iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big snow coming to the NorthEast

Started by kensfarm, January 21, 2016, 08:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tree-farmer

Quote from: red on January 21, 2016, 09:26:54 PM
There is no storm . They are trying to sell milk and bread to stimulate the Economy.

Ive got 9 inches of imagination in the yard, and its still coming down. Neighbor had picture of bread isle at grocery. Not a loaf left, bare shelves, not even a pack of ding dongs left.
I guess the sales idea worked... ;)
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Roxie

Quote from: tree-farmer on January 22, 2016, 12:14:24 PM
Quote from: red on January 21, 2016, 09:26:54 PM
There is no storm . They are trying to sell milk and bread to stimulate the Economy.

Ive got 9 inches of imagination in the yard, and its still coming down. Neighbor had picture of bread isle at grocery. Not a loaf left, bare shelves, not even a pack of ding dongs left.
I guess the sales idea worked... ;)

:D :D

We are in a blizzard warning area and haven't experienced one bit of shortage of milk or bread, or gas lines.  Cowboy Bob went to the grocery this morning and said he didn't think the lines were as long as a normal Friday. 
Say when

scleigh

I'm about 1 hour west of Charlotte and we've got 5" of snow and it's sleeting with a 20 mph wind.

The mill and everything around it is frozen, no sawing again this weekend.

dustyhat

State of emergency here in south ky. one foot plus in places and still coming down .done had one call from an elderly women. i finely made it to her house .we called 911 and they came in a hummer. boy them things sure dont go to good. we winched it up the hill for about a hundred yards . but  i about never made it back home myself. not fit for man nor beast out around here.

Magicman

We did have some tornado activity within ~5 miles of us yesterday, but nothing here.  The temperature has been gradually falling today and will dip below freezing tonight.   BBrrrrr for the deep South.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red

We were told a white out blizzard was coming today with up to 2 ft of snow . Now it is an advisory with 3-6 inches . The storm went east or ran out of steam .but I am not getting a Blizzard
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

curdog

We've got 6-7 inches and still coming down,  mainly sleet right now, but should switch back to snow

petefrom bearswamp

Seems like a lot of the gloom and doom weather predictions dont pan out but that is for the better.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

We had about 6" by mid morning so I took the leaf blower and blew me out a path to the road about 70 yards away. When I got near the road our county snow plow driver came by running wide open and covered me with snow and slush. I guess he was mad because he failed to knock my mailbox off the post on his way up like he used to do before I reinforced it. Never stopped to apologize or tell me to kiss his ___ or anything. Where do we get these guys?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

coxy

we had the same trouble with one of our town drivers covered the wife and my 6 year old daughter with slush  I got a call from the big wig at the town barn and said they took care of it    but please do send your wife over here again there is no talking to her when she is mad (I said try living with her ) but she had all the right to be mad I would not want that to happen to my wife and kid 

doctorb

Just getting started here in northern Maryland.  Could easily get over 2 feet as we are sorta in the bullseye of this storm.  Hunkered down with Jenny and planning to have a wonderful weekend.   Good thing we get along.  Worried about power outages due to the heavy snow and predicted winds.  Generator has enough fuel for 3 days or so.  If it's a record setter I might as well say I survived it!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Roxie

Stay warm and dry doctorb, and fill the bathtub with water for flushing, just in case. 
Say when

4x4American

Hope you have a woodstove!  If not you can keep warm by shoveling lol
Boy, back in my day..

Chuck White

All you guys in it's path, "hunker down", and when it comes to diggin' out, go easy, this is where many will meet their maker.

Be safe out there!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

submarinesailor

We have about 6" right now.  Earlier today I put the blower into the back of my truck so I can unload it right onto the sidewalk and start blowing.  I think I just may wait until about 10AM before I start.  Maybe the wind will be a little calmer. 

It is going to be very interesting around here if we get the 24"+ they keep talking about.  Right in the middle of the bullseye!

Bruce

Magicman

Keep you and your families safe guys.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: 4x4American on January 22, 2016, 08:54:57 PM
Hope you have a woodstove!  If not you can keep warm by shoveling lol

Yes I have a big wood burning heater and plenty of firewood.

Better than that I have natural gas and several years ago I installed a 1700 KVA Guardian/Generac whole house generator with ATS. Should we lose power 10 seconds later my generator cranks itself and takes over power to the house. Three years ago we had freak summer storms and were without power for 11 days here. Only time my generator was shut down was once to change the oil and a couple of times to check the oil. People with small generators had to worry about where to find fuel which was also in short supply but we never lost natural gas.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

paul case

I did like the quote from someone in government on the east coast

''We are preparing for the worst storm we have ever seen and we would be very happy to be underwhelmed''

:D

That storm went south of us. However we have had a whole week of teens for lows and 28 to 30 for highs. I am sick of it and ready for something better. The 2'' of styrafoam insulation in the roof of my sawshed seems to hold the cold in all day.

I hope youall in the path of this milk and bread economic upturn are safe and warm.

Pic of record cold and deep snow in feb 2011.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

submarinesailor

The 11PM models just came out and they upped the totals from 20-30" to 25 to 30+".  This is getting to be very interesting.

timberlinetree

Marcia and I driving in it in Va.

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Roxie

We still have power, or I wouldn't be here.   :)

Non-drifted areas have the snow over the seats of the lawn furniture.  This is blowing directly from the east, and that is going to be a problem in itself.  Our winds are expected from a westerly direction, so to establish protected areas, trees, wind blocks, and structures are oriented to block a north westerly flow.  Things like calf hutches here have the opening facing east.  The barns themselves are situated to have entrances facing east and south.  Also, our normal drifting patterns are thrown out the window with such an easterly blast. 

Having said that, snow is so much easier to deal with than ice.  I refuse to watch the weather channel with it's dramatic hysterics 24/7.   ::) 
Say when

tree-farmer

Finally stoped here. About 12 inches, got the snow plow on the tractor and will begin the task of plowing the mile of dirt road to get to the paved road. Elevation changes about 500 feet in that distance, makes for exciting ride at times. Chains on 4 x4 Kubota 34 hp help keep it in the road. Still not much fun.
Look forward to the day when I can just stay put til it melts. Got to have a outside job  for  now.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

red

4x4American are you Ok up there I sure would not have given you bad weather info . Hope you make it thru this !
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Peter Drouin

Too bad you can't get snow tires in the south. I see on TV the mess of cars on the road and all have summer tires.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

gspren

I got a raise! Yesterday we were to get 16-24" and now it's 24-36". I was just out and it's about 14" and coming down hard, poor old dog went a few feet in my tracks and turned around, in a few hours I'll fire up the walk behind blower and make a path, might wait till tomorrow to fire up the Kubota with 50" blower.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!