iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best 70-80cc Saw?

Started by ReggieT, January 21, 2016, 07:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

And I thought a "Modded" piston was a good thing. :)   Fun aside I hope you decide to build that saw back to running condition. Cool old saws.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

ReggieT

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 24, 2016, 11:24:58 AM
Quote from: ReggieT on January 23, 2016, 10:33:24 PM
Not looking good for the home team! :'( smiley_furious smiley_hanged

ReggieT it looks like you straight gassed  that saw
Check your  fuel. Also looks like your piston was modified from looking at that ground off top edge.
NO Way!
Perfect 40-1 mix...if anything a little rich-more than lean.
This saw is approaching Rocky Marciano's perfect record of 49-0...5 saw shops and nobody can fix it! :'(
Now for the MILLION DOLLAR question...should I take back to guy who just "supposedly" fixed it?

RIDE-RED 350r

She's burning down for a reason.... If you know your fuel mix is good, there is likely to be an air leak somewhere...

Crank bearings and seals been done recently or at all?? Assuming everything in the intake tract is in good shape and not allowing an air leak....
Swedish, you know, like the chef.

mad murdock

That saw is woth fixing IMO,  you should be able to scrounge psrts for it.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

HolmenTree

Quote from: ReggieT on January 23, 2016, 01:57:39 AM
Well fellows in the meantime...just picked up this lil fellow from the shop!
No scored nothing, burnt cylinder NOT! (I don't know what type of hallucinogens my previous saw tech was on!) smiley_whacko
He swore up & down the saw was toast!!!! huh-smiley
Carb work/fuel line...$60 and "DA DA!"
THE 116SI IS BACK---ONE PULL---ONE START!!!
GLORY!!!

OK I'm confused now.  The tech said this 116 was toast.....which one of you are on hallucinogens? :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ReggieT

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 24, 2016, 10:59:55 PM
Quote from: ReggieT on January 23, 2016, 01:57:39 AM
Well fellows in the meantime...just picked up this lil fellow from the shop!
No scored nothing, burnt cylinder NOT! (I don't know what type of hallucinogens my previous saw tech was on!) smiley_whacko
He swore up & down the saw was toast!!!! huh-smiley
Carb work/fuel line...$60 and "DA DA!"
THE 116SI IS BACK---ONE PULL---ONE START!!!
GLORY!!!

OK I'm confused now.  The tech said this 116 was toast.....which one of you are on hallucinogens? :D
Obviously you've not been following my "War & Peace" novel concerning this saw.
The Tech before this guy deemed it toast...the last guy said there was nothing wrong other than a little carb/ fuel line issues...it was from him that I picked it up this past Fri.
Although I'm questioning my own sanity or "gluttony for pain" for my dogged continuance in trying to resurrect this saw!
Perhaps its personal now...the saw is committed to death...I'm committed to it living! teeter_totter
A type of "man vs machine" War of Attrition! whiteflag_smiley 

HolmenTree

ooookaaaaaaay........ :laugh:

ReggieT

"IT'S----ALIVE!"  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) dancing-jack dancing-jack

Kill switch was shorting out, choke was backwards, and two screws were missing at the bottom of the case.
RUNS LIKE A SCALDED DOG  NOW!
THANKS for all the advice & council guys smiley_bouncing

Reg

skipster

I have a 460,and a 10mm 044.
although the power feels around the same,the 044 balances beautifully and is much nicer to use.

ReggieT

If i could find a sweet 044...my saw hunting & CAD would be over...I think! fishin-smiley

mad murdock

The only cure for CAD is finding another "barn find" cleaning it up and getting it going. Especially the classic awesomness you just got to purr in the SD 116. Very capable and excellent saw even when compared to new saws available today, IMO.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

4x4American

Quote from: ReggieT on January 28, 2016, 05:36:49 AM
If i could find a sweet 044...my saw hunting & CAD would be over...I think! fishin-smiley

YEA RIGHT!!  :D :D :D :D

Boy, back in my day..

ReggieT

Hey...I said,"I think/reckon!"
Just went to a yard sale and saw a Husky 288XP with 28 inch bar & 142XP minty looking...guy wants $250 for the pair...but must check with his son to see if he wants them!!!
AAARGGG! ::) say_what
Of course if I were to lasso this pair...I'd certainly retire, as that would be the "logical, common-sense" thing to do...right??
;)
Later, Craigslist is a calling!

HolmenTree

That's OK ReggieT.....4×4 American at 24 years old  probably never ever used a 044 let alone even  seeing one.
Heck he wasn't even born when the 044 was introduced  :D

4x4American

HolmenTree I was hinting that his CAD would not be over if he got an 044.

I haven't gotten a colonoscopy yet, so I'll enjoy being 24 as long as I can, 044 or not.   ;D
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

ReggieT you'll never be cured now that you have CAD.  You might as well start making space...
Boy, back in my day..

HolmenTree

Quote from: 4x4American on January 30, 2016, 10:44:09 PM
HolmenTree I was hinting that his CAD would not be over if he got an 044.

I haven't gotten a colonoscopy yet, so I'll  ;Denjoy being 24 as long as I can, 044 or not.   ;D
I was only teasing 4x4 ;D
Yes to be 24 again would be a nice, but I sure wouldn't  want to have to start all over again :D

OH logger

372 all the way and remember ....though shalt not STIHL ;D
john

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mad murdock

Quote from: OH logger on February 01, 2016, 09:31:15 PM
372 all the way and remember ....though shalt not STIHL ;D
I have never heard that one before :D good one.  I have heard STIHL not running though ;)

HolmenTree

Pronunciation can be a regional or just a "don't know thing"......Still or Steel :D

beenthere

In German, steel is "stahl", and still is "immer noch".   ;)

And Stihl is sounding like "steel" in English, as I have been told. 

Per google search
QuoteLong I is pronounced like "ee" in the English word "beet". In German it's almost always spelled either "ih" or "ie". Examples: ihn, wie, liegen.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mad murdock

danka for that clarification bt.  Kidding aside, they do have some good saws, though my tastes lean toward the old black and yeller ones.

wolf nemeth

Well, Ii hope it's not too late to  pile onto this thread.   Currently I am rying to cut all my  big ash trees (and they  ARE  big-ash trees) before the emerald ash borer kills them. right now I'm using a  saw with a 20" bar to take down  trees that are 36"+ at the stump.I have  looked at ebay (is that a good place to look?) for 440 and 044 in the $5-600 range.
  what's the biggest bar that I can put on a  044?.  I have been surprised at how tough ash can be on the mill, but it  seems like my biggest problem cuttin is the length of my bar....
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

DelawhereJoe

Me personally I would look for a 046, 460 stihl...a few more cc's and more hp for longer bars without any real weight difference.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Thank You Sponsors!