iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about scales built into Trucks

Started by tburch, January 22, 2016, 12:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tburch

I've ordered a load of post oaks and will be paying by the ton.  There are no scales around me that I know of.  Do truck scales usually read pretty accurately? 

Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

tburch

And does 26-30 tons sound right for a truck load?  I ordered 16'6" post oaks, 10" on the small end, clear trunks, straight.   Logger said that some will have 12-13" tops as well.   
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

Gearbox

If you pull the same trailer the air guages will put a driver within 500 lbs. . Do you know how much weight a truck like he has can haul leageley . How many axels ?
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

tburch

starmac

The electronic scales on my truck are pretty much accurate to 50 pounds or so if you are setting on dead level ground, but you have to know the tare weight and they will not show that, it just weighs what you load on the truck, does not take into account the light weight, nor differentiate between if you have 20 gallons or 300 gallons of fuel on.
I just set my scales where it starts at my average lightweight and have them stop loading when it gets to maximum, usually. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

rjwoelk

As a long hauler you cant gross over 80000 lbs in the us. That is my experience.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

starmac

Uh, the U.S. is a big place, and gross weight is a state thing.
My standard log truck (no extra axles) can legally gross 89.5 if I can bridge it, which I can.
Empty weight is 28,000, so I can handle (legally) 31 tons of logs with a 500 pound buffer, but the dot gives a 1000 pound buffer, before money starts changeing hands.

Gearbox

In MN we can go 99000 on 6 axel in the winter 88000 summer . Interstate hiway 80000
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

CCC4

I been thinking on this, if he is bringing precuts, then he is running a bunk trailer...bunk trailers are heavier than pole trailers...so if he brings 30 ton of logs, he could be arriving at your door 98,000 to 100,000 depending on his truck. Our Freightliner with a bunk trailer runs heavy every day, the trailer is so heavy that in order to get any weight in timber, this has to happen (illegal here but it is what it is till my boss gets his butt fined)

chevytaHOE5674

And in Michigan we can go 164,000 on 11 axles.  :D

What kind of scales on the truck is the logger using? Just reading the air gauges in his bags or does he have electric load cell scales in it? The load cell scales are fairly accurate, air pressure gauges are an approximation and depending how well the rig is loaded and the driver knows what his pressures are at a given weight can be fairly close or way off in my experience.

starmac

Like mentioned above, being precut, it is probably loaded on a hay rack, which are not only heavy to start with, but highly doubtful it will have electronic scales, maybe squeeze gauge,but I sure wouldn't buy anything using them.

flyboy16101

To give you a rough and I mean very rough idea to go off of there is a  log weight calculator in the tool box on the upper bar of the forum. It's not going to 100% right but at least it will give you a ruff idea. Usually if I'm buying poles the logger tells me a price for the whole load.
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

grassfed

26-30 sounds right to me.

Since they are saw logs and you have agreed on the length/minimum top ask him about how many logs he will bring in an average load. He should know pretty close. You can then estimate BF based on this and check by counting logs that he unloads.

That is about as close as you are going to get unless you stick scale each one. (you could also tell him that you want to do this to confirm) You need to be comfortable about your cost per BF and he should understand if he wants a new customer.

It is always a bit tough buying or selling the first few loads with someone new; just part of the business.
Mike

SwampDonkey

It's not as cut in dry if your dealing with species with a wide range of green moisture content. Up here loads of logs could be a mix of spruce and fir, and it's why mills are fussy on percentage allowances of species and your price drops or some mills say they have to be separate. A green balsam fir logs weighs more than the same volume of green white spruce. Water isn't worth much as lumber. Remember it could be SPF on the grade stamp, but it's been kilned to 19% by that point. Not before the logs came through the mill gate and scales. I would need to sample the loads. Any such scales here for such transactions have to meet federal regulations of accuracy, period.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tburch

Well, everything seemed to work out OK yesterday.  Log truck was about 30 minutes late though.  ;)

The logs looked good.  I was satisfied.  Ended up being 27.55 tons of post oaks, with a red oak and a couple mystery logs in the bunch - two or three had orange bottoms.  I'll look closer later.  (see second and last pictures)

49 logs in all.  Got 'em all stacked nice and neat with the skid steer/grapple after the log truck and my buddy and his loader left.    My buddy's loader skills certainly ain't winning any "precision stacker" awards.  To his credit, he is usually just putting logs in his truck. 

My stack!

Gearbox

Looking at that pile I can see why he has sides on his truck .

Dave Shepard

He would have to have made a stack to be in contention for a stacking award. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

CCC4

I see a hickory in there, maybe also sweet gum or cottonwood

tburch

Quote from: CCC4 on January 29, 2016, 07:31:26 PM
I see a hickory in there, maybe also sweet gum or cottonwood

Can you mark up the picture and point them out please?  I would appreciate it.   I'm OK recognizing trees, but by no means an expert.

Thank You Sponsors!