iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT15 Diesel Mod

Started by UN Hooker, January 21, 2016, 04:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UN Hooker

No not the motor! But maybe in the near future. Anyhow, I been sawing all the sappy EWP all fall to finish the B&B siding using water/pinesol/cascade and a few other "additives. None of it worked well, most of it splashed off and landed on the cant 6" ahead of the blade, which did little to remove the pitch on the blade and belts. About 3/4 way thru, I got a couple days break ( weather ) so to the shop & started working on what I been "thinkin on". Built it, installed it and finished sawing the rest of the boards. WOW, the blade was spotless and the belts were almost,and sawing about 15-16' logs it used way less than 1/2 qt. of diesel.

Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

ncsawyer

Diesel works on sticky pine sap very well!  I keep an oil can full of diesel by the mill the spray on my blade if I get into a sticky spot.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

UN Hooker

Yes, I did the spray bottle of diesel too, but that got old fast. This is the second best mod. I've done to this saw since I bought it.

UN
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ga Mtn Man

Very nice job.  What did you make the wick holder out of?  Got any dis-assembled pics?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

thecfarm

Good idea. I have a drip system,a slow drip,and that seem to use as much diesel too. With mine I have 2 valves,one to adjust the flow and one to turn off when I am loading a log or not sawing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

UN Hooker

Thanks for all the compliments.
  Ga Mtn Man
  Its all made of SS. The felt holder started as 1"dia. 1/16 wall tubing. Pre-flattend in a milling vice, forced a piece of 3/8 x 1" in it then spanked that in the hyd. press to get the sides flat. That's the felt holder. If all goes well, I plan to bring the head & one section in the shop next month, then I can take it apart & take some pics.

c-farm
  I have 2 valves on this also, top one is electric and opens at full throttle, second is needle valve and only opened a crack to adjust the drip.

UN

YellowHammer

That looks professional 8)
Very well done. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Jemclimber

Looks very nice!!! Can you elaborate on the electric valve that opens at full throttle?
Where you got it and how it's hooked up?
lt15

slider

Do you have any plans for wiping the bottom of the band.I have seen just as much pitch build up there as on top.
al glenn

Sixacresand

I like the idea of wicking instead of dripping and also with wicking I see the possibility of lubing the under side of the blade as Slider mentioned above.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

UN Hooker

Quote from: Jemclimber on January 22, 2016, 07:29:50 AM
Looks very nice!!! Can you elaborate on the electric valve that opens at full throttle?
Where you got it and how it's hooked up?

Jemclimber

I have a micro switch mounted so when you engage the blade/throttle lever, it energizes the 12V solenoid by completing the ground circuit.

This is at idle

This is at full throttle

The valve I bought on e-bay, but I don't know how much of that info I can post on here  w/out "gettin shot at"

UN

Jemclimber

lt15

UN Hooker

Quote from: slider on January 22, 2016, 08:22:29 AM
Do you have any plans for wiping the bottom of the band.I have seen just as much pitch build up there as on top.

slider
   I've not had a problem with the bottom of the blade, on mine the sawdust/pitch gets squashed between the blade and the belts and just keeps building up.
  Just keeping the felt damp, the blade runs clean as new.

I looked at the guide assy. today, looks like a bottom felt assy. could be fitted. The only issue may be making a mount that is adjustable. Next month when I have the head in the shop, I'll check and see what it involves.
           UN

Thank You Sponsors!