats unreassssssonable.  :D

starmac

I still say detroit has to be right up there, untill their 2 cycle line was pretty much outlawed they were used worldwide in about every applicitation you can find a need to power from 2 cylinders, to at least 16. I don't know how to find the numbers, but I would bet that detroit has put a couple of million or more out since the Penske bought it and the 2 cycles were discontinued.

Heck, I own at least 3 detroits myself, what in the world would I do with that many voltswagons or mercedes? lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Knocker of rocks

Quote from: starmac on January 23, 2016, 11:19:08 PM
I still say detroit has to be right up there, untill their 2 cycle line was pretty much outlawed they were used worldwide in about every applicitation you can find a need to power from 2 cylinders, to at least 16. I don't know how to find the numbers, but I would bet that detroit has put a couple of million or more out since the Penske bought it and the 2 cycles were discontinued.

I think the big Detroit/GM designed two-cycle engines are still being manufactured in the USA by EMD.

A weird one for you is that EMD was once a GM company, and is now a division of CAT

cowtipper

Isuzu has had a good name in the diesel engine field for long time and had built over 23 million diesels since its predecessor developed Japan's first air-cooled automotive diesel engine in 1936.

Detroit has built more than 5 million engines since 1938 and currently has more than 1 million engines in operation worldwide...  https://www.demanddetroit.com/About/press/fastfacts.aspx

Thank You Sponsors!