iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best 70-80cc Saw?

Started by ReggieT, January 21, 2016, 07:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Quote from: wolf nemeth on June 23, 2016, 09:41:10 PM
Well, Ii hope it's not too late to  pile onto this thread.   Currently I am rying to cut all my  big ash trees (and they  ARE  big-ash trees) before the emerald ash borer kills them. right now I'm using a  saw with a 20" bar to take down  trees that are 36"+ at the stump.I have  looked at ebay (is that a good place to look?) for 440 and 044 in the $5-600 range.
  what's the biggest bar that I can put on a  044?.  I have been surprised at how tough ash can be on the mill, but it  seems like my biggest problem cuttin is the length of my bar....
I know tons of Pro's who run 28 inch bar's on their 044's, BUT they all run semi or skip tooth with chisel chain.
They never complain...just sling chips and make $$$$$$! popcorn_smiley

coppice

Quote from: wolf nemeth on June 23, 2016, 09:41:10 PM
Well, Ii hope it's not too late to  pile onto this thread.   Currently I am rying to cut all my  big ash trees (and they  ARE  big-ash trees) before the emerald ash borer kills them. right now I'm using a  saw with a 20" bar to take down  trees that are 36"+ at the stump.I have  looked at ebay (is that a good place to look?) for 440 and 044 in the $5-600 range.
  what's the biggest bar that I can put on a  044?.  I have been surprised at how tough ash can be on the mill, but it  seems like my biggest problem cuttin is the length of my bar....

A lively 044 (e.g. 10mm, no base gasket, opened muffler) will happily pull 28" of skip in ash.  Some of the later 440s were not quite as lively.  I've bought, sold, and built a bunch of 044s over the years and would always run 20" 8t on them, they all have been 10mm saws.  24" 7t with full-comp chain would be a good compromise on most 044/440s.  I would not go larger than 28" with skip on an 044/440 in hardwood.

I've run the 046/460 some, but never really enjoyed it - depending on the task, I would either wish I was running the lighter, more nimble 044, or had the grunt of an 066.  This is probably a minority position, given the love that is out there for the 046, but I'm sure you'll find at least a few guys who share my attitude.

Price-wise, a clean, turnkey 044 is going to be a $500 saw.  Ebay is always an option, but you are likely going to overpay compared to what you could buy from relabile sellers on some of the other forums.

HolmenTree

I can't think of many true 80cc displacement saws made today. But the toughest 80cc I ran was a Jonsereds 80, circa 1975.
Probably the best built saw for durability  ever,  even in today's standards.
My brother sold his to a neighbor farmer after owning it for 20 years with a couple years of logging on it at the start of its life.
Just recently 20 years later  the neighbor brings it back to my brother for a rebuild hoping to get another 20 years out of it for a total of 60 years :)

Here's another brother of mine running his 80 in a contest in the mid 1970's, he never sold this one .

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Timbercruiser

Try to find a 272 Husqvarna.  It was a great 70 cc saw .  Its much lighter than the 372 was.  Only better thing is the spring mounts on the 372 . Other than that its more bulky and not  as balance.

HolmenTree

Yep I got a 1993 Husqvarna 272 XP that has only a tank of fuel burnt in it. I have a early edition 372XP too.
They're both about the same weight but yes the 272 is more compact with better balance.
I don't know what to do with this saw.  Whether to finish my tree service career with it or sell it.
Here I'm comparing it to my 562XP.

John Mc

How does your 272 compare with the 562XP for balance, cutting power and overall feel?

I noticed the felling dogs are off the 272 in your last picture. Did you take them off and put on the bumper (or whatever you call the "dogless" guard part)? I did that on my 2152 and like it a lot better that way. The only time I was tempted to use the dogs on that was when the chain was dull - and in that case, I should have stopped to sharpen the chain by then anyway.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

John, two different animals. 562 is long and skinny to offer leverage for up to a factory recommended b/c of 28". Top handle low position center of gravity and like the 272 both have an outboard clutch to position the b/c closer to the center of the powerhead. This offers better balance of the b/c ergonomics plus better cooling with the clutch away from the crankcase.

The 272 is a tad shorter and lower then the 562 but wider. Of course the 272 has heavier internal parts but offers quite a bit more torque and h.p . The 562 handles better I won't deny that but it's a toy when compared to the 272 in the cutting power department.

