iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oil

Started by coxy, January 21, 2016, 08:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

Chevron      iso 100   does any know what it was used for  was told it was a food grade oil then was told it was oil for air drills/hammers   its clear and not to thick but its tacky going to use it for bar/chain oil 

snowstorm

years ago i used texaco rock drill oil for bar oil. it was cheap $5 for 5 gal

Magicman

Chevron ISO 100 is a very high grade of synthetic hydraulic/turbine oil with exceptional high temperature stability.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dgdrls

ISO designation is industrial oil
ISO oil used in Food Machines has an FM designation,

The comparison in viscosity for ISO 100 is in the range of SAE 30 weight oil

Dan

coxy

don't know if it makes a difference but it says aries iso 100

Gearbox

In the Chevron book ISO 100 is a heavy wt ISO 32 lube oil .I see nothing in the book with aries . [Its a 300 page book didn't read it all ] Then there is delo 100 for detroits. It may be newer or older than my book
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Gary_C

ISO 100 is a designation of viscosity. It is comparable to a SAE 30/40 weight.  You would need more information to determine how the oil was formulated. Could be a compressor oil, hydraulic oil, etc. I doubt it would be an engine oil if it does not have the engine type ratings.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

coxy

Quote from: Gary_C on January 23, 2016, 01:22:41 AM
ISO 100 is a designation of viscosity. It is comparable to a SAE 30/40 weight.  You would need more information to determine how the oil was formulated. Could be a compressor oil, hydraulic oil, etc. I doubt it would be an engine oil if it does not have the engine type ratings.
how do I find this out

Magicman

See Reply #2 above.  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gary_C

You would have to find more information from the packaging label. You have two identifiers, the manufacturer is Chevron and the viscosity is ISO 100. The other missing identifier would be the product identifier. There is no way of determining the use the product was formulated for without the product name.

But it makes little difference if you are going to use it for bar oil. It may not have the tackifiers that bar oil has but it is heavy enough to cling to your bar and chain long enough to provide the necessary lubrication. The only problem may be flow in cold weather.

Oils are formulated first by blending various feed stocks to establish the viscosity. Then they add various special additives like anti wear, extreme pressure, detergents, seal softeners, tackifiers, colors, etc for the intended use. It's nearly impossible to backtrack to determine the additives without a product label.

So it would be risky to use as an engine oil or hydraulic oil, compressor oil, or gear oil where specific additives are essential. Bar oil just needs to stick so the lubricant can do it's single pass job. It does not have to resist long term breakdown from heat nor suspend carbon nor keep seals soft nor protect gear teeth from extreme pressures. Just stick to it.

coxy

its vary tacky  thick but not real thick its a cool 10deg out and pours ok out of a 5 gal bucket in a 1gal jug used it yesterday seamed to be ok in the saw oiler but if it could be used for other things would be great to  MM I cant get the link to up load   thanks for all the help

Magicman

Google: Chevron ISO 100

dgdrls

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=323782&docFormat=PDF

"Chevron Aries lubricants are designed to give maximum protection to percussion rock drills. They are formulated from highly refined, high viscosity index, paraffinic base stocks and additives"

Dan

Gearbox

Good find .My book calls it Vistac . Like I said Older or newer .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Gary_C

Here is another Chevron ISO 100 that Google found.  Rando HD

Now we know that Chevron makes both Aries and Rando HD in an ISO 100 viscosity, nothing more.

coxy

Quote from: Magicman on January 23, 2016, 11:36:56 AM
Google: Chevron ISO 100
MM im lucky I can get on the ff let alone google something  :D oh what I did is   I went to the ff  :)  thanks for all the info guys

Magicman

OK, my Reply #2 was a direct quote from a Chevron site that I Googled.  That was their definition, not mine.   :)

coxy

well I bought 15 5gal buckets of it for 10$ a bucket should have bar oil for a while  :D

lumberjack48

I used it back in the 60's for bar oil. But was a little to expensive so i quit using it.

Rock Drill Oil

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!