My 272 XP only has a tank run through it so no where near broke in, but the power band is strong. It came with big heavy dogs and as you notice I changed out the box airfilter for the HD setup.
Also I removed the heavy wedge made out of lead from the chain brake lever as pictured.  Back in the day that was Husqvarna's idea of a "inertia chain brake". Too bad they didn't stick with their "Swede O Matic ", great concept starting back in the mid 1970s. I have since re installed the lead wedge in case I decide to sell the saw.

Yes the smooth aluminum bumper offers excellent usability with a 20" or shorter b/c in felling , limbing and topping......with a sharp chain of course.

When the 272 was introduced that was Husqvarna's answer to the Stihl 044AV  and it was quite a fierce competition back then in the pro market.

SawTroll

Quote from: Timbercruiser on August 21, 2016, 03:12:16 PM
Try to find a 272 Husqvarna.  It was a great 70 cc saw .  Its much lighter than the 372 was.  Only better thing is the spring mounts on the 372 . Other than that its more bulky and not  as balance.
The major asset of the 272xp was/is the outboard clutch, and resulting balance/handling - I dare say the 371xp and the original non-XT 372xp are better saws in all other respects.
Information collector.

David-L

I had some saws stolen recently and one was a 6400 Dolmar with an OEM 7900 jug and piston at it. That was my favorite saw with plenty of power in hardwood choppin. They got a 6100 to, that saw turned out to be a little screamer for the money. My last and only Dolmar left is a 120SI and it's still a powerful unit for it's size. Just bought a 2260 Johnny for my limbing saw, can't wait to break it in and use it.  People who steal a workin mans tools are the lowest on the planet.

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

HolmenTree

Sorry to hear about your bad luck David.
Those older Dolmars were ahead of their time, strong performing saws. 

ReggieT

Quote from: David-L on August 22, 2016, 08:51:03 PM
I had some saws stolen recently and one was a 6400 Dolmar with an OEM 7900 jug and piston at it. That was my favorite saw with plenty of power in hardwood choppin. They got a 6100 to, that saw turned out to be a little screamer for the money. My last and only Dolmar left is a 120SI and it's still a powerful unit for it's size. Just bought a 2260 Johnny for my limbing saw, can't wait to break it in and use it.  People who steal a workin mans tools are the lowest on the planet.

Hmm...Chainsaw thieves...there must be a special hell awaiting them!
Speaking of the Sachs Dolmar 120si...I have a 116si which has proven to be small beast of a saw! 8)
Aren't the piston/cylinder exchangeable on these two saw?
Mine is very temperamental...it starts on full choke and when I adjust it... sometimes cuts out...more often than staying lit!! arg-smiley

David-L

Reggie, mine 120SI ok, but you can flood it easy with the injection carb. I am going to pick up another 7910 once my insurance check comes for my big choppin saw. Those crooks got my old 285 husky that was a one owner saw with a 24" tsumari bar on it to. They probably got squat for them and got high for the day, scumbags. Thank You Holmen tree for the kind words. 

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

ReggieT

Quote from: David-L on August 23, 2016, 06:26:34 AM
Reggie, mine 120SI ok, but you can flood it easy with the injection carb. I am going to pick up another 7910 once my insurance check comes for my big choppin saw. Those crooks got my old 285 husky that was a one owner saw with a 24" tsumari bar on it to. They probably got squat for them and got high for the day, scumbags. Thank You Holmen tree for the kind words. 

Hate to hear that about the saws!
What do you do to avoid the flooding on your 120si?
This is driving me stir crazy!!

Ada Shaker

Quote from: HolmenTree on August 21, 2016, 10:57:27 PM
Yep I got a 1993 Husqvarna 272 XP that has only a tank of fuel burnt in it. I have a early edition 372XP too.
They're both about the same weight but yes the 272 is more compact with better balance.
I don't know what to do with this saw.  Whether to finish my tree service career with it or sell it.
Here I'm comparing it to my 562XP.

Ever considered selling the business lock stock & barrel when you retire or isn't it the done thing your way?.
Sometimes a good business that has been established x number of years can be worth something, an established business with a good reputable name is worth a quid and can at times be worth more than its material assets.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

HolmenTree

Yeah the day will come to sell off the business lock stock and barrel.
I just love staying busy and I still got alot of good working life in me.
The trick is train up somebody young  and sell the business onto them.

I do have a strong athletic 24 year son who is laid off from the oil field industry.........

weimedog

Quote from: HolmenTree on August 26, 2016, 10:34:07 AM

I do have a strong athletic 24 year son who is laid off from the oil field industry.........

Funny...My sons, all quite capable; thought about the struggle keeping the farm up and going and decided to bug out! Two military (lifers I think) and one automated manufacturing equipment service & installation (He has Military time too). Of the girls, the only one interested in "ag" related things decided to go to Veterinarian School for a Doctorate degree and will probably have her own practice. Rather be that person who can come and help ... then leave! The other works in the Pharmaceutical industry...laughing at all the others I think.

Have no idea what will become of what my wife & I built here.

Best 80cc saw?? There are a pile of good ones. My favorite is my 820/920 Jonsered. Guess it's more than 80cc's but its a big saw. Old. Heavy. Obsolete design. Hard to find parts for. ( I have collected enough bits and pieces to keep my three running for my life time over the years. ) But I like it. Simple as that. Best "bang per buck" in that class has to be something based on a Husqvarna 365/372 Jonsered 2165-2171 chassis. That's when price, performance, parts  availability, aftermarket support.. etc. added up. OR maybe the Stihl 046-MS460 series for a little more money.....maybe the Dolmar 7900 series to be different?? Guess there are lots of good solid choices. GREAT time to have a CAD moment.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

BroncoRN

372xp would be my vote ->pre x-torque is possible.  Weight feels right and saw is very management, good all around saw.
Echo cs440
Husky 350
Husky 455
Husky 372xp
Husky 395xp
Poulan s25da
Poulan 2750
Homelite Super 2
Homelite SXL 925
Stihl HT75
Mcculloch 1-71

SawTroll

What is best depends on a lot of factors, but if max power is the only criteria, the 79cc PS-7900 is hard to get around if stock also is a criteria.

When moving into modded saws the picture changes dramatically as it looks to me, and the original much smaller 50mm/70.7cc (not the 51.4mm/74.6cc or the XT) 372xp likely is the winner, if modified by the right person.

If I should pick am available stock saw in this class today I would be in trouble, as the 572xpg hasn't hit the market yet, and I don't really see any suitable alternatives.
Information collector.

ReggieT

Grabbed the Dolmar 116si today and it fired up after about 5 pulls...YET after easing off the throttle & adjusting the choke off  "full-choke" it just died out...then refused to fire.
Did manage to noodle one small chunk of ash...
As I recall it was doing that off & on some last season.

Any ideas other than E-Bay, Craigslist, or here for $150 plus the ride??? :-[ :'( :'(

Thanks
Reg

Ada Shaker

Quote from: weimedog on August 27, 2016, 10:57:34 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on August 26, 2016, 10:34:07 AM

Funny...My sons, all quite capable; thought about the struggle keeping the farm up and going and decided to bug out! Two military (lifers I think) and one automated manufacturing equipment service & installation (He has Military time too). Of the girls, the only one interested in "ag" related things decided to go to Veterinarian School for a Doctorate degree and will probably have her own practice. Rather be that person who can come and help ... then leave! The other works in the Pharmaceutical industry...laughing at all the others I think.

Have no idea what will become of what my wife & I built here.

It's pretty straight forward. You've built a home and raised a family in it. Doesn't get much better than that IMHO.
We all work hard in the hopes that our kids can lead a better life than we did.
There are times when we have to separate our emotional feelings in order to make a logical decision in our lives, if you know what I mean.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

ehp

AS far as best saws goes, I liked the older 372 but no more than how I like the new 365/372 xt. The same I'm cutting with right now is a 2012 model , I just like how it runs and yes its ported. I got brandnew xts sitting in the shop waiting their turn . I run a different saw in the winter months so a 372 xpg but its a xt model as well. I like the heated handles playing in the snow . Im going to run a new 461 arctic this winter on the landing , I like them as well. I have cut a lot of timber with the 7900 dolmar and there a good saw to. I never have much trouble with saws and I run them hard but listen very close when I run them , Never had a crank bearing issue or piston problem ever

SawTroll

Quote from: ehp on September 24, 2016, 12:22:51 PM
.... I have cut a lot of timber with the 7900 dolmar and there a good saw to. I never have much trouble with saws and I run them hard but listen very close when I run them , Never had a crank bearing issue or piston problem ever

The current 7910 isn't the same saw though. .5 hp less stock according to specs, and on paper much heavier as well. The weight reports on the 7900 were all over the place though, some reported numbers were just as high as the specs for the 7910. ???
Information collector.

ehp

there still new 7900's sitting around here , they never sold well in this area , if its not a stihl or husky its going to sit

mad murdock

My favorite saw in the 70-80 cc class of all time has to be the 10 series McC.  7-10, PM 700, CP70, even the PM 800, SP81 etc. of current or recent production, got to be the 372 XPW. Mine I think is a 2005 mfg year.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